Novarossi engines thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 12:56 PM
NFI
Tech Apprentice

Hi All

This is a very newby question but i have only just got into
Nitro onroad Rc.
What is the difference between the Flash tuned motors and the Tuned motors.
Sorry for the silly question but i can't find this info anywhere.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kyosho malaysia
Do anyone noticed that the fuel consumption for nova PT 12 is much more higher than nova FLASH 12,FLASH i can run 6 min with engine temp 125 cel but PT i only able to make 5min30sec with engine temp 135 cel.
maybe engine tuning problem?
Ii'm not claiming to be a tuning expert; but there is a perception amongst many that I know, saying you won't get really good run time with the PTS engines. We get 5min.30sec just like you on a very fast track, but our engine comes in at around 110 deg. High oil content in the fuel, makes engines run hotter and can make them a bit harder to tune, and just 1% difference in oil content can make a significant difference.

5 min. 30sec is enough to do a 5 min qualifier, so we're satisfied with the run time, and we're not concerned about doing 5 stops in 30 min in a 30 minute race. That's waht most other driver do on fast tracks; and we've had engines that just wouldn't do a 5 minute qualifier when the first lap didn't count, and using 4min 30 second fuel stops.

However; we just couldn't get 5 minutes when the PTS engine was new; but apparently tuning and fuel economy problems are common in green engines. We love the engine though; it's the best that we've had, and I would recommend it to anyone who's looking for a very fast, easy to tune and reliable engine.

We're going to use the new Capricorn SQ-R (Novarossi based) engine today and in the Aussie Nats in two weeks time, and reports are that this engine is even better.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:43 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by NFI
Hi All

This is a very newby question but i have only just got into
Nitro onroad Rc.
What is the difference between the Flash tuned motors and the Tuned motors.
Sorry for the silly question but i can't find this info anywhere.
You didn't really ask the question quite properly.
The "tuned" engines are modified versions of the standard engines eg. Novarossi Flash .12 is standard and the Flash .12 "Tuned" is factory modified.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Chickentrader
Ii'm not claiming to be a tuning expert; but there is a perception amongst many that I know, saying you won't get really good run time with the PTS engines. We get 5min.30sec just like you on a very fast track, but our engine comes in at around 110 deg. High oil content in the fuel, makes engines run hotter and can make them a bit harder to tune, and just 1% difference in oil content can make a significant difference.

5 min. 30sec is enough to do a 5 min qualifier, so we're satisfied with the run time, and we're not concerned about doing 5 stops in 30 min in a 30 minute race. That's waht most other driver do on fast tracks; and we've had engines that just wouldn't do a 5 minute qualifier when the first lap didn't count, and using 4min 30 second fuel stops.

However; we just couldn't get 5 minutes when the PTS engine was new; but apparently tuning and fuel economy problems are common in green engines. We love the engine though; it's the best that we've had, and I would recommend it to anyone who's looking for a very fast, easy to tune and reliable engine.

We're going to use the new Capricorn SQ-R (Novarossi based) engine today and in the Aussie Nats in two weeks time, and reports are that this engine is even better.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
I m using 16% nitro and 9% oil content in both engine,if i set the engine temp at 110 cel i can't the actual performance of the engine,because my country temp is between 33~36 cel,for me better run-time is a advantage in a race. sirio nemesis we can get nearly 7 min run-time with engine temp 120 cel.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kyosho malaysia
I m using 16% nitro and 9% oil content in both engine,if i set the engine temp at 110 cel i can't the actual performance of the engine,because my country temp is between 33~36 cel,for me better run-time is a advantage in a race. sirio nemesis we can get nearly 7 min run-time with engine temp 120 cel.

how do you compare the nemesis one with the top other engines?
Old 10-08-2011, 07:44 PM
NFI
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by DJ_Shakespear
The "tuned" engines are modified versions of the standard engines eg. Novarossi Flash .12 is standard and the Flash .12 "Tuned" is factory modified.
Awesome thanks for the info
Old 10-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DJ_Shakespear
There is no "standard" version of the .12 Flash...

"Tuned" engines is just a designation Novarossi gives them to say they are modified. But it does not mean they sell the engine without the factory modification.

Current "Standard" engines in the Touring (.12) department could be considered the LL3 and the Plus SCT.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:55 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Riketsu
There is no "standard" version of the .12 Flash...

"Tuned" engines is just a designation Novarossi gives them to say they are modified. But it does not mean they sell the engine without the factory modification.
If there is no "standard" version, what is then the meaning of "tuned"? Tuned means modified from standard. If you reffer to fancy stuff like teardrops and extra flowed, this is becomming more standard.

Can you see it is just a selling item?
Old 10-09-2011, 05:38 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Roelof
If there is no "standard" version, what is then the meaning of "tuned"? Tuned means modified from standard. If you reffer to fancy stuff like teardrops and extra flowed, this is becomming more standard.

I tend to agree, "TUNED" is more a sales department song. How does claim to tune an engine before it's run in? Maybe they sang happy songs at the factory, handed out some free Vino and made the new cooling heads the same colour as the wine and everyone is happier now.

But... no matter what's written on them, they are great engines!
Old 10-09-2011, 06:39 AM
Tech Regular

'TUNED' engines have changes to the crank and block. You can look at the exploded view of each engine to see the differences. The changes make the engine produce more power than the normal version.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blis
I tend to agree, "TUNED" is more a sales department song. How does claim to tune an engine before it's run in? Maybe they sang happy songs at the factory, handed out some free Vino and made the new cooling heads the same colour as the wine and everyone is happier now.

But... no matter what's written on them, they are great engines!
Tuned engines have minor changes (improvements) and usually use some ceramic components, but "tuned" is probably a misnomer. But our "tuned" PTS is certainly singing sweet songs.

Kindest
Old 10-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

TUNED all started when the first 353 "2008" came out....

the stock "standard" was an absolute slug then they brought out the 353 08 tuned version which was pretty good but they stop making then in 2009 because they change the crank pin design.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:31 PM
Tech Lord

Still is is not talking about a 353 but as Flash .12. So if there is no non-tuned version there can not be a tuned version.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof

If I remember correctly, they came out with a Tuned version of the Novarossi 353/C. It had a different crankshaft.

They just passed on the "Tuned" name to the Flash engines to specify that it was as good or better than the 353.

I just see it as a selling gimmick or eye candy for the racers/customers.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by desotoracing
'TUNED' engines have changes to the crank and block. You can look at the exploded view of each engine to see the differences. The changes make the engine produce more power than the normal version.
What is the normal version of the Flash PT series? I have only seen tuned versions. I would like some Flash PT .12, and .21 that are not tuned, and cheaper. I think that could help some people who are afraid of the price try the Novarossi brand. They are great engines, but expensive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.