20 year hiatus!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By GerryH
  • 1 Post By Funkydrummer1

20 year hiatus!

Old 05-16-2020, 02:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 20 year hiatus!

Its been over 20 years since i've dipped into the on-road RC racing. My last car was an RS4 Pro 2 with some good ole Nimh batteries and lovely brushed motors you use to have to run! I've picked up a Tamiya TB05 Pro and built it to race in 21.5 stock class. It is amazing how much as changed in the hobby with 2.4 ghz radios, battery and motor technology but also how little has changed as well. I'm actually quite thankful to have this shelter at home time to build the kit and spend my waking hours practicing on the VRC pro simulator to shake the year of rust off! One question, what has been the most exciting development in the hobby for you all?

Cheers,
Stevo
Old 05-17-2020, 09:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Welcome back!

In my opinion, in order of most to less:
#1: 2.4g technology. No more hassles with different crystals. No more worrying about channel conflict. This applies to having to "check out" a channel to practice or even if you're just playing with other people. Interference is pretty much a thing of the past and range is beyond practical. My current Futaba receivers don't even have an antenna, so no more antenna tubes, etc.
#2: Lipo batteries. It almost never failed that after taking a break from RC for several months that my Ni based batteries would either not come back or would have diminished capacity. So that meant buying new batteries every year. I'm still using Lipos from 5 years ago. And I can grab a lipo that hasn't been used in months and I've never had it not work (I always put them in storage voltage)
#3: Brushless motors. A lot of things I ran back in the day were stock classes that had brushed motors that came with the kit. These would last 1 or 2 years. A couple of my rebuildable motors had soft brushes which meant changing them about every month. And eventually I'd have to find someone with a com lathe to do other maintenance. Brushless motors are mostly maintenance free.
#4: Servo technology. They have gotten more speed, torque and with digital servos holding power. And now it's pretty standard to have metal gears which reduces broken gears.

There's also been a lot of changes to actual vehicle design in 20 years, but it's all fairly minor stuff and mostly due to changes with traction at tracks. The biggest change is lower center of gravity. Think about how high the RS4 belts and spur gear were.
speedochang likes this.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

In my opinion its
1- Lipo batts
2- brushless motors
3- 2.4 tech
4- tire tech

Just like anything, while technology advances, it offers more economical, faster, efficient items and procedures. While tech is good, its getting to be so techy that its taken some of the "race craft" out of racing..Buying 100 bucks in tires just to grind them down to 70% so there broken in. Extreme dumping and charging of batteries, running motors, especially 17.5 to the absolute max, and only getting 1 season out of the motor...these are examples of some, not all , in the hobby...Theres no maintenance on anything really except for mechanical parts of the buggy. While less maintenance sounds good, it means more down time between rounds. Less time fixing stuff, guys have more time to run more classes. And that alone has its pros and cons...
(Always waiting for the guy that runs 4 classes and has one transponder) 🙄
speedochang likes this.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by GerryH View Post
Welcome back!

In my opinion, in order of most to less:
#1: 2.4g technology. No more hassles with different crystals. No more worrying about channel conflict. This applies to having to "check out" a channel to practice or even if you're just playing with other people. Interference is pretty much a thing of the past and range is beyond practical. My current Futaba receivers don't even have an antenna, so no more antenna tubes, etc.
#2: Lipo batteries. It almost never failed that after taking a break from RC for several months that my Ni based batteries would either not come back or would have diminished capacity. So that meant buying new batteries every year. I'm still using Lipos from 5 years ago. And I can grab a lipo that hasn't been used in months and I've never had it not work (I always put them in storage voltage)
#3: Brushless motors. A lot of things I ran back in the day were stock classes that had brushed motors that came with the kit. These would last 1 or 2 years. A couple of my rebuildable motors had soft brushes which meant changing them about every month. And eventually I'd have to find someone with a com lathe to do other maintenance. Brushless motors are mostly maintenance free.
#4: Servo technology. They have gotten more speed, torque and with digital servos holding power. And now it's pretty standard to have metal gears which reduces broken gears.

There's also been a lot of changes to actual vehicle design in 20 years, but it's all fairly minor stuff and mostly due to changes with traction at tracks. The biggest change is lower center of gravity. Think about how high the RS4 belts and spur gear were.
Thank you Gerry! 100% with you on all of the ones you mentioned above! But I had no idea Lipos could last so long! I've been practicing storage mode on my new charger, so good to know i'm on the right track. Also that means that spending close to $100 per battery is a worth while investment!

Yep that RS4 spur gear shaft sits right above the motor!!! I wonder if it could still be a competitive car if put in the right hands?
Old 05-17-2020, 02:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Yeah very true! There are always pros and cons in any situation. Hopefully thats where some of the spec classes can help reduce those things. I definitely won't be trying to grind tires, dump batteries and motors!