Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jgil089
  • 1 Post By GerryH

ITS CHARGER TIME - WHICH ONE?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 02:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default ITS CHARGER TIME - WHICH ONE?

Hey guys im looking to buy a charger, I have two NEW ORION 5000 LIPO batteries... but im so confused on what charging system to get... my local hobby shop is saying the JUNSI which looks awesome but its like 300 bucks... so I was thinking the VENOM duo pro for 110 bucks.. are the the same chargers... is there any value for me to spend so much on the JUNSI? I do plan to hit the track once a while... but who knows how much... one thing I can't stand is waiting 3 hours for charge then running my car for only 15 min... hope someone can give some good advice for a rooking just starting up..
Old 05-01-2020, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

no need to buy a duo charger on the much better icharger you can charge 2 batteries at once as long as there starting voltage is near the same.. go more now you will be happier in the end..a 180 watt total charger is still gonna be a long charge time till you run..I bought a Gt 1200 for 99 $ a few months ago. rev might still have some for cheap ull just need a power supply
Old 05-01-2020, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

they still have a great deal..GT1200
Old 05-01-2020, 07:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by the rc guy
they still have a great deal..GT1200
Thanks for sharing... so my battery is a 5C charge rate ... at 5000 mah this = 5A battery, with a 5C this means 5x5 = 25A charge rate??... is this the max charge rate of my battery or the suggested? or should I charge it at 5A-10A ... how long of a charge is this...

Also does Wattage of charger make any difference..what number should I be looking at to gage how fast and good a charger is... im assuming I need something with a Max charge rate of 25A ?? but if it has a wattage of 1200W does that mean it charges faster than an 800W charger.. even tho they both offer 25A charge rates?? sorry just a little confused with this..
Old 05-03-2020, 07:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The wattage matters because different batteries have different voltages, so to charge 25A for a 2 cell battery takes less power (lower Watts) than to charge a 4 cell or 6 cell battery. For 2 cell batteries like yours you won't need as much power. Some brands have misleading power outputs especially on ac/dc chargers, and can only achieve their maximum power when connected to a DC power supply. Or may share their total power output across multiple outputs. You will need a 12V power supply to run the icharger as it is a DC only charger. The RL Power Supplies is a good option for something ready to go.

25C charge rate would mean charging at 5 times the capacity of the battery, so yes a maximum charge rate of 25A. Charging at high rates is harder on the batteries but is also much faster (you might charge a battery in 10 minutes or so).

A less expensive but still very good option from Junsi is the iCharger X6. Like the larger ichargers it does need a DC power supply but can still charge at up to 30A.

Old 05-03-2020, 09:24 PM
Tech Regular

I only charge at 1C (some clubs impose limits on charge rates too) and its usually about half an hour to charge a 2S battery from storage voltage. I have just bought a HTRC C240 dual charger which charges at up to 10amps, and with 150w total across 2 channels it is fine for 2S batteries. It can use a DC power supply which gives 240W but I only use AC power. Its about USD60 on Banggood. I thought it was worth trying as it does everything I need and is cheap, and so far so good.
rustyus likes this.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hota...https://www.banggood.com/brands-HOTA-b-1727.html
Old 05-04-2020, 10:03 PM
Tech Elite

The thing is you want a charger that will stay stabile thru time.. Some chargers will not and the balance circuits are not the best.. A 1c charge when a battery is at storage voltage should take under a hour .so you have to figure how much am I going to use this charger?.sure a charger that has a built in power source is ok but I have seen to many ps fail...I was testing a new lipo a Guy had he wanted real world tests on it so I put it in my sct and drove it hard during a qualifier came off the track a little warm battery only used 1750 millamps outa 5000 it took him less than 20 minutes to get battery to full charge again..I had track personal come up and look at my charge rate and some say 1 thing and you see and here another(no biggy) now will you charge at only 1c always..Id say no you will have 15 minutes to play and want a charger than you can push so why not get it 1st instead of 3 chargers later...
Old 05-16-2020, 01:29 PM
Tech Rookie

I went with the Hobbymate D6 duo pro smart charger. Its easy to use, extremely powerful and auto detects what kind of battery you have. The only caveat is that the price is around $150 and you have to supply your own charging cables. But look it up on Youtube, its nothing but rave reviews, definitely worth the price imho!
Old 05-16-2020, 02:04 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Get one of the small Junsi’s. Either the x6 or x8 and a set of matching charge leads. Its all anyone needs.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/junsi-i...jun-x8/p945383
Old 05-17-2020, 09:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Most of the reasons racers are going with the iCharger duo is so they can do high amp discharge/charge (think 30-40 amps) cycles to internally heat the battery and get lower resistance which improves punch. But it can have a negative impact on battery life. And as was mentioned, some tracks don't allow it because it's against ROAR rules and they operate under ROAR insurance. All the tracks I've been to around my home in IL don't enforce this.

The other thing is that for a 5 min race, I'm usually only using 500-1500mah of capacity depending on the vehicle. Large ones taking more, smaller ones less. It very rarely takes more than 15 minutes to recharge at 1C. And I always have more than 15 minutes between races. That being said, it's nice to have at least 100w of charging power in case you need it.

Lots of good choices out there and decisions to be made. First single vs dual, I used to race with my boys so I went with quad chargers, but after having 1 channel on every single one of them go bad, I went back to multiple singles. My logic was if something broke, I still have another one.

Then decide if you want an external power supply or not. For me, I had some PC power supplies around the house, so it was no cost to mod one for a charger. But it's something else you'll need to carry, etc. But you can usually run multiple chargers off one power supply.
speedochang likes this.