Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Need help on deciding what to get for my first hobby grace rc. >

Need help on deciding what to get for my first hobby grace rc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help on deciding what to get for my first hobby grace rc.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 06:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Any more reccomendations?
Old 04-25-2013, 07:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

Lol not sure what everyone is talking about on the first page about the mini 8ight not being able to go in grass? Mine goes just as fast on grass as pavement lol. I highly recommend a mini 8ight for your first RC. Pick up a 2s lipo and a cheap lipo charger and get the traxxas slash shock eyelets and you'll have many fun filled days.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey thanks and is this video true because it says its not meant for bashing? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgocHy7nuzA
Old 04-25-2013, 07:39 PM
Tech Regular

Blasphemy. Throw some off road tires on a touring car and you can bash that. R/C car is meant for whatever you wanna use it for. I bashed my stock mini 8ight no problem. Tune the suspension and upgrade the shock caps to alloy and the shock eyelets to traxxas slash ones and you really shouldn't have any problems except dog bones popping out.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:41 PM
Tech Regular

Me bashing a stock mini 8ight

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PN9akaw...e_gdata_player
Old 04-25-2013, 08:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

The only thing about getting this is that a little bit more money and i could get a 1/10 hpi blitz or traxxas slash.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:45 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah the brushed rtr versions? Those don't compare to a mini 8ight. Already provided my opinion.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by need$
Hey thanks and is this video true because it says its not meant for bashing? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgocHy7nuzA
There are a lot more reviews than just that one, have you looked at them too? While none of his criticisms were outright false I think that they do lack a bit of perspective. The mini 8ight is easily the most popular RC buggy in terms of unit sales and for good reason. Most people that have mini 8ights use them for bashing.

I guess from a reliability perspective the plastic is more brittle than I like. But parts are readily and cheaply available for the mini 8ight with lots of option and hop up parts too. The design is sound and easy to work on.

You keep coming back to the Slash 2wd and I don't quite understand why. I mean if it was good wouldn't it be popular too? Wouldn't everyone be talking about it instead of something else. Is there some hidden gem of an RC that is not popular but your going to find it by asking someone? That is not likely to happen, just from a logic perspective.

I kind of think that a very big consideration for you is the up front cost. But the maintenance and operating costs of a vehicle are much more over time than the initial purchase price. You can't buy cheap/inexpensive and run it for even a few days without maintaining it.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Im not sure what you mean because the 2wd slash is pretty popular.