Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Need help on deciding what to get for my first hobby grace rc. >

Need help on deciding what to get for my first hobby grace rc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help on deciding what to get for my first hobby grace rc.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 09:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Cool Need help on deciding what to get for my first hobby grace rc.

I have been looking for a rc car that is fast, durable and cheap. I need it to be big enough to go over gravel, and grass not just concrete. I have found 2 cars a Losi Mini SCT($170) or a Traxxas Slash 4x4($190). I mainly like the losi more because it has a brushless motor so it last longer and requires a lot less maintenance. I also like the losi becasue it is pretty quick straight out of the box and its cheaper. What i dont like about the losi is that theres not that many aftermarket parts for it, its 2 wheel drive and it goes through tires like crazy. I like the slash because it is a little quicker than the losi, its 4 wheel drive, and its water proof. So what truck do you think i should get? Also if you have any other ideas of what i should get that is around the same pice please let me know. Another thing i think you should know is that im a teenager so money does not come easy at all so please help me pick something that is worth my hard earned money.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by need$
I have been looking for a rc car that is fast, durable and cheap. I need it to be big enough to go over gravel, and grass not just concrete. I have found 2 cars a Losi Mini SCT($170) or a Traxxas Slash 4x4($190). I mainly like the losi more because it has a brushless motor so it last longer and requires a lot less maintenance. I also like the losi becasue it is pretty quick straight out of the box and its cheaper. What i dont like about the losi is that theres not that many aftermarket parts for it, its 2 wheel drive and it goes through tires like crazy. I like the slash because it is a little quicker than the losi, its 4 wheel drive, and its water proof. So what truck do you think i should get? Also if you have any other ideas of what i should get that is around the same pice please let me know. Another thing i think you should know is that im a teenager so money does not come easy at all so please help me pick something that is worth my hard earned money.
I don't own either of those but I recently got a Mini 8ight. It's fast right out of the box. people seem to love it. a lot of aftermarket motors and esc fit it. and it's on sell at A main hobbies right now for 189 plus you can use a promo code for another 12 bucks off. I got mine for 190 shipped. It's also 4wd if that is something you are looking for. hobby king has lipos for it at 8 bucks each as well.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Love my Mini 8ight but its not the greatest for grass
Old 04-21-2013, 12:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the suggestions and i do like the mini 8ight but it seems too low to the ground for it to go on grass and some other terrain.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Does anyone else have any suggestions or comments on what i should get? Please help
Old 04-22-2013, 05:53 AM
Tech Initiate

It really depends on what you want to do with it and where you want to drive it.

1/16 scale is best on paved surfaces and fairly smooth dirt areas. They have very limited ground clearance for real offroad.

I have a Losi Mini SCT, it uses a high center of gravity chassis, making it very easy to roll. This could be a frustration or a challenge to try to make the fastest turns without rolling. It performs best, IMHO, as a straight line speed run truck on paved surfaces. Crazy fast on 3s. Be prepared to get new tires, the rears lasted 2 packs on mine. Also the wheels where the wheel pins come in need reinforcing to avoid breakages. They are very hard and frustrating to work on as there are lots of little suspension assemblies that fit over the screws for another assembly that fits over the screws to another assembly.... My general overview is a very good looking truck, very fast, horrible handling, very limited offroad capabilities, but very rugged (only one broken servo and a couple of spur gears, spur gears my fault was experimenting with slipper)

Don't own a mini Slash, but I'm guessing it should be better handling with 4 wheel drive. Has high center of gravity chassis so will roll in turns. There seems to be alot of posts on reliability issues, that could just mean that there have been alot sold to people who are upgrading them to the point of destruction or some real issues. You should do a search on Mini Slash and read to determine for yourself.

IMO, both aren't the best first hobby grade vehicle. If you have the room to run them, a simple 1/10 scale 2wd is more capable and much easier to work on and maintain. The 1/14 scale such as the mini 8, Tacon, and Vaterra products are a good compromise on smaller size but improved performance over the 1/16 scale, the Tacon is having parts availability issues so take that into consideration. If your looking to run on grass, 1/10 or bigger scale is the best bet.

If you are looking for a driveway/street/parking lot vehicle that is cheap, I like the 1/18 scale. Will perform about as well as the 1/16 on fairly smooth dirt, do quite well, on paved surfaces, small enough to be fun around the house, and light enough to be tough. If you do outgrow it and get a better truck, they are still fun for quick bash sessions on the driveway.

Take a moment to really figure out where you are going to drive. If it is mainly fairly smooth hardpacked areas, minis are fun. If you want to do some real offroading through grass, ruts, sticks, then the 1/14 and larger scales will perform much better.

Last edited by txhookey; 04-22-2013 at 10:27 AM. Reason: forgot to add "first" to hobby grade
Old 04-22-2013, 08:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Small scale cars are not able to overcome the limitations of being small. Gravel and grass will cause problems. The losi mini-eight and traxxas slash are both good cars when used on surfaces they were designed for.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I guess you are trying to stay under or right at $200, no? If so I would have to say that the best truck out there is the mini 8ight. Look at my sig and check out the vehicles I've owned. If your grass is cut and not thick then the mini will do fine..., not great but fine. I run mine through grass all the time and it does fine. Picking up good speed will be tough and heat can become an issue but you can still have fun. Now as far as comparing it to a slash or something like that I have no idea how it compares... But the mini 8ight will be a good choice for the right situation. Hope this helps!

Rich
Old 04-22-2013, 03:34 PM
Suspended

not a mini if u need it to got thru grass unless ur driving it on a putting green..sorry to say but minis just dont have the ride height to accomplish what ur after..if u just want a fun fast mini try the IRC Photon..ive had mine for 4 years like it alot..
Old 04-22-2013, 04:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks to all of you for giving me our suggestions and to answer you questions yes i would like to spend at most $200 and i am mostly going to drive it on gravel and grass some road. Also thank you for turning me away from 1/16 scale trucks i would've been very disappointed if i bought it and it couldn't go on grass or gravel without getting stuck. I have looked at a 1/10 scale cars and they are either too expensive or too slow for me. Another thing is that i like the mini 8ight but now i am thinking of not getting it because of this review - youtube.com/watch?v=pgocHy7nuzA For those of you who own a losi mini 8ight is that review true? Also if you guys have any other 1/10 scale or anything that is like the mini 8ight please let me know. thanks
Old 04-22-2013, 04:38 PM
Suspended

Yes the Losi mini 8 is a racers buggy NOT A Basher's..
Old 04-22-2013, 04:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ok well then that car is not for me then. Again if anyone has anymore suggestions for a rc that can go on mainly gravel but also grass that is around $200 please let me know.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...rl&filter_mfr=
Old 04-22-2013, 05:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks i will look through that list of cars but i think i found my perfect truck horizonhobby.com/products/slash-2wd-rtr-with-2-4ghz-red-silver-TRA58024T3#t1 its a lot more than i originally wanted to spend but its worth it.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by need$
Thanks i will look through that list of cars but i think i found my perfect truck horizonhobby.com/products/slash-2wd-rtr-with-2-4ghz-red-silver-TRA58024T3#t1 its a lot more than i originally wanted to spend but its worth it.
But i would still like to hear your suggestions on what i should get. thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.