Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
DSM vs. FM - can you feel 5 milliseconds? >

DSM vs. FM - can you feel 5 milliseconds?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DSM vs. FM - can you feel 5 milliseconds?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 05:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by eforer
I was talking about this very same subject (reaction time etc, not dsm) to a friend of mine who is a Neuroscience Phd cadidate. We were talking about the almost physical sensation you get from video racing games.

Basically the above is true in regards to processing new, unknown data. That said, when working with repetitive tasks and familiar things, its a whole new ball game. When we turn in to a corner it is not reaction time. You have turned in to the same corner for X number of laps. Your brain develops connections associated with all the stimuli related to that corner. Thats why you feel locked in and in control once you are comfortable on a track, and somewhat disconnected while you are still learning.

Also, those connections create the almost physical sensations of push, oversteer etc. Once our brains adapt to the course and car, when the car reacts different from the norm based on our inputs, and the car isn't where its supposed to be based on previous experience, our brain lets us know something is funky and we can almost feel the handling condition present. This is true of things like video games also.

So it is entirely possible, that when switching from FM to DSM, tiny, almost inperceptible differences in response could translate in to a palpable difference in the way your car feels. It does not necessarily mean it is slower, worse etc. It is possible that you could feel a difference though.

Ed, you had me at hello
Old 07-17-2006, 05:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

If my best reaction was .266 m/s after about ten times . Then I could notice the difference if I slightly shave .263 m/s off of my time. I could now understand and see the difference but can't react to it fast enough. I would have to add reaction time to latency. A year and a half since the release of spektrum and maybe three minor glitches that could easily been a wet spot or debrise on the track. Not one crash because of what I thought to be a glitch or someone else possibly turning on their radio in the pits. I beat my car as it is, I don't need help from the pits . DSM still works for me and I have peace of mind.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eforer
I was talking about this very same subject (reaction time etc, not dsm) to a friend of mine who is a Neuroscience Phd cadidate. We were talking about the almost physical sensation you get from video racing games.

Basically the above is true in regards to processing new, unknown data. That said, when working with repetitive tasks and familiar things, its a whole new ball game. When we turn in to a corner it is not reaction time. You have turned in to the same corner for X number of laps. Your brain develops connections associated with all the stimuli related to that corner. Thats why you feel locked in and in control once you are comfortable on a track, and somewhat disconnected while you are still learning.

Also, those connections create the almost physical sensations of push, oversteer etc. Once our brains adapt to the course and car, when the car reacts different from the norm based on our inputs, and the car isn't where its supposed to be based on previous experience, our brain lets us know something is funky and we can almost feel the handling condition present. This is true of things like video games also.

So it is entirely possible, that when switching from FM to DSM, tiny, almost inperceptible differences in response could translate in to a palpable difference in the way your car feels. It does not necessarily mean it is slower, worse etc. It is possible that you could feel a difference though.
I think this makes the most sense, the reaction time comes into play only when you have to avoid a crash or when your car breaks traction and you have to regain control with steering. You don't drive like "oh here comes a left turn I have to turn the wheel to left real quick"
Old 07-17-2006, 05:40 PM
Tech Elite

Cool game.

I average .16-.22
Old 07-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

damn that's addicting