Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya M chassis? Worth the build?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SteveM
The M-chassis cars from Tamiya are a blast, but if you're competing on a high level the costs rise rapidly and you can easily end up spending more than you might on a top level sedan.
Could not disagree with you more. A fully upgraded, race ready, M03 can be built for less than $300 and a M05 for $50 more. This is sans electronics. A fully upgraded TC can be upwards of a grand.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Nevermknd...I answered my own question...I want a front wheel chassis so M05 it is!
Old 12-07-2012, 08:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
Could not disagree with you more. A fully upgraded, race ready, M03 can be built for less than $300 and a M05 for $50 more. This is sans electronics. A fully upgraded TC can be upwards of a grand.
If you buy a new M-05 and want to race the TCS events you'll need better tires, inserts, shims, Tamiya upgrades, TRF shocks, etc.....which in the end will likely put you over the cost of a new AE TC6.1 sedan.

I'm not even including the cost of a radio and electronics. Disagree all you like, but anyone who's upgraded their mini and done the math will likely be surprised at what they actually spent in the end.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jongrill
Ok. M05 or M06?
Your choice, front wheel drive or rear wheel drive.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

If you buy a new M-05 and want to race the TCS events you'll need better tires, inserts, shims, Tamiya upgrades, TRF shocks, etc.....which in the end will likely put you over the cost of a new AE TC6.1 sedan.

I'm not even including the cost of a radio and electronics. Disagree all you like, but anyone who's upgraded their mini and done the math will likely be surprised at what they actually spent in the end.
But you will still buy tires, wheels, motors and body for the 6.1.

At least the tires hold up longer for the mini and the motor is a stock silver can. You can use the CVA shocks at half the cost of TRF.

Another option is to get the M-05R chassis and buy the right tires and body which is still less than an AE6.1WC.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:38 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by AreCee
But you will still buy tires, wheels, motors and body for the 6.1.

At least the tires hold up longer for the mini and the motor is a stock silver can. You can use the CVA shocks at half the cost of TRF.

Another option is to get the M-05R chassis and buy the right tires and body which is still less than an AE6.1WC.

Just looking for a parking lot cruiser for now. Like I said I don't know the first thing about RC racing! I've been in and out of RC for years. I use it for mindless entertainment.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:39 AM
Tech Adept

Essential upgrades? Who makes tires? Wheels? Shocks? Awesome bodies?!
Old 12-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I was talked into a M06 to help build the class at our local track. I am not a die hard Tamiya guy and we run TCS rules because the boss is a die hard Tamiya guy. In saying that I don't know all the nuances of Tamiya racing or see the point of tamiya parts only,(Tamiya parts are over priced) but just a way to make Tamiya money.
I have raced my M06 once it was fun the car was fast it drove good had a little push on power but it was as much fun as racing my Touring Car. Mini's are well worth building and racing.
I added TRF shocks and carbon TRF shock mount we will see if it was needed next race. That change did get my ride height right.
One question do any of you race brushless I thought 21.5 or 25.5 would be great combo for mini racing!
Old 12-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Let's go on the assumption that your AE TC6.1 will also use a radio and electronics and will also need a few upgrades to be competitive. Also, every TC that I've seen uses tires, inserts and wheels, which by the way cost more than their Mini counterparts.

Out of courtesy to you went out and checked my personal Mini which has raced in quite a few TCS events and has been very competitive. Incidentally, the car is approx. 10 years old-----try that with your TC.

Kit $120
TA03 ball diff $30
Al. front upright $40
Bearings $20
CVDs $25
TRF shocks $60
Misc odds and ends $50
Total $ 320 That's with all new parts. In my case the TRF shocks came from an old Evo 1 so my cost was $260. An M05 will cost about $50 more.

Did the math and still disagree. Also you must consider that with a Mini you can generally run a whole race weekend with one set of tires. Try that with your TC.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
Did the math and still disagree. Also you must consider that with a Mini you can generally run a whole race weekend with one set of tires. Try that with your TC.
While I 100% agree with you that a mini is cheaper to campaign (look at $550 roller TC kits...), but unless you are running at a national level, most rubber TC tires are good for much more then just a weekend. I had over 40 battery packs on my last set of Sweep QTS 32's, and several people are just replacing their Jaco blues they opened up for our bigger race at the beginning of November.

I think the misconception is all of the aluminum hopups and how "necessary" they are. In general, the price of the Tamiya upgrades is a little silly, but the necessity of those parts is up for debate.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jongrill
Ok. M05 or M06?
I'd suggest M03. From what I hear, it's lighter and stronger than the M05.
The M06 can be a handful unless you have lots of traction.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Why the hell is there 2 pages of discussion here when there's an entire 1200 page thread already devoted to this subject?
Old 12-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

How were you able to convince your TCS event organizers to let you run an AE TC6.1? See, that's part of the problem.

Sneaky.

Change that to Tamiya TRF417 (which you can bring to a TCS event no problem), and your amounts will change significantly..

If you want more of a build challenge, go to RC Mart and buy a TA05 M-Four. Best of both worlds between Touring and Mini. And it's on sale for 24% off at the moment.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BumFacedGoat
Why the hell is there 2 pages of discussion here when there's an entire 1200 page thread already devoted to this subject?
Because you contribute to it is as I am now

I also wonder why so many people are insisting on recommending racing upgrades where the OP has said a couple of times that he has no intention of racing.

Buy it. Build it. Drive it. Then worry about hop ups if you need them. Probably tyres as the kit tyres are pretty crap even on backyard bashing surfaces.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:25 PM
gom
Tech Adept

If you are not racing, get the M06. It's so much more fun to drive RWD than a FWD from my personal experience.

If by chance you are going to race, the M03 or M05 are preferable.