Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ESC

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 04:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Default ESC

I currently have boughten a B4 RTR just this Tuesday. I was going to go racing last Saturday, but I found out the ESC could only handle a 18 turn motor at the most. I am looking at getting Novak GT7 ESC. I want to spend the least amount of money for the best quality, so if it is pricey but good I would probably get it to last. So, is the GT7 the best bet with the B4, or any other ESC? Such as an LRP, etc.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:48 PM
Tech Addict

i tried the gt7 i found that it was to punchy for offroad
go to the lrp either the lrp quantum 2 or the lrp 7.1
they are both smooth but i found the quantum 2 to be a little smoother but its a little pricey at around 170
the 7.1 is also very good at around 150 its smooth and very durable
Old 07-20-2004, 09:17 PM
Tech Rookie

what do you meen by "punchy"?
Old 07-21-2004, 01:20 AM
Tech Elite

The GT7 has programmable profiles to tune the power delivery of the ESC. I believe it is Profile 5 that is the same as the older LRP units (specifically the original Quantum).

I have used Novak products since I began racing, and have never had durability or performance issues of any kind. In the world of "you get what you pay for", I recommend Novak's electronics for durability and peace of mind; Novak's customer service is second to none!
Old 07-21-2004, 02:38 AM
Tech Addict

I have both the Novak GT-7 and LRP Q2. Both are good for offroad. Both have adjustable settings. Etc.

The Q2 is a little smaller and lighter.

Gt-7 is cheaper.

The choice really comes down to how much you want to spend.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:53 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Another good choice is the Cyclone series. If you decided to get one of those, see if you can purchase a C2. Still one of the best ESCs for offroad.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Hmm... It looks like my decision is between the Gt7 and the C2... It all comes down to when I get it. Thanks for all your help!
Old 07-23-2004, 10:56 AM
Tech Rookie

Where is the cheapest place to get the GT7? I want it new, not used.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

The C2 is a little outdated..the ESC that comes in the Mini-T actually has smoother throttle delivery than the C2, which has software dating back to the mid-90's. If you're only going to race stock, the C2 will be more than up to the task of providing you with punch!
Old 07-23-2004, 12:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

B4Bomber,
Don't take offfense to this if I'm wrong, but I get the feeling you don't understand the motor limit rating on your ESC. Your ESC has a limit of an 18 turn motor.... that means you should not run a motor with LESS than 18 turns, not more. The hotter motors have fewer turns. A 19 turn, or a stock motor (27 turns) will work fine with your current ESC. If you are looking to run in stock class, you should be all set. If you want to run in modified class, with a 14 turn motor for example, then you are right, you should upgrade your ESC.
I just don't want to see you miss out on racing because you think you need an upgrade when maybe you don't.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Yeah, I know what you're saying, but just all around I wouldnt feel comfortable racing with it, just by looking at the numbers. If I dont have the money, then I probably wont get one, but it is really high on my wanting list.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

That speed controller should suit any beginner just fine, for stock or 19 turn (even mild mods), as the previous poster mentioned. Your reason for upgrading that esc should be because you are looking for one without reverse, or a reverse lock out, or are looking to run hotter mods. I would venture to guess that reverse is illegal at all serious race tracks, and should be. Not having reverse would give you multiple stabs at the brakes without worrying about when reverse kicks in. Going from forward to reverse is a really good way to ruin a motor. In the ultra-competitive stock class with its limits, you don't need another thing against you such as a motor that is seriously abused...

my $.02...
Old 07-26-2004, 08:52 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I was quite pleased with the throttle delivery of the C2 using a 12 x 2 motor this past sunday. With the pit wizard or the Novak millenium pro charger you are able to customize the ESC to your own personal preferences.