Search

Kyosho Evolva

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by SMcpot
Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I really like the car, it's just that I'm checking Tower's site, and they list very few parts for the Fantom, and given that Kyosho seems to change models almost every year, I'm afraid that I'll end up with a $580 paperweight in a year.

I'm hoping to be out at Revelation next month to set up my 710 and 950...are you usually out there?

I'm out there quite a bit...
Old 10-15-2004, 12:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Smile

Cool...I'll see you out there.

BTW, where are you getting parts from, and are there any hop-ups or spares that you recommend?

Thanks
Old 10-15-2004, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by SMcpot
Cool...I'll see you out there.

BTW, where are you getting parts from, and are there any hop-ups or spares that you recommend?

Thanks

You can get parts from Tower Hobbies or Revalation has parts for the Delta. For hop-ups you should buy the adjustable rear swaybar. Spares would be just like any other car but you should buy extra belts and rear lower arms.
Old 10-15-2004, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Smile

Thanks again, Chris.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Bump
Old 11-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Delta

Originally posted by YBSLOW
Whats up Chris? My Delta car will be here early next week. Can't wait.
Brad,

How did you like your first outing with the car?
Old 11-05-2004, 03:38 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Delta

Originally posted by jwf-ronni
Brad,

The thread lives.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Brad,

All I heard him say with a big grin was he was glad to drive a car again that he could hold wide open thru the sweeper.
Old 11-06-2004, 04:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Vetran 1/8th SetUp advice need urgently!

I have been Racing 1/8 Off-Road for 10 years and late last yr i got bored with it and decided to give the 1/8 On-Road a try. With no on road experience AT ALL (hammering around a Tennis court with an old Tamiya Road Wizard with a Standard silver can when I was 16 is absolutely no comparison), I bought my 1st On-Road Nitro at the start of the year. What else but an Evolva.

My 1st 2 race meets where, to choice a better phrase... Baptism by Fire?! I dont think I was truly ready for the sheer speed of the cars, i mean i had watched them several times before i even got the idea to race them, but untill u actually do it u have no idea what its like to race these INSANE little machines.

Anyhow half a race season into it and i have now hammered down my consitency to a very respectful 0.6 sec over a 5min run.
The track we race on is a car park and its reasonably short & tight, some say its too tight for 1/8. The lap record is 13.2 sec, my best is a 13.3 but with no consitency. ATM I am good for flat 14's with the occasional moment of brilliance with a 13.6.

I have 2 problems..
#1 I have reached a stage in my own setup knowledge of the car where i cannot go any faster, when i try to make a small adjustment to enhance the handling further I in actuall fact go slower, not only slower but as a result I try to push more and exceed the limits of both the car and myself and find my self summersaulting over those F@#$ing Barge boards. ARGGHHHH!
I feel the car needs more grip at the front to make the turn in more responsive, the track is already resonably bumpy so my initial set up was on the softer side of normal. I go Softer at the front to try and get more grip, First with sway bar then with shock angles. The grip inproves but the car feels more docile, now it feels like i must anticipated the turn in to the apex in order to use the improve grip. Thou this set up did result in slightly quicker lap times my consitency went thru the roof as i struggled to find that exact turn in point. After major shunt into yet another Barge board and having to replacle the left side front bulkhead (surprisingly the arms survived! Very impresive) I decide to return to my orginal set up, slightly slower yet way easier to drive.

#2 At first all the 1/8 boys where giving me advice and bringing me up to speed with lap times, but as soon as my time got noticably better and at time was able to challenge some of the vetrans the advice stop flowing. Underneath the Fun & Games these guys are dead serious competitors and i guess i cant really blame them for not showing me ALL their secrets. In a way i see it as a mark of respect or in any case they see me as a potential threat... lol
Out of the 6 regulars that race every race meet there is a very nice mix... 2 Evolva's , 2 MRX4's, and 2 950R's, with me being one of those Evolva's. Engine wise we r all pretty much on par with each other for HP, and even if someone had a substantial HP advantage the track is like Monte Carlo and the straight aint long enuff to use it all. I tried not to pay to much attention to the setups of the other brand of cars but focused on the other evolva and to my surprise he was running very hard springs both front and rear when compared to what i was running. Then I realised the the other guys were also running stiffer springs.
But this made no sense to me the 4 time Off-Road State champ!
The track is very bumpy for onroad standards. Logically this would dictate softer springs with slightly higher ride height?
In the Offroad world when we race on a bumpy rutty track we go MEGA Soft with full ride height to soak up the ruts and bumps.
Only on a nice smooth blue groove track do with go hard with lower ride height. But i guess thats Offroad.

Now before i go crazy and buy every different set of springs avalible for the Evolva and then completely lose my self in spring rates and oil weights I ask u Vetran 1/8 Racers

IS STIFFER BETTER!?
also
What is the single most effective way to increase turn in response, to eliminate that delay feeling after ur have turned the wheel.

I know its a long post but u gotta see it from my POV, ifeel like i am at a dead end.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Brad,

I liked it alot. Saturday was a learning experience but once I got the track widths right and put 38 shore tires all the way around it was really good. I needed stiffer front springs that I did not have at the time and probably some 40 fronts because the car just had too much run in still, Probably was a good qaulifying setup but for 40 miutes alittle twitchy.

Can't wait for the next big race. Do you know when TFT at CP is going to be?
Old 11-07-2004, 06:48 AM
Tech Adept

re: Vetran 1/8th SetUp advice need urgently!

Nitrozen:

I cannot give u advice because I am learning setup myself. But what is the grip level of the track?

As you said, your track is rather small. The 1/8 car may not even reach max speed before any turn (depending on your gear ratio), so softer springs may not be needed if the track has enough grip.

What shores of tires do other racers use on their Evovla? Maybe they run soft tires and harder springs.

Try changing gear ratio to faster acceleration and less top speed, maybe your laptime will improve.

Correct me if I am wrong please as I am also learning.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Delta

I liked it alot. Saturday was a learning experience but once I got the track widths right and put 38 shore tires all the way around it was really good. I needed stiffer front springs that I did not have at the time and probably some 40 fronts because the car just had too much run in still, Probably was a good qaulifying setup but for 40 miutes alittle twitchy.

Brad,

I think the TFT's is on the 11th and 12th of December.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Delta

Am sure glad to hear that ...

If you need to try out some more springs at the track, let me know.
Chris and I have all the Kyosho springs for the car. At least you
can pin point which ones you will want to buy later on. I also remember
you asking for a copy of the Kyosho Spring Chart we put together..... PM
me your email address and I will send you a copy of it... Hope it will help...

The TFT at CP will be on the second weekend of December. It is
unfortunately the same weekend when Revelation will have their TFT.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:55 AM
Tech Elite

Default TFT

Chris,

Are we doing the TFT at CP or Rev?
Old 11-08-2004, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Re: TFT

Chris,

Are we doing the TFT at CP or Rev?

I hope you guys say Crystal Park.......1/8th is so much more fun there. Ron I pm'd my email address to you.
Thanks
Brad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.