Community
Wiki Posts
Search

King Motor RC

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mines got a few runs under its belts, it had ups and downs, some my fault. I have broken some parts, non I don't think from quality. If something breaks I've been replacing them with hpi anyway. I did break a rear shock tower mount yesterday and bent the shock tower, not finding out till after I was done running. It did do and end over end roll at full speed. And r/c that size could have broken.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:22 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm in the process of converting my Rovan Baja 5b to a Kraken CL1TSK. I needed a bunch of 5T parts so I bought HPI and installed them. I will tell you the HPI parts do have a nicer texture to their plastic. Does this translate to higher quality and less breakage? I've got three US Gallons through my Rovan Baja after 2 years of running so my answer would be Genuine or Rovan/KM they are pretty much the same. The car is fun and definitely not made of recycled tin as some loyalists will tell you.

But I needed 4 wheels from a 5T or 5SC and did some shopping around to see what it would cost me to go Genuine Proline/HPI etc. Tires, wheels, beadlocks, foams I was looking at around $160+ for a full set of 4. Couldn't stomach that cost so on a whim checked Rovan RC and King Motor. Ended up going with a set of four from KM for half the cost and picked up a clone Predator pipe for about $35. I never would have spent $175 on a name brand tuned pipe.

In my order from KM was a advertising card. One side advertised King Motor and the other Rovan. I wonder if the two are one and the same?
Old 04-07-2014, 08:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 103 (98%+)

KM Baja 30.5cc with my new body.

On the gas! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACCP_P5bVXc
Attached Thumbnails King Motor RC-gopr0261.jpg  
Old 04-10-2014, 03:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I don't know if you guys have seen this yet, but It's a full on 5ive clone. I'd prefer this over a DBXL for racing cause it has the 5ive drive shaft and diff layout. For the price it should be great too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rovan-1-5-Sc...item4d1b40c775
Old 04-10-2014, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

It looks cool but I think for that price I would just buy the five roller and add my own motor.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Cheaper on their website ($880 shipped):

http://www.rovanrc.com/Gas_4WD_Short...p/rvlt305u.htm

Anybody tried this thing out? I've been toying with the idea of picking up a Losi 5t.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
It looks cool but I think for that price I would just buy the five roller and add my own motor.
I don't own a 5th scale yet but this is the one for me, heck for $880 it's close to half the price of the Losi! Just get this one and sell the stock stuff. Then you'll have the engine you want for the price of a Losi Roller, plus you'll have electronics and stuff. How are the servo's in the King's or Rovan Baja's? Anybody have any major issues, or are they like most RTR's and you just throw them in a junk drawer never to be seen again. I noticed the one's in this Losi clone have aluminum case's and look a bit beefier.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Flipside6900
I don't own a 5th scale yet but this is the one for me, heck for $880 it's close to half the price of the Losi! Just get this one and sell the stock stuff. Then you'll have the engine you want for the price of a Losi Roller, plus you'll have electronics and stuff. How are the servo's in the King's or Rovan Baja's? Anybody have any major issues, or are they like most RTR's and you just throw them in a junk drawer never to be seen again. I noticed the one's in this Losi clone have aluminum case's and look a bit beefier.
I wonder if King Motor will have one too? $880 for everything is hard to beat. The Losi roller is $1000 but you get nothing except the chassis, suspension, and wheels.

The Rovan throttle servo in my Rovan 260S has held up pretty well. The Rovan steering servo stripped out after a year. Opened it up and while the horn gear was metal, all the other gears were plastic which I believe is the same if you went with HPI branded Futaba steering servo the RTRs come with. I know this because I bought the exact same model Futaba servo for 1/5th scale and the innards were plastic too. Had to but the HPI metal gear upgrade kit for it. Most people toss the Stock HPI/Futaba steering servo anyway.

Over the past two years I've watched the KMs and Rovans come stock with more and more upgraded parts for the same low price while the Name Brand has remained the same for the most part. My thought is to wait and see if Losi comes out with a 5ive T ver 2 and see how that compares to the Rovan Losi 4WD Truck. I think based on the last 8 years with the 5B, Losi won't change their Five much but KM and Rovan will go all out with their version.

Last edited by Bug Stomper; 04-12-2014 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Has anyone got a different steering servo to fit without getting an hpi radio box.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Has anyone got a different steering servo to fit without getting an hpi radio box.
You don't have to buy a new radio box to get that plastic servo support that comes with it. What I did was I bought a aluminum servo support for my Rovan
from davesmototors.

ht202 - Fullforce RC Servo Bracket for HPI Baja 5b/5T/5SC

The Futaba 1/5 scale servo fit perfectly. There are also adaptors that are adjustable to the different servo brands. I think alot of folks use Savox servos. They look nice but didn't want to spend $80+ when the Futaba was $50.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:57 AM
Tech Initiate

Just went on King Motor website. Saw the buggy to truck conversion kits. Based on what you guys said earlier I could have saved some loot converting over my buggy to a truck to accept the Baja Class 1 roll cage rather than going the HPI parts route by maybe working a deal for the kit without the truck body. Oh well next time I'll be more diligent.

Just recvd my KM Racing Pioneer wheels. Compared to the Rovan wheel set I got 2 years ago, these KM Pioneer wheels seem pretty well put together. I don't think I'll have to take them apart and reassemble. Nice that.

Last edited by Bug Stomper; 04-16-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:46 AM
Tech Initiate

For those who have ordered the Rovan brand vehicles: how are the manuals that come with the vehicles? Do they have a good "exploded parts" view/picture that's easy to read, and are the instructions written well? I've seen some manuals for vehicles from China that were poorly translated, and contained lot of mistakes, omissions, etc.

Thank you for your time and assistance.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator

Just go to hpis site and get the manual for the baja, its 100 times better.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:22 AM
Tech Initiate

OK, thank you for advice...I'm ordering this:

http://www.rovanrc.com/Gas_4WD_Short...p/rvlt305r.htm

So I'll check out the Losi site for manual/parts view for their 5iveT?
Old 04-21-2014, 09:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Just go to hpis site and get the manual for the baja, its 100 times better.
Doing the Kraken CL1 Mod on my Rovan buggy I've had to use the HPI 5B SS, 5T, and 5SC kit manuals downloaded in pdf. Make sure you get the HPI kit manuals and not the ones for their RTRs. The Rovan manual was more like a engineering parts breakdown rather than a step by step install.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.