Wiki Posts
Search

New Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 09:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey PL-UNC86,

If you liked the Losi's handling, but went back to the Jammin' due to durability issues, you should really give the Hyper 8.5 a go. I have a feeling that you'll love it. It is more of a finesse rig, like the Losi, but a lot more forgiving than the Losi - I.e. it likes to be pushed/driven hard! It is a beast when you upgrade the shocks to the Jammin' BBs. I'm just before ordering the 16mm Jammin' BBs - I have been running the 13mm Jammin' FTE BBs on the Hyper for some time now and I love them.

Here's the kicker - Hyper 8.5's are super durable - like the Jammin that you are used to. Parts are even cheaper than the Jammin' parts on Ebay, if you can believe that! If you are patient and watch/snipe auctions over a 3 week period, you can practically replace all the parts on the chassis for less than $150! I'm talking everything, because there are a bunch of sellers on Ebay that part out the kits every week... Pennies on the dollar if you are patient or use auction 'sniping software.

It really is the best of all worlds, give it a shot. Sell your Losi roller and pick up a 8.5 Pro Kit (~$400 from www.nitrohouse.com, ask for Rob - tell him 'rabidsquirrel' sent ya). You still can't go wrong running the Jammin', IMO, but the Hyper 8.5 is faster than the Jammin' (Current design iteration of it, that is) IMHO.

Good luck with whatever you choose to run - that goes for everyone!

Old 10-16-2007, 10:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

most of the people i know who run the rc8 run it stock or spend 30 bucks on the top plate. most people i know who run the losi change out the radio top plate and get aluminum braces front and back......

with any car you get you can honestly ponder to buy hop up parts. i spent 20 bucks on aluminum shock ends on my mugen. spent another 100 and some time machining parts to lighten it as well. was it needed? probably not but it was fun to do
Old 10-16-2007, 11:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the only hopup I put on my losi was the rear alumn brace so the rear center shaft would not pop out. other than that, its stock out of the box. I did put the adj rear end on after the plates I was running wore out, more of a cost issue than the need for it.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Last edited by g26er; 05-11-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The hyper 8.5 is a good buggy i would think, but where i am from i cannot think of one person that drives them and no one carries parts for them. I have the big bores on my Jammin (16mm). I have driven a lot of cars and have come to the conclusion that most of them are good cars. I am just trying to find a balance between handling, parts and durability. I have finished in all my mains just about the same with every car and a different car isnt going to make you go from last to first place. Things that stand out in my mind when buying a buggy now is how much work will i have to do on it after a race? Does it hold up during a race or just slightly make it before falling apart? For example, over all i have been the fastest with my Losi, but out of all the buggies it held up the worst. The front drive shaft wears super fast because of the angle it sits at, the rod ends need to be replaced after every race, clutch bearings usually last one race day if that etc. So i would constantly have to replace those parts to keep it driving like i wanted it to. Anyway those are the things that set buggy's apart for me.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Tech Addict

Exclamation It's Your Call

atown117....

I've been going thru the thread you started and everyone who has posted their opinions have a point.

You have the final say (if you haven't decided yet) which buggy to get and what engine, pipe and servos to get also. Besides it's your money you'll be spending.

And when you do make your pick, it's still your input that will be needed to make the buggy perform to it's max.

Enjoy the new ride and have fun racing it!!!!

Last edited by JRRobiso; 10-16-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by JRRobiso
atown117....

I've been going thru the thread you started and everyone who has posted their opinions have a point.

You have the final say (if you haven't decided yet) which buggy to get and what engine, pipe and servos to get also. Besides it's your money you'll be spending.

And when you do make your pick, it's still your input that will be needed to make the buggy perform to it's max.

Enjoy the new ride and have fun racing it!!!!
Exactly why I made this thread. To get people's opinions on these buggies it helped alot in the decision process. Thanks for the kind words JRRobiso. Oh I choose the RC8 should get it sometime within the next week
Old 10-16-2007, 08:26 PM
Tech Addict

Arrow

Originally Posted by atown117
Alright I should be able to order it by friday. That's when I get paid. I'm thinking of running the O.S. Vspec in it. Is that a good match with this
buggy? or should I think of kicking down the extra money for the O.S. Speed V-spec or maybe something different from that?
Congrats on your pick. I myself was looking at the RC8 on AE's website and started itching to get one. But I can't at the moment since I just purchased the Losi 8B and haven't installed my OS VSpec (not the Speed ver) engine and JP1 pipe. Oh by the way, if you're going to get the OS VSpec (reg ver or Speed ver) you may want to match it up with an OS T2050 or T2060 pipe. Mark Pavidis of Kyosho used the T2060 pipe set with his OS Speed VSpec motor to victory in the IFMAR 1/8 Scale Buggy World Championships (don't know which year). I went with JP1 pipe since it was cheaper than a brand new OS T2050 pipe and was also advised by one of the local racers at my track, OS T2050 or JP1 pipe would work great for my track (medium size).
Old 10-16-2007, 08:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by JRRobiso
Congrats on your pick. I myself was looking at the RC8 on AE's website and started itching to get one. But I can't at the moment since I just purchased the Losi 8B and haven't installed my OS VSpec (not the Speed ver) engine and JP1 pipe. Oh by the way, if you're going to get the OS VSpec (reg ver or Speed ver) you may want to match it up with an OS T2050 or T2060 pipe. Mark Pavidis of Kyosho used the T2060 pipe set with his OS Speed VSpec motor to victory in the IFMAR 1/8 Scale Buggy World Championships (don't know which year). I went with JP1 pipe since it was cheaper than a brand new OS T2050 pipe and was also advised by one of the local racers at my track, OS T2050 or JP1 pipe would work great for my track (medium size).
Alright thanks for the info. Im gonna go with the v-spec I've had like 2 or 3 of em and haven't had any issues and I like the power of em. No sense in spending more on the speed version. At least for me anyways. Thanks for the pipe advice.

Oh yeah and thanks to everyone in this thread you guys made my decision much harder with all your guys opinions on all the different buggies.. haha just kidding you guys helped me a bunch!
Old 10-16-2007, 08:46 PM
Tech Addict

Let us know how you like it once you run it a bit!
Old 10-16-2007, 09:07 PM
Tech Addict

Arrow

Originally Posted by atown117
Alright thanks for the info. Im gonna go with the v-spec I've had like 2 or 3 of em and haven't had any issues and I like the power of em. No sense in spending more on the speed version. At least for me anyways. Thanks for the pipe advice.

Oh yeah and thanks to everyone in this thread you guys made my decision much harder with all your guys opinions on all the different buggies.. haha just kidding you guys helped me a bunch!
No problem buddy. Just doing the same thing everybody does to help a fellow RC hobbyist.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

When you get your RC8 i suggest going through the Diffs and checking your shocks for leaks. My diffs were pretty much bone dry and shocks were leaking. If they are leaking just take them apart and rebuild them and use some AE green slime around the orings and inserts to help seal them better.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by pl_unc86
When you get your RC8 i suggest going through the Diffs and checking your shocks for leaks. My diffs were pretty much bone dry and shocks were leaking. If they are leaking just take them apart and rebuild them and use some AE green slime around the orings and inserts to help seal them better.

Thanks for the advice I'll be sure to do that.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:32 PM
Tech Initiate

kyosho is a ten time winner if you plan on racing get a mp 777
Old 10-31-2007, 11:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by loveinferno
kyosho is a ten time winner if you plan on racing get a mp 777
Cars dont win races.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.