Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1:10 sedan tires that are wider than 26mm? >

1:10 sedan tires that are wider than 26mm?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1:10 sedan tires that are wider than 26mm?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 12:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 1:10 sedan tires that are wider than 26mm?

I'm new to the 1:10 sedan scene, and all I can seem to find are 26mm-wide tires. I'd like to have other options if possible. Does anyone make 1.9"-diameter tires that are wider than 26mm? I'm talking about pavement and rally tires, not big puffy tires like you see on "dirt oval" cars.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:49 AM
Tech Master

You can run 1:10 Nitro foam tyres, which will get you 30mm:

http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/rear-ni...d-wheels/c3019
Old 05-19-2015, 01:14 AM
Tech Champion

As above but you might need to use some wider hexes to prevent the wheels from catching on the camber links, depending on what chassis you have.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

HPI makes the line of vintage tires/wheel that are 26mm and 31mm wide. Same as used on USVTA class racing. http://www.hpiracing.com/en/product_category/W10TT (scroll down)
Old 05-19-2015, 05:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

My question would be - why do you need something wider? Are you struggling for traction?
Old 05-19-2015, 10:29 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Cosmo
My question would be - why do you need something wider? Are you struggling for traction?
Hypothetically, yes. I'm contemplating putting wider front tires on a FWD sedan sometime in the next year or so.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Before thinking about wider tires, you might consider the following...

- Surface prep
If you are running outside on pavement, you will want to make sure it is swept clear of dust/debris to improve traction. If you are running on asphalt you may to apply a sugar water solution to add traction to the racing surface.

- Tire compound
Rubber touring car tires have a hardness rating or shore rating. Typically the higher the rating on the tire, the less grip the tire will have. Generally speaking you will use softer tires in low temp or low grip situations and harder tires in high temp or high grip situations.

- Chassis setup
Typically the kit setup will work okay in a wide variety of settings. However you may need to adjust the setup to suit the track conditions, such as softer oils/springs.

- FWD specific issues
FWD R/C cars generally don't have as much steering when the throttle is being applied as other types of cars. You need to control the weight transfer on FWD so that it keeps more weight on the front wheels during acceleration. You also have to make sure the diff isn't slipping too much or it will hurt acceleration out of the corners.

You might research setups for Tamiya FWD cars (FF-03/04 or M-03/05) to get some ideas to improve your own setup. You might also research about 1:1 FWD racing setups to get ideas how to get more front grip/steering.

----------

If you can provide more information, you might get additional help before you have to do too much trial and error.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default WIDE TIRES

Tamiya makes 32 mm wide slicks and treaded tires in 1.9" diameter, there ars also rims for these tires from Tamiya in reversible two piece or one piece. HPI makes 31 mm & 34 mm slicks and matching wheels in 1.9" diameter wheel ( they are standard issue on their Falken Tire Porsche kit ). HR racing offers 29 mm, 33 mm, and 36 mm wide tires, they come mounted on alloy rims and are a solid rubber medium grip tire. My sons and I have and use all of the above . Generally speaking, wider tires are extremely cool looking, additionally extra traction and grip are available bashing enywhere a 26 mm would otherwise be used. I find the extra rubber adds life to the tires also. WIN WIN WIN

Old 05-20-2015, 01:38 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks for the suggestions, BigFatSlob.

IndyRC_Racer, I'd love to drive on swept pavement but I don't have that option. What I have available to me is parking lots and sidewalks.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigfatslob

Those rims are perfect, what width are they? I want some for a 70s car i'm making with a 220mm wide rear.

Links appreciated.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by firefoxussr
Those rims are perfect, what width are they? I want some for a 70s car i'm making with a 220mm wide rear.

Links appreciated.
They are 32mm back AND front, the rims are assembled reverse on the fronts. Thet are Tamiya rims and tires shone