Wiki Posts
Search

your dream RC??

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jheimb4897
It's like screaming at a wall, you people just don't get it, and never will. EVER. Like I said, you've never even ran on a track. It takes track experience to get good, not money. Just because you think you can wheel in a parking lot, doesn't mean you can touch anyone on a track. You think you can BUY 1st place on the podium, and you can't. Those guys are going to eat you alive. You're just too belligerent to understand that I am trying to tell you to get out and take them time to find out what it really takes to race. Not flash dollar signs on waste your money. Your military ideals are crap. There is no talking to you, because you won't understand. And Deore, of course you agree with them because you are one of those right-winged Christian people who think 'rights' are being allowed to say god in school. When rights are the ability to choose not to do so.
agreed. international sponsored drivers are good because they drive well, not JUST because they get given top of the range stuff.

beleive me, your £10,000 will be lying broken on the crash barrier before the end of your first race. sad but true i'm afraid. i managed to escape that fate by buying a £100 plastic tub to race. indestructable, and cheap to run . and i can tell you, racing round a track for the first time is harder than it looks. why would we be telling you this otherwise? we don't want you to lose your hard earned cash. (aka taxpayer's money. you're military, remember!).

so, go out, buy a good beginners kit, and go from there. when you know you can drive that dream machine round the track, by all means, go buy it. but not until you can keep off the barriers running with the big guys in the A finals.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joe of loath
agreed. international sponsored drivers are good because they drive well, not JUST because they get given top of the range stuff.

beleive me, your £10,000 will be lying broken on the crash barrier before the end of your first race. sad but true i'm afraid. i managed to escape that fate by buying a £100 plastic tub to race. indestructable, and cheap to run . and i can tell you, racing round a track for the first time is harder than it looks. why would we be telling you this otherwise? we don't want you to lose your hard earned cash. (aka taxpayer's money. you're military, remember!).

so, go out, buy a good beginners kit, and go from there. when you know you can drive that dream machine round the track, by all means, go buy it. but not until you can keep off the barriers running with the big guys in the A finals.
Agreed.
My friend has over $2,500 into his jammin truggy and I can easily beat him with a $300 truggy. It's all about skill and not about money.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joe of loath
we don't want you to lose your hard earned cash. (aka taxpayer's money. you're military, remember!).
LOL!
Old 01-30-2008, 02:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

you cant say whats the best rc car. it like saying whats the best gun in the world. you ask a vague question and you get a vague answer.

get a new rc car

and the above people are right. there is no way in the world you will win a race on a track if you never raced before. i ran speed controls older then me and crappy 30 dollar motors and still i was almost always in the amain running against people who spent over a thousand on the latest equipment.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

And thank you guys for bringing me back to sanity. I thought I was taking crazy pills. Long live FSM...
Old 01-31-2008, 01:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Default understood

I understand you guys totally. At frist i was looking for a good starter truck. But all the forums were saying you have to spend all this money on this one and all this money on tha one. I was just trying to get pass that money factor I am just looking for the best car to run around a track and try to win and yes i said win becasue winning feels great right. That is all i was saying not trying to sound like a "spoiled kid" I was just getting passed all that issue of money I will find the money and I will win some day right we all have our day to win so that is that. Practice is the key word got it.

Now what if you ani't got a track around for 3000 miles that you know of?? what do you think i should do to start "PRACTICING"??? HELP ME PLEASE!!!!
Old 01-31-2008, 03:19 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by chado757
I understand you guys totally. At frist i was looking for a good starter truck. But all the forums were saying you have to spend all this money on this one and all this money on tha one. I was just trying to get pass that money factor I am just looking for the best car to run around a track and try to win and yes i said win becasue winning feels great right. That is all i was saying not trying to sound like a "spoiled kid" I was just getting passed all that issue of money I will find the money and I will win some day right we all have our day to win so that is that. Practice is the key word got it.

Now what if you ani't got a track around for 3000 miles that you know of?? what do you think i should do to start "PRACTICING"??? HELP ME PLEASE!!!!
First, as you may already know there is no such a thing as a best car, because it will come down to your driving.

Second, I don't think there is any substitute for practice, there must be an empty lot some where near by that you can setup an small track to practice.

Another idea is that there are a bunch of kids that come into the hobby all the time, somewhat blessed by their driving ability which I believe they get from video games...just my thoughts
Old 01-31-2008, 06:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

jheimb4897 Are you really that STUPID you dont come on here and start bashing a newbee and you really dont start bashing the millitary. They're out doing what your sorry butt's too scared and or too lazy to do. I DONT CARE if you agree or disagree with the war that was'nt their choice they are just there doing their job to protect us.

Secondly.. We get asked that all the time its just a noob question.Just explain the facts DONT BASH. The hobby is struggling enough allready with some idiot running all new guys off just becouse you dont like the question. If it bothers you that much then SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND MOVE ON. You didnt have to say anything.

jheimb4897.. gee sorry kid, just had a bad day. moron
Old 01-31-2008, 06:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

You can do well with any car or truck. It is all about knowing your car/truck. Do you plan on racing buggy/truggy/monster/stadium, what is hot right now is truggy. And I would say get yourself a Ofna or Tamiya truck. But I am baised by Tamiya. What can I say?

It really doesn't matter what you get as long as you know your vehicle. Know how to set it up on a loose packed tight track, or any other track for that matter. Know how it's going to handle when you put 40wt shock oil in the rear with yellow springs. Know how to replace your dogbones when you shatter one coming down off a huge jump.

You say you are in the service and live in the desert, go out with a shovel a build a track out in the sand. Doesn't have to be anything special. Just look online for a picture of a track and build a small version of that in the sand. Couple jumps, straights, turns, banks, you get the idea. There are also simulators for nitro on-road rc, and I think they are making one for off-road and electric. I know Duratrax made a video game way back in the day. And you can use your own transmitter as a controller with the new games. (cool, huh?) Just poke your nose around, I am sure you can find a Sim.

But to be competely honest, I think you should go electric. You live in the desert and can't get nitro fuel as often as you would like. Go with a 4WD buggy, (the Tamiya Durga can be had for $300 all together with a really good Tx, batteries, and charger. Not to mention, it's extremly competitive right out of the box. And it's a kit, as you'd like to build so you can better get to know your car.) that way you can just throw it on a charger and play whenever you'd like and go out in the desert to rip. LiPo and Brushless would be great, a LiPo battery lasts for 18 mins and can be used a million times. Nitro isn't for begginers, with all the cleaning and adjustments it takes, EVERY time you run the car. It would just be eaiser to run electric you first time. Unless you have someone that can really teach you what you are doing. That is the only time I'd ever suggest a gasser to a new guy. I know the little engines sound cool, but electrics are a whole lot easier to live with, and can be just as fast. (all top speed records are held by electrics) My Schumacher Mi2 stomps on RS4's and VOneRR's all the time.

But if you insist on getting nitro, I understand. Make sure that you follow what the manual tells you and take care of your car. Extensive cleaning and such are musts with your gasser if you want to keep it alive. Just make sure that you get out and practice. When you go to a track, make sure you LISTEN to all of the things the experienced guys have to say. They know a lot and can teach you so much more than you could ever learn on your own.

I don't know what I am missing, but if you have any questions, just ask. I would be more than willing to help. I wasn't trying to insult, it's just too many of you new guys waste all of their money and then realize it's too much work or too hard and it's not for them. Or wonder why their engine won't start when you can see gunked up fuel all over the car because they decided not to clean it the last time they raced. Racing is the best thing you can do with a R/C car, don't ever think you're not ready. It will broaden up and open your horizon with the things you can do with your R/C. Not to mention, keep you interested in the hobby a whole lot longer.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:19 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by cota348
First, as you may already know there is no such a thing as a best car, because it will come down to your driving.

Second, I don't think there is any substitute for practice, there must be an empty lot some where near by that you can setup an small track to practice.

Another idea is that there are a bunch of kids that come into the hobby all the time, somewhat blessed by their driving ability which I believe they get from video games...just my thoughts
This has been the best advice on here. There is no substitute for practice.

We cant advise you on a car or truck (youve mentioned both) if we dont know what kind of track youll be on, oval, onroad, offroad, dirt, carpet, or asphault.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Originally Posted by chado757

or maybe you should find groups that have experience and ready to share their experiences with you, a starter kit will do as long as there are people who are willing to help you outside, not on this thread,,.. PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT...

anyway, this is the rookie zone invaded by highly intellectual and skilled people,, they cannot even understand us,, just a simple question about the best R/C and suddenly you are misunderstood...
Old 01-31-2008, 06:23 AM
Tech Master

You can do well with any car or truck. It is all about knowing your car/truck. Do you plan on racing buggy/truggy/monster/stadium, what is hot right now is truggy. And I would say get yourself a Ofna or Tamiya truck. But I am baised by Tamiya. What can I say?

It really doesn't matter what you get as long as you know your vehicle. Know how to set it up on a loose packed tight track, or any other track for that matter. Know how it's going to handle when you put 40wt shock oil in the rear with yellow springs. Know how to replace your dogbones when you shatter one coming down off a huge jump.

You say you are in the service and live in the desert, go out with a shovel a build a track out in the sand. Doesn't have to be anything special. Just look online for a picture of a track and build a small version of that in the sand. Couple jumps, straights, turns, banks, you get the idea. There are also simulators for nitro on-road rc, and I think they are making one for off-road and electric. I know Duratrax made a video game way back in the day. And you can use your own transmitter as a controller with the new games. (cool, huh?) Just poke your nose around, I am sure you can find a Sim.

But to be competely honest, I think you should go electric. You live in the desert and can't get nitro fuel as often as you would like. Go with a 4WD buggy, (the Tamiya Durga can be had for $300 all together with a really good Tx, batteries, and charger. Not to mention, it's extremly competitive right out of the box. And it's a kit, as you'd like to build so you can better get to know your car.) that way you can just throw it on a charger and play whenever you'd like and go out in the desert to rip. LiPo and Brushless would be great, a LiPo battery lasts for 18 mins and can be used a million times. Nitro isn't for begginers, with all the cleaning and adjustments it takes, EVERY time you run the car. It would just be eaiser to run electric you first time. Unless you have someone that can really teach you what you are doing. That is the only time I'd ever suggest a gasser to a new guy. I know the little engines sound cool, but electrics are a whole lot easier to live with, and can be just as fast. (all top speed records are held by electrics) My Schumacher Mi2 stomps on RS4's and VOneRR's all the time.

But if you insist on getting nitro, I understand. Make sure that you follow what the manual tells you and take care of your car. Extensive cleaning and such are musts with your gasser if you want to keep it alive. Just make sure that you get out and practice. When you go to a track, make sure you LISTEN to all of the things the experienced guys have to say. They know a lot and can teach you so much more than you could ever learn on your own.

I don't know what I am missing, but if you have any questions, just ask. I would be more than willing to help. I wasn't trying to insult, it's just too many of you new guys waste all of their money and then realize it's too much work or too hard and it's not for them. Or wonder why their engine won't start when you can see gunked up fuel all over the car because they decided not to clean it the last time they raced. Racing is the best thing you can do with a R/C car, don't ever think you're not ready. It will broaden up and open your horizon with the things you can do with your R/C. Not to mention, keep you interested in the hobby a whole lot longer.

Very nice post.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by deore
or maybe you should find groups that have experience and ready to share their experiences with you, a starter kit will do as long as there are people who are willing to help you outside, not on this thread,,.. PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT...

anyway, this is the rookie zone invaded by highly intellectual and skilled people,, they cannot even understand us,, just a simple question about the best R/C and suddenly you are misunderstood...
I would love to help but as I posted just above this I need to know what he's going to be running on.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Long live FSM...
and i thought i was the only one
Old 01-31-2008, 08:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

if your looking for a truggy and want to race seriously then get something like the kyosho st-rr, xray truggy or the mugen one, all are top of the line cars and are some of the best racers. the tamiya truggy was made for bashing but it also happens to be an ok racer. if you want monster truck then there is really only 2 to consider, the revo and the lst2. they both need some minor hop ups to make them race worthy and both would be awesome for bashing around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.