Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya M chassis? Worth the build?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Tamiya M chassis? Worth the build?

I'm looking for a fun but cheap build this winter. I've always wanted to build a Tamiya M Chassis Mini Cooper but never had the chance. Anyone have experience with one? They look like lots of fun!

Any recommended upgrades for good performance?

Thanksn
Old 12-06-2012, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Nearly 1200 pages for you to read. Enjoy!

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ni-cooper.html

Yes. They're a fun car, but can be challenging to drive sometimes compared to a 4WD car.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Sith Lord

Yes. They're a fun car, but can be challenging to drive sometimes compared to a 4WD car.
PERFECT! I better get to reading!

Challenging how? Steering? I would figure as much since its 2wd. Anything specific?
Old 12-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Also check out www.rc-mini.net.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Buy a fwd (the m-03 is still very capable !) and find some local racing. Best and cheapest fun you will ever have on-road ;-)
Old 12-07-2012, 01:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jongrill
PERFECT! I better get to reading!

Challenging how? Steering? I would figure as much since its 2wd. Anything specific?
Just completely different to 4WD Touring Cars. If you've never driven them, then don't worry. Yes, steering, throttle control, wheel spin/traction. All different, but all good fun (once you get the tyre selection right for the surface you're running on)
Old 12-07-2012, 01:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

don't u hate those super long threads?...it's annoying as hell...good thing there's such as thing as a search function...
Old 12-07-2012, 04:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

We just started a mini class at our local track and it has been great so far. I built up an M05 and it was a fun build. I had a large supply of hex head 3mm screws to replace most of the phillips ones that come with the kit and I pretapped the holes in the plastics (more durable in my experience, plus better with my carpal tunnel). Only non-stock items so far are the titanium king pins (mostly due to them not being phillips heads) and a set of left over plastic (but oil filled) Sakura shocks and the Tamiya short TC springs to go with.

Car is a hoot, and with the stock setup (adjusted ride height so the lower suspension arms are flat), the thing was cake to drive. It's slow (new unbroken in motor and a questionable nimh battery), but was a blast.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:46 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by c-lyon
Also check out www.rc-mini.net.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by jmellipse
Buy a fwd (the m-03 is still very capable !) and find some local racing. Best and cheapest fun you will ever have on-road ;-)
I was looking at A M05

Just completely different to 4WD Touring Cars. If you've never driven them, then don't worry. Yes, steering, throttle control, wheel spin/traction. All different, but all good fun (once you get the tyre selection right for the surface you're running on)
Never driven one so I think I'm in fir a treat! Only driven 4WD cars

Originally Posted by orcadigital
We just started a mini class at our local track and it has been great so far. I built up an M05 and it was a fun build. I had a large supply of hex head 3mm screws to replace most of the phillips ones that come with the kit and I pretapped the holes in the plastics (more durable in my experience, plus better with my carpal tunnel). Only non-stock items so far are the titanium king pins (mostly due to them not being phillips heads) and a set of left over plastic (but oil filled) Sakura shocks and the Tamiya short TC springs to go with.

Car is a hoot, and with the stock setup (adjusted ride height so the lower suspension arms are flat), the thing was cake to drive. It's slow (new unbroken in motor and a questionable nimh battery), but was a blast.
AWESOME! Looks like I'm going to build a stock one for now. What do you plan on doing to the car?
Old 12-07-2012, 06:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Thanks!
AWESOME! Looks like I'm going to build a stock one for now. What do you plan on doing to the car?
Only had it out one night so far. Took my time building and painting the body (got thr Alfa Romeo Mito). I'd recommend anything other then the friction shocks, but otherwise, I am not sure anything is needed. I did pick up a gear diff (oil filled Spec-R) which I have not installed yet , and holding off on bearings (the spec-R uses different bearings) as I may go to aluminum knuckles/uprights and they use a different size then the plastics (thinking in terms of durability really). Right now, just enjoying the car. I will also add that I have the Tamiya stiff servo saver setup with a 3Racing aluminum horn. They came with some car bits I bought a while back and just happen to be a perfect match for this. Using the Tamiya kit ESC and motor still as well.

Finished 4th in the 1st race (7 cars). My first time out with it (ran one practice battery before the qualifiers), and was beat by am M06 and 2 M03's, none of which were remotely stock, and all by better drivers. Running it again tonight and will see how it goes.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you plan to race in the TCS (Tamiya Championship Series) you need to read the rules section to see what is legal. The only change I made is picking up a set of Tamiya TRF shocks and springs for the Mini (worth the money). The rest is stock.

This is a fun class that is more driver than car though set up is still important.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:22 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by AreCee
If you plan to race in the TCS (Tamiya Championship Series) you need to read the rules section to see what is legal. The only change I made is picking up a set of Tamiya TRF shocks and springs for the Mini (worth the money). The rest is stock.

This is a fun class that is more driver than car though set up is still important.

Not sure if I'm up for racing. I just build cars to run on my block. I've never raced... Ever!
Old 12-07-2012, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Not sure if I'm up for racing. I just build cars to run on my block. I've never raced... Ever!
Still the best upgrade you can do is a good set of shocks. Tamiya plastic mini shocks work well and won't break the bank. You'll need those when running on uneven streets or else it will bounce all over the place.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

The M-chassis cars from Tamiya are a blast, but if you're competing on a high level the costs rise rapidly and you can easily end up spending more than you might on a top level sedan.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Tech Adept

Ok. M05 or M06?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.