Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
JMRCA change touring rule to 4cells! Is this the future? >

JMRCA change touring rule to 4cells! Is this the future?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JMRCA change touring rule to 4cells! Is this the future?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
Here is 2nd Cyclone almost finished. Just waiting on the servo to arrive tomorow ,as of now the car is pretty balanced( left/right,front/rear).

Unless two cells are the same weight as the speedo, another configuration would be to saddle pack the battery and place the speedo in between the battery pack for better weight placement.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
No..IFMAR follows the votes of all its blocks 50% of the time and the rest of the time it does what it wants based on lobbying from manufacturers and racers.
So at this point there's really no reason to worry about Touring going 4 cell just because the JMRCA made some rule changes. When or how often does IFMAR vote or make these decisions?
Old 10-25-2006, 01:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

I did not see any mention of offroad going this way so if this happens in the future that will mean I will have to have 6 cell offroad batteries and 4 cell onroad batteries. Currently I have 7 packs that I can use for both onroad and offroad. I don't like this change then.

Besides does anybody race mod sedan?
Old 10-25-2006, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Apex
Unless two cells are the same weight as the speedo, another configuration would be to saddle pack the battery and place the speedo in between the battery pack for better weight placement.
I tried that configuration and it was a tight fit with the GTB between them ,this one is alot better,easier and is pretty well balanced

Last edited by Marcos.J; 10-25-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Apex
So at this point there's really no reason to worry about Touring going 4 cell just because the JMRCA made some rule changes. When or how often does IFMAR vote or make these decisions?
There are proposals for ROAR and EFRA to go 4 cell.

Just tried it again tonight and i concurr with my previous statement, it's about the same speed as 19T with a 7T. Maybe with fresh 4200s and a 6T it'll be faster, BUT it will never have he rip you get from actual mod so IMHO has no interest, I'd rather keep things like they are now.

Also motor gets off quite hot and comm looks burnt after 2 runs. This is with a checkpoint so it shouldn't burn the comm.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TRF415boy

Just tried it again tonight and i concurr with my previous statement, it's about the same speed as 19T with a 7T. Maybe with fresh 4200s and a 6T it'll be faster, BUT it will never have he rip you get from actual mod so IMHO has no interest, I'd rather keep things like they are now.
no offense but I think that you are doing something wrong, I ran it and a friend of mine ran it also and with the brushless we both had alot of rip out of the corner and top speed, maybe is the brushed motors with brushless is perfect, but thats my opinion.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Also motor gets off quite hot and comm looks burnt after 2 runs. This is with a checkpoint so it shouldn't burn the comm.
thats odd on the brushes been burnt after 2 runs my motor never got over 106 degrees, my batteries were hotter than my motor
Old 10-25-2006, 03:26 PM
Tech Master

Dude all the top drivers i spoke to are saying the same thing: it's slightly faster than 19T unless you go really silly on motor winds and then you start having issues with runtime/battery lifetime. brushes aren't burnt they're infinity brushes, but the comm defo needs a skim which is no different to 6-cell. My point is, I like mod as it is, I want to go back to mod next season after running 19T this season and i'd be really pissed off if it went 4-cell.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Dude all the top drivers i spoke to are saying the same thing: it's slightly faster than 19T unless you go really silly on motor winds and then you start having issues with runtime/battery lifetime. brushes aren't burnt they're infinity brushes, but the comm defo needs a skim which is no different to 6-cell. My point is, I like mod as it is, I want to go back to mod next season after running 19T this season and i'd be really pissed off if it went 4-cell.
Well in some tracks 6 cell mod is only a little faster than 19t anyways , look at Weylin Rose at the IIC ,this is from the Shumacher site" His TQ time in 19turn was the 11th fastest run of all rubber classes including Mod which would have put him ahead of factory superstars such as Teemu Leino, Rick Hohwart, Juho Levanen and Hubert Honigl etc.. "

so been a little faster than 19t is ok
Old 10-25-2006, 06:53 PM
Dyj
Tech Rookie

If you feel that the price of replacing tires and car parts ( Due to wear) is too much; stop racing mod and go to 19 ( or 19 to stock). It has the same effect according to virtually everyone on this forum. A faster car is harder to drive, specifically throttle, thats why the best drivers in the world run mod, to take away these two cells is taking away mod as we know it. Price and driving ability are the reason there are 3 different/main classes.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Dyj
If you feel that the price of replacing tires and car parts ( Due to wear) is too much; stop racing mod and go to 19 ( or 19 to stock). It has the same effect according to virtually everyone on this forum. A faster car is harder to drive, specifically throttle, thats why the best drivers in the world run mod, to take away these two cells is taking away mod as we know it. Price and driving ability are the reason there are 3 different/main classes.
I dont need to worry about price
Old 10-25-2006, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

IFMAR should vote for 4 cell...

Most of you guys live in really cold parts of the planet and probably uses CS-20, Sorex 20R tires or something & your motors don't come off the track hot.

But take it from a guy who lives on the equator, the motor come off HOT....!!

Thermal shutdown from overheating are a common sight...
Old 10-25-2006, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

from what i've found in testing..

on a long, high grip asphalt track (17 sec laps) 4 cell is between mod (.5 slower than) and 19t (.5 faster than).

on a short, high grip, indoor asphalt (10 sec laps) track 4 cell is if anything quicker lap times than 6 cell mod which is ~3 thenths quicker than 6 cell 19t.

on a large, low grip concrete track (16 sec laps) 4 cell and mod were about equal in lap times and about half a seccond up the road from 19 turn.

seen a 4x2 run on 4 cells. sounded nice, but came up short on run time. the comm did get a little red.. but didn't explode.

testing with 4200's would be more ideal... as it has really only been since 3800's and beyond that this discussion fired up due to all the failures in mod.

imo if it comes in it should only affect 1 class.. mod tourer. it would be wise to wait and see what comes out of japan at the event before making judgement either way.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tones
from what i've found in testing..

on a long, high grip asphalt track (17 sec laps) 4 cell is between mod (.5 slower than) and 19t (.5 faster than).

on a short, high grip, indoor asphalt (10 sec laps) track 4 cell is if anything quicker lap times than 6 cell mod which is ~3 thenths quicker than 6 cell 19t.

on a large, low grip concrete track (16 sec laps) 4 cell and mod were about equal in lap times and about half a seccond up the road from 19 turn.

seen a 4x2 run on 4 cells. sounded nice, but came up short on run time. the comm did get a little red.. but didn't explode.

testing with 4200's would be more ideal... as it has really only been since 3800's and beyond that this discussion fired up due to all the failures in mod.

imo if it comes in it should only affect 1 class.. mod tourer. it would be wise to wait and see what comes out of japan at the event before making judgement either way.
try putting in a small 5 cell receiver pack (1/3aaa) they are really small and weigh next to nothing that should give you a few more seconds in run time.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Here it is ready for sunday
the car weighs 2 lbs 11 ounces (with out the body)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.