Wiki Posts
Search

R/C Tech LIVE @ the 2004 ROAR Paved On-Road Nationals in Portland, Oregon

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 11:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by litespeed-dom
Just to address the issue on Michael Bruce. We gave him 1 full min after we grid'ed and he had problem with the (Soldering backwards I believe?), then after he came out of the pit, then they realized they forgot a wheel nut, and asked for another 10 seconds? If everyone gets an additional min, then how are we ever going to start a race? And that was the full story on that issue. Dom
Here's my only complaint on that. The race directors were giving forever and a day during qualifying between heats if guys needed it, and it bogged the program down, yet during the mains things get tightened up? These guys had 5 qualifiers, and there should have been only 2 minutes between heats, with a 3rd if a minute's grace is called for, and at that point ready or not the tone should go off. The mains decide the overall winners of the event, so I can see giving an extra 30 seconds when warranted. Just my .02
Old 07-18-2004, 11:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)

Originally posted by RC Driver Gary
Here's my only complaint on that. The race directors were giving forever and a day during qualifying between heats if guys needed it, and it bogged the program down, yet during the mains things get tightened up? These guys had 5 qualifiers, and there should have been only 2 minutes between heats, with a 3rd if a minute's grace is called for, and at that point ready or not the tone should go off. The mains decide the overall winners of the event, so I can see giving an extra 30 seconds when warranted. Just my .02
That a good $.02 I agree
Old 07-18-2004, 11:27 PM
R/C Tech Founder

I'd agree with Gary; things were running so slow as it was, it was hard to believe that with the pit man holding the car about 60 feet from the grid, they'd go without the TQ of the race. If things had been punctual all week, it would be understood.

I think the race crew did an amazing job; taking care of peoples needs, keeping the show moving even with the intermittent rain, making the nationals work on a temporary track and more. That said, many of the people running the show seemed to have very little experience with big races like this. Why didn't ROAR have somebody there who had race directed a nationals before? Even just as a consultant. You can't fault any of the race crew, they did awesome, but ROAR came up way, way short.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:37 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Anyway, that's it for me from the race, been working on getting everything else entered but a lot of it will have to wait until tomorrow. We need to be at the airport around 5 AM so it's off to get a few hours of sleep.

Thanks to everybody who has watched the coverage, and as always, we'll see ya next time.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

No really big tracks want to big on Nationals. Its a lot of hard work and you get nothing but grief because no matter what you do it was never good enough for everyone.

ROAR hopes 1 or 2 tracks will bid on a nats...usually they get only one.

That said...this Nat's and last years Nat's had some rough spots but the guys putting on the show always had the racers interests at heart and worked VERY hard to put on a good show. I know if they have another big race there Schumacher will be there. I cant say that about some of the other venues we have been to.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:45 PM
Tech Elite

I can address a lot of issue now in hindsight we would have done things differently. And yeah, if we will do it again (which I probably wouldn't ), we will certaing do a lot of things different. That said, what's done been done, can't go back in time to change it. Just hope everyone had a good time.

Dom
Old 07-18-2004, 11:55 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks Adrian, that means a lot to the club coming from you, I'll relate that to the crew. Wish you could have raced with us. It was my pleasure to meet Paul. And thanks to Schumacher and Take Off tires for their raffles donations and the controlled tires.

Dom
Old 07-19-2004, 12:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by futureal
I decided to try and run my mains today, despite missing qualifying. Big mistake! I broke in both of them, one was a car failure and the other was just my being horrible. If anybody had any doubt before that I suck, now it's erased! heh

I couldn't even true my motors, I got here and my lathe bit had broken. Along with my pit light. One thing after another... depressing weekend for me personally, but glad everybody is enjoying the coverage! That's what I'm here for.
If you would have look at your PM i could have did your motor for you.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Shane Thanks for the great coverage!!!! (as all ways)
Way to go Fl crew!!!!!!!!!! Congrats to all who raced this event..
Old 07-19-2004, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Guys the reason I ask about M. Bruce it was told to me at my club race! someone got of the phone with his wife at home and said they read it of the reedy site.

I only asked because I surprized to hear about him being unsportsman like. as far as late yea he is a little late!

Guess I need to tell my source he needs his wife to buy glasses so she can read better

DOM dont worry about the people talking crap. Its like throwing a big party some of your guest no matter what you do for them will talk crap the next day.
You can make some of the people happy and some wont be ever!

From what I have read here you guys did a good job. Just alone stepping foreward and hosting it goes further then all the other clubs in the USA

Out of all those clubs roar has for there only to be 1 or 2 clubs bidding. Thats a crying shame! Roar needs to try and do some internal reviewing and see what it is that clubs dont want to host the race!

Come on guys the last three nationals havent been indicative of a national caliber event. and to think people all over the world read this!

Roar needs to step it up and actually aide the clubs/private tracks for an event like this.

Especially the clubs! they dont have the resources to pull it off, and the fact that they spend more then what they keep whats the deal roar should have a sponser list of manufactures that want to show thier products off, and aide finacially the clubs.

Last edited by speedxl; 07-19-2004 at 07:24 AM.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Shane thanks for the great coverage.

If you don't have a subscription to Xtreme R/C Cars I'd get one now.....helps pay Futureals salary
Old 07-19-2004, 08:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Some drivers are perpetually late-and in no hurry to get there. I dont think it matters if its tha club race or the Worlds-at some point you gotta get going and teach the guy/gal a lesson.

And on bidding for Nats-as former owner of the track that held the 2004 Roar On-Road Carpet Nats-I can tell you-the ROAR nats brings in bif bucks on paper plus add in the sponsors, but in the end of the race-the club is left with almost nothing. It would be fair to say a month of good club races is far less work and far more operating income.

My 0.02

Ray
Old 07-19-2004, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

precisly ray somehow at the end it should be profitable for a club or track.
Its a small concern that if it got resovled we would see the bidding for races come up and roar would have a better choice.

Our region director goes out there and does a great job. I sometimes dont see eye to eye with him but the guy in the past has gotten us some big races with good results. He is always at the races doing his regional duties.

The one thing about this race I dont understand why wasnt there a roar official there. Thats like a nascar race with out the nascar official. !

just my oppion guys not trying to stirr up anything just how I see it. may not be right.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

There was a ROAR official there. Randy Holst, and he and the officials had to make some decisions and handle complaints from some people.
As Dom said, there were more controversies/problems, that they settled and people don't know about them. It happens.

I think the guys did a good job, the race happened and for being a small club, they worked their cabooses off cleaning up, making sure it was run the best they could.
Hats off to them.
The best part of the weekend was the absolutely gorgeous rainbows on Sat. afternoon. I'm sure they planned that!

thanks guys for all your hard work. I totally enjoyed meeting everyone and watching the racing-it was a super weekend.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Just got back in to the office after our 6:10am flight to sacramento (sounded like a good idea at the time when I booke the flight!!). Just wanted to thank RCSR for one of the best and funnest races I have ever been to (second only to races at Speedworld ). ...I'm actually goint through my mail and emails then heading back home to get some sleep ...I'll be posting all the pics I took later on on gearchart.com ..I have 400 or so shots I took including a frame by frame sequence of Hara getting drenched ...also wanted to let anyone out there know that if anyone is holding any major races and is interested in the signup system that RCSR used go to www.gearchart.com for more information.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.