Search

RB Concept V.12 5 Port Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default RB Concept V.12 5 Port Tuning

Hey guys

When i run the car around the parking lot the motor runs great. Once i hit the track and do some laps and bring the car back into the pits the idle is very high. I am gonna guess and say one of the niddles is to lean. Is it the low or high niddle? I run 20% with a #5 (hot) plug from RB.

Thanks
Old 06-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Low speed needle....and maybe try adjusting idle a bit lower.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Low speed needle....and maybe try adjusting idle a bit lower.
I tried the low speed and it did seem better. I turned it about an hour or so and noticed the acceleration was not as good. Should i keep richen it anyway?

Thanks
Old 06-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nitrobeast
I tried the low speed and it did seem better. I turned it about an hour or so and noticed the acceleration was not as good. Should i keep richen it anyway?

Thanks
As with most things , richening the motor will slow it , unless it was past the maximum lean point and peak power drops off.

But youll find the motor overall will keep power. If anything it was probably just a high idle and when you heat the motor up it makes your low-end leaner which makes it idle high.

Just try simply taking the idle speed down now. That should fix the problem. Another way to tell is after the straight if it keeps rpm up high for too long....
Old 06-03-2006, 05:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

go back to stock needle settings and start all over again. 5 turn from lock for high speed and 2 1/2 for low speed. It's a little hard to gauge the extent of your leaning just by your description. Hope that helps
Old 06-06-2006, 05:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by devious17
go back to stock needle settings and start all over again. 5 turn from lock for high speed and 2 1/2 for low speed. It's a little hard to gauge the extent of your leaning just by your description. Hope that helps
Thats another issue i had with this motor. During break in on the first tank i couldnt let it idle for more then 30 sec because the RPM would just start to raise and continue. Seemed as if it was 2 lean on the low. Starting looking into it and the niddle were set to what you just suggested. Which is what RB shows

http://www.rbproducts.com/mainEn.php...0.12%20engines

Then i saw this

http://www.rbproducts.com/explose/RB...700-000510.pdf

Big difference in niddle settings....

Then i was able to let it idle the first tank.
I will look into this some more today and see what i come up with.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
As with most things , richening the motor will slow it , unless it was past the maximum lean point and peak power drops off.

But youll find the motor overall will keep power. If anything it was probably just a high idle and when you heat the motor up it makes your low-end leaner which makes it idle high.

Just try simply taking the idle speed down now. That should fix the problem. Another way to tell is after the straight if it keeps rpm up high for too long....
I think you nailed it. I lowered the idle and i cant get it to happen again. I will try to drive it some more today and see if all is well. Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Good. Also thanks for the response im trying to hone the tuning skills and stuff like this helps me figure out my own motor issues.

But yeah high idle , its almost too obvious sometimes thats its the idle screw needing adjustment. But your right a lean low-end can also produce the same results. Its trial and error really.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Also remember once you richen or lean low you, you'd might have to tune the idle as well. Leaning out low end, reduce idle, richen low end, lean out idle. I also hold down the brake when adjusting idle as well to the point where it doesn't cut off.