Search

Ofna lx2 vs HPI pulse rtr versions

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 08:41 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Ofna lx2 vs HPI pulse rtr versions

So, I'm looking for opinions on this.

I've had a lx2 MSRP $299 for about a year now and I feel the motor is a solid motor and the drive train near bullet proof. Out of the box you have to junk the servos and tx/rx but that's with alot of rc. The only thing I really don't like about it is how the hinge pins are designed to mount into the front and rear differential cases. So if u had a semi hard hit from the side, front or back instead of busting the arm u break the diff case in the corner where the hinge pin goes through it. It's the weak point. Soooooooo alot more labor than needed to repair. Other than that it's ran awesome.

I just bought the HPI pulse 4.6 with the k4.6 MSRP $460

I can't say I'm impressed at all. The way the hinge pins mount is better for repairs but the plastic seems cheap and I'm not sure this k4.6 is worth anything. Although I've only ran about 9 tanks though it the motor seems weaker than the force .28 OFNA has on the lx2.

Can someone tell me more about the HPI.

I haven't tuned anything with a midrange needle before but I'm either 0 or 100 on the throttle lol so I assume I bypass low and mid range needles fast..
Old 02-02-2014, 09:23 AM
Tech Adept

I have not seen a lot of good info regarding the Hpi pulse 4.6. I almost bought one and instead went with a LX2. The force .28 is a good solid performer but no powerhouse so that 4.6 has to be crap.

I can't give you much info on the Hpi but had it been me I would have bought the Ofna X3 Sabre. Look at all it comes with and its probably the best bang for the buck out there since it can be had for $350.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:28 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by zandrew
The force .28 is a good solid performer but no powerhouse so that 4.6 has to be crap.
The force.28 is very similar to the hpi k4.6, both are .28 .... so why do u say it must be crap?
Old 02-02-2014, 10:55 AM
Suspended

I can't give you much info on the Hpi but had it been me I would have bought the Ofna X3 Sabre. Look at all it comes with and its probably the best bang for the buck out there since it can be had for $350.
I really didn't see much of a difference from the lx2 to the sabre... When have them in hand you see little difference.. same drive train.. suspension is a tad different and you get a shiny pipe that may or may not add much... Im not sure about the electronics but anything Hong Nor is crap to me and it goes to the garbage can before gas hits the buggy.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:02 PM
Tech Adept

If the pulse is weaker then the force. 28 its crap since the force .28 itself is not a real powerhouse. The sabre x3 comes with the JL .28 which is a better and more powerful then the force .28. It also comes with a tuned pipe. Not a pipe with no baffle, is an actual tuned pipe that if you bought seperately which you have to on the lx2 costs about $60.

I have ran both and I wish I would have waited and bought the Sabre X3. Nothing wrong with the lx2 but the Sabre is the better value.

The "shiny pipe" is tuned. It makes a night and day difference.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:59 PM
Suspended

If the pulse is weaker then the force. 28 its crap since the force .28 itself is not a real powerhouse. The sabre x3 comes with the JL .28 which is a better and more powerful then the force .28. It also comes with a tuned pipe. Not a pipe with no baffle, is an actual tuned pipe that if you bought seperately which you have to on the lx2 costs about $60.

I have ran both and I wish I would have waited and bought the Sabre X3. Nothing wrong with the lx2 but the Sabre is the better value.

The "shiny pipe" is tuned. It makes a night and day difference.
I didnt know the x3 came with the JL.28 and not the force. Ive ran a series of pipes on the same motor and honestly ive never really been able to tell the difference... other than the finish " shiny" and noise...
Old 02-02-2014, 03:21 PM
Tech Elite

The Pulse is a re-branded Himoto Firestorm. Parts may be easier to source with the original name.

I have a friend with one a Pulse 4.6, the engine is ballistic, check if yours has a good tune and if the engine's backplate is well sealed as well the pipe gaskets.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:49 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
The Pulse is a re-branded Himoto Firestorm. Parts may be easier to source with the original name.

I have a friend with one a Pulse 4.6, the engine is ballistic, check if yours has a good tune and if the engine's backplate is well sealed as well the pipe gaskets.
By ballistic do you mean awesome? or not lol.. I did put a roto start backplate on it and it snugged it up really well..

Never heard of a Himoto Firestorm...
Old 02-02-2014, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by GvilleFloridaR1
By ballistic do you mean awesome? or not lol.. I did put a roto start backplate on it and it snugged it up really well..

Never heard of a Himoto Firestorm...
Oh wait, now I remember, my friend has the hpi 5.9 engine
Did you forget the seal that goes between the back plate and the engine case?
Old 02-02-2014, 06:06 PM
Tech Adept

I didnt know the x3 came with the JL.28 and not the force. Ive ran a series of pipes on the same motor and honestly ive never really been able to tell the difference... other than the finish " shiny" and noise...
Are you referring top the lx2 or x3? The x3 comes with a tuned pipe. The lx2 has a noise maker that does nothing for the power band. I swapped a dynamite 053 on to the lx2 and its night and day difference. Swapping a tuned pipe on the x3 will not have the same improvement since it comes with one.

A tuned pipe is a must and anyone will tell you that. Its the second most significant part to make hp and performance besides the motor.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:33 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
Oh wait, now I remember, my friend has the hpi 5.9 engine
Did you forget the seal that goes between the back plate and the engine case?
There is no seal on the between the backplate and roto start..

Are you referring top the lx2 or x3? The x3 comes with a tuned pipe. The lx2 has a noise maker that does nothing for the power band. I swapped a dynamite 053 on to the lx2 and its night and day difference. Swapping a tuned pipe on the x3 will not have the same improvement since it comes with one.

A tuned pipe is a must and anyone will tell you that. Its the second most significant part to make hp and performance besides the motor.
What's a good pipe to put on my lx2 other than the $60 Hong nor that ships from Hong Kong. Also, any idea on a good tuned pipe for the HPI with the k4.6?
Old 02-02-2014, 09:11 PM
Tech Adept

Hell the 053 was pretty good on it. I think it works on most anything really.

Tuned pipe increases power response and mileage.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:08 AM
Tech Elite

There is no seal on the between the backplate and roto start..
That's right, and you didn't mess with the actual back plate right? Are there any signs of fuel leaks on the engine?

What's a good pipe to put on my lx2 other than the $60 Hong nor that ships from Hong Kong. Also, any idea on a good tuned pipe for the HPI with the k4.6?
Dynamite 053 for low to mid range power or and dynamite 086 for more top end power.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:50 AM
Tech Adept

Don't think yu have to buy a Dynamite pie though. The 053 and 086 s just a pipe design. Any brand will do. f I was you I would buy a used one but I really liked the 053. With the Force .28 on my Tamiya truggy and the 053 pipe it did very good. Nothing like my Alpha .23 but it had a linear feel with good pick up. It made the truggy very stable opposed to edgy with the Alpha. Maybe a bit slower in straight line but just as quick while turning.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:09 AM
Tech Elite

Don't think yu have to buy a Dynamite pie though. The 053 and 086 s just a pipe design. Any brand will do. f I was you I would buy a used one but I really liked the 053. With the Force .28 on my Tamiya truggy and the 053 pipe it did very good. Nothing like my Alpha .23 but it had a linear feel with good pick up. It made the truggy very stable opposed to edgy with the Alpha. Maybe a bit slower in straight line but just as quick while turning.
Affirmative, I just used the Dynamite ones as example, they get good reviews and are readily available. I would recommend to stay away from generic "tuned pipes" that are made using God knows what engine as basis.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.