Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
so whatever happened to the IP cells dominating the electric market hype? >

so whatever happened to the IP cells dominating the electric market hype?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

so whatever happened to the IP cells dominating the electric market hype?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 04:11 PM
Tech Master

Thumbs down so whatever happened to the IP cells dominating the electric market hype?

3 months ago i kept reading about how the IP cell was dominating the big races and we all had to go out and buy them?

now i haven't heard about them in months?

i'm thinking 1.21 @35 amps turned out to be better than 1.20@ 35 amps after all? imagine that!
Old 05-01-2006, 04:13 PM
MrC
Tech Initiate

Maybe check the results of the recent LRP Touring Car Masters (TCM) in Eppelheim. The tech chart is pretty interesting.

www.lrp-hpi-challenge.com/eppelheim06/

Cheers
Andy
Old 05-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Tech Regular

...If the IP/Infinite Power Cell were the cell to have, everyone would be buying them, from matchers to racers. Seems to me that the IB/Intellect Brothers cell is the most popular cell over the IP, GP, etc;

The market will always decide...remember when we all had GP 3300 cells?
Old 05-01-2006, 04:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Todd Putnam
...If the IP/Infinite Power Cell were the cell to have, everyone would be buying them, from matchers to racers. Seems to me that the IB/Intellect Brothers cell is the most popular cell over the IP, GP, etc;

All hail the collective mind of the free market!
Old 05-01-2006, 05:38 PM
Tech Initiate

3 months ago i kept reading about how the IP cell was dominating the big races and we all had to go out and buy them?

now i haven't heard about them in months?

i'm thinking 1.21 @35 amps turned out to be better than 1.20@ 35 amps after all? imagine that!

By UCHEATULOSE

Gee then why did the Snow Birds Ban the IP cells and Why did www.focars.net.

Then why did the Florida State oval Series Ban the use of the IP cells if they where so bad?
The IP cells are a very very good cell. I have matched many IP cells
and they are getting better and better with every batch we get in.

Your comment about 1.21 @ 35 amps vs 1.20 @ 35, If you compare the run time we are finding the IP cells have more run time than the IB's 15 - 20 seconds more. That will bring down the ave voltage on any cell.

Now I will say that the IB cells are also a great cell. I think it is great that racers have more than 1 brand of cells to pick from. There are alot of very good matchers out there also. And when I have customers come and ask for IB's. I'll send them to Express or EA

Last edited by DCARD; 05-01-2006 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Some matchers have been claiming the GP4300 is the best. Some claim the IP is the best. Since Cleveland, almost all the major races in the US have been won by Intellect cells. Then you have 9 out of 10 at the LRP race running Intellect. I guess there are some matchers you can trust to guide the consumer towards the best cells and some matchers who want to promote their own agenda. Hype only goes so far. Performance is what counts.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

DCARD- they didn't ban them because they were so BAD, they banned them because they were so BIG. At the time, ROAR did not recognize the cell as being legal because they were too long. They have since changed the rule to allow these cells to compete.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:22 PM
Tech Master

sorry focars did not ban the IP cell...the racers did, every member got a vote.

what i'm asking is........the IP cell threads have all died? that goes for hobby talk as well? honestly i thought there would be more interest in the IP cells. i realy can't believe how quickly they vanished on the boards.things have seemed to settle down and most of the racers have chosen one cell over all of the rest it seems? this is not a salt in the wounds thread, i was asking a honest question. next year there will be new batteries and a new vote for the 2007 season. again the racers will decide what they want to run for 2007. as a racer myself i'm kinda happy there isn't a cell of the month. it keeps the costs down..and with gas prices at 3.00 a gallon i need costs down.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

the arguement about IP's vs IB's reminds me of an arguement between a Purple P170's and a Black SCRC 1700, TRINITY's ad read something like 9 out of 10 cars at the WORLDS ran P170's (trying to imply since that was what was run...it was the best) but it had something like a 1.07 volt average vs the SCRC's 1.15. Once guys figured out you had to gear down a tad to make up for the extra RPM generated by MORE VOLTAGE, the P170's vanished~

A lot of US still would have the 3300's, but everytime a NEW cell comes out the MATCHERS quit matching the ones we have...so in large part our hands are forced to change.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:24 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SWTour
A lot of US still would have the 3300's, but everytime a NEW cell comes out the MATCHERS quit matching the ones we have...so in large part our hands are forced to change.
Very well said

The market is now being driven by the cell manufacturers, and it's not a question on whether or not they are better, it's a question of "Do we actually need them?"
Old 05-02-2006, 10:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour

Why would anyone want 3300's any more? if the matchers "forced" us to go to IB's then we should all thank them. The IB's are the best cells I ever owned and at very good prices At the Rubber Touring Car Nationals last weekend at Trackside they were selling SMC packs with 1.213 volts and 420 run times at 35 amps for $45 a pack ..... tell me that isnt a better performing cell and cheaper than any 3300.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

At the Rubber Touring Car Nationals last weekend at Trackside they were selling SMC packs with 1.213 volts and 420 run times at 35 amps for $45 a pack ..... tell me that isnt a better performing cell and cheaper than any 3300.
And how much RUN TIME/ WASTED ENERGY is dumped into a discharge tray?

3 minutes?
4 minutes?

And if Everyone has the same 1.213 packs vs. everyone having the same 1.19 packs isn't the field ALL going to be pretty equal?

I agree the IB's have been GREAT CELLS, but I wasn't disappointed with the GP3300's I had...and with the rapid technology changes in NiMh technology, I won't be suprised to see either a GP or IB5000 by Christmas
Old 05-02-2006, 11:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

We all paid more for good GP's then for the superior IB's... I like to get more for my money. I for one like to run in the front of the discharge curve... are you suggesting we go back to 2000's so we use all of the run time? Boy your really gonna hate LiPo's
Old 05-03-2006, 05:11 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ottoman
We all paid more for good GP's then for the superior IB's... I like to get more for my money. I for one like to run in the front of the discharge curve... are you suggesting we go back to 2000's so we use all of the run time? Boy your really gonna hate LiPo's
I think the point is that having the latest technology is all well and good - but only if it actually helps you to acheive something that wasn't possible before.

Think about it this way - if one driver gains an advantage over similar skilled drivers by using some great new battery - then the other drivers will run out and buy them too. The end result is that the status-quo has been returned - but everyone is now a little bit poorer for it.

The question we need to ask is not wether or not the latest cells are better (because we know they certainly are), it's whether or not we NEEDED to have them introduced?
Hence my comment that the sport is being driven by the cell manufacturers.

Shouldn't we at the least look at how we can actually utilize these great cells effectively, rather than simply discharging half of them away on our pit bench?

In Mod class the constant battery improvements are just making the class more expensive and maintenance intensive, not due to the cells themselvses, but due to the increased voltage and run-time letting us run absolutely insane motors. These problem didn't exist a few years ago simply because it wasn't possible to go this quick.

Brushless may be the answer here - but when everyone starts running near-identical brushless systems, then cells will become singularly important in providing a competitor an edge - and that may lead to a "battery of the month" type situation.

Ok, enough ranting.. as I've gone quite ot now anyway
Old 05-03-2006, 06:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

While I do agree that the race for battery supremacy between the various Chinese companies is out of control at times, you must realize that we are so much better off than when we were using Sanyo. Back then, you would have one date code every so often that was SO much better than the rest that the big teams would stockpile cells. These date codes would essentially be like running a whole new cell, they were that much better. Now, the consistency of the batches ensures that the average racer gets cells that are every bit as good as the team cells. In fact, we do not save cells for the team until right before a race in an effort to keep all our packs fresh. This means that day in and day out we are selling the best cells ("team" and production) to the consumer. This was not the case back when Sanyo was the cell of choice. Everyone scrambled for that great date code and if you got stuck with a bad one, you were sitting on cells for a while.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.