Wiki Posts
Search

lrp spx stock spec

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 04:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by burito
- 5-8 on 80710 are the real stock profiles, 7+8 are the extreme ones were you need much lower gearing
I think the manual should come with this info It's a tribute to the quality of the stock spec motors that they can take profiles 7-8 without much gearing change compared with 6-7, but other brands' motors are more susceptible to damage on those profiles so I think starting FDR/rollouts should be included with the spx manual
Old 04-22-2009, 06:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
I think the manual should come with this info It's a tribute to the quality of the stock spec motors that they can take profiles 7-8 without much gearing change compared with 6-7, but other brands' motors are more susceptible to damage on those profiles so I think starting FDR/rollouts should be included with the spx manual
I agree on both points, the manual should include a little more detail about how those profiles should be geared, and the quality of the LRP Stock Spec motors is awesome. I have only used the LRP Stock Spec motors on my SPX's and have had zero issues to date.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:46 AM
Tech Addict

You're right about the manual to some extend, we never had gearing recommendations in our speedo manuals but in the case of the SPX StockSpec we could (or should) have mentioned it more clear that the high profiles require a much smaller pinion.
Will make sure this get's improved with a possible manual update or future products.

As for the damage of other motors, when used with high speedo profiles on SPX StockSpec, I don't really now why they get damaged so much easier then our own X11 StockSpec as mechanical timing in the different motors seems very similar. Possibly our wire is of higher grade as a possible reason.
We were not aware of possible motor damage during development of the SPX StockSpec, we tested it most with our X11 StockSpec motors of course but we also ran with SP and GM motors during development and didn't experience any motor failures.

@billy: The SXX doesn't have those extreme profiles as the SPX StockSpec, but the SXX's profiles 9 and 10 are for sure also suited very well for stock brushless motors.
As for the heatsink, I do think you get away without it in all the classes you mention except for Truck Mod.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

As for the comparison of the profiles between SPX StockSpec (#80710) and Sphere Competition (#80700) or Sphere Competition TC-Spec (#80750)

80700 vs. 80750:
- later batches of both models had identical profiles and hardware, only difference was the integrated heatsink/fan on 80750.
- earlier batches of 80700 (before 2007-edition came out and first batch of 2007-edition) had slightly different hardware but software was always identical.

profile difference between 80710 vs. 80700/80750:
- profiles 1-4 are identical on all speedos.
- 5-8 on 80710 are the real stock profiles, 7+8 are the extreme ones were you need much lower gearing.
- 5+6 on 80710 are actually fairly similar to 7+8 on 80700/80750 (but not identical)
This is some of the best info on this speed control yet. Wish it could be a sticky.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tony Vega
This is some of the best info on this speed control yet. Wish it could be a sticky.
Yes, I agree these are the most comprehensive and accurate info I have seen regarding the SPX Stock Spec. I have done a lot of research on the internet before purchasing and I have never seen such useful info. Good job Reto

I have another question regarding Profile 7 and 8 on SPX Stock Spec, and Profile 9 and 10 on SXX. Does these profile uses "dynamic" timing or fixed timing? Meaning does the timing get continuously adjusted based on users throttle actions? I heard that SPX Stock Spec has a "second gear" effect, with combination of good punch, which leads me to suspect the timing is not fixed. In fact, this was one of the main reason I purchased SPX over Tekin RS. Reto, can you please confirm this?
Old 04-22-2009, 12:33 PM
Tech Addict

Glad to hear the information I provided is useful.
We should definitely try to be online more here at rctech and answer your questions but I guess we're just too few guys for too many projects at the moment at LRP in Germany.

Anyway, will try to improve...

As for the timing question, I can't really disclose full details on our timing algorithm as we don't want it too easy for our competition...
But I can say that billythekids findings and statements are not wrong!
Old 04-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Good question Billy.

To add to the questions: I ran a 13.5 trinity duo with the spx and SMC 5200 lipo this weekend and tq'd. lap times are on par with all the other fast drivers, but I feel better lap times can be had at lower temps.

The track temp reached 131 F.

My spx temped at 135 F without heat sink.

My Duo temped at 180F +.

spx settings: 1,8,2,5. not sure exactly sure how to utilize the power setting.

I think this is too hot for the spx and duo.

The FDR was 4.95. Track size medium w/ front straight.

What temp ranges should I be aiming for with this combo.

I know there is much to take into consideration; I feel power setting, drag break and FDR are the most critical. I'm still trying to determine how and when the software is changing the timing on the motor.

Any input appreciated.

Cheerz
Old 04-22-2009, 01:04 PM
Tech Addict

We should definitely try to be online more here at rctech and answer your questions but I guess we're just too few guys for too many projects at the moment at LRP in Germany.

As for the timing question, I can't really disclose full details on our timing algorithm as we don't want it too easy for our competition...
With all due respect, I find the absence of at least some quantifiable info on spx timing software detremental to the user of the SPX. If I had a better idea of how the timing advancing software worked I could better utilize the spx for my racing applications. For example, if I knew where the timing was at 10%, 50% and 100% throttle, I could better integrate this with my driving style to utilize the max potential of my spx/motor combo. With this info, many using the spx could harness it's max potential for a particular application. love the product, hate being uniformed.

Cheerz
Old 04-22-2009, 01:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Obsidian
Good question Billy.

To add to the questions: I ran a 13.5 trinity duo with the spx and SMC 5200 lipo this weekend and tq'd. lap times are on par with all the other fast drivers, but I feel better lap times can be had at lower temps.

The track temp reached 131 F.

My spx temped at 135 F without heat sink.

My Duo temped at 180F +.

spx settings: 1,8,2,5. not sure exactly sure how to utilize the power setting.

I think this is too hot for the spx and duo.

The FDR was 4.95. Track size medium w/ front straight.

What temp ranges should I be aiming for with this combo.

I know there is much to take into consideration; I feel power setting, drag break and FDR are the most critical. I'm still trying to determine how and when the software is changing the timing on the motor.

Any input appreciated.

Cheerz
both esc and motor temps are ok.......

I just think you are using a lot auto brake and initial brake and I think motor temps would be even lower if you reduce these settings..........
Old 04-22-2009, 01:48 PM
Tech Regular

Hi Reto, you can PM me. I promise I will not tell anyone else

I am your customer, not your competition. I can sign a non disclosure agreement with LRP if necessary
Old 04-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Obsidian
With all due respect, I find the absence of at least some quantifiable info on spx timing software detremental to the user of the SPX. If I had a better idea of how the timing advancing software worked I could better utilize the spx for my racing applications. For example, if I knew where the timing was at 10%, 50% and 100% throttle, I could better integrate this with my driving style to utilize the max potential of my spx/motor combo. With this info, many using the spx could harness it's max potential for a particular application. love the product, hate being uniformed.

Cheerz
Stick in car, set to high profile, drop 2 pinions to allow for the extra rpm, thrash.

That's all you need to know apart from the rpm's appear 'normal' until full throttle is used.

You (all of us) didn't get any more info on timing's etc with their previous ESC's, and many others don't provide any information like that as well so I don't honestly see why your so desperate to know.

If you want an ESC that can be programmed to the 'n'th degree to allow you set everything there are a few out there.

Skiddins
Old 04-22-2009, 05:14 PM
Tech Addict

Talking

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Stick in car, set to high profile, drop 2 pinions to allow for the extra rpm, thrash.

That's all you need to know apart from the rpm's appear 'normal' until full throttle is used.

You (all of us) didn't get any more info on timing's etc with their previous ESC's, and many others don't provide any information like that as well so I don't honestly see why your so desperate to know.

If you want an ESC that can be programmed to the 'n'th degree to allow you set everything there are a few out there.

Skiddins
I guess that's what I'll keep doing...I would never use anything else but LRP. I've seen too many other brands go pooooffff!!!.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for the info, I was looking for a good starting point.

Originally Posted by The Wease
On a track 100' x 60' I was at 3.92 fdr .Duo was set a 0 timing
spx settings were 1-7-2-2 motor was at 146 degrees after 6 minutes
Old 04-22-2009, 09:07 PM
Tech Adept

Will LRP post indicative dyno power/torque curves for the SPX used with the 10.5t stock spec motor (and 17.5t)? This would be very useful in choosing gearing and/or profile for different tracks. Even just knowing the shape of the power curve and where the peak is would be useful. I don't really want to try my 10.5t on #8 on the fantom dyno to find out the max revs, lol.

I basically use profile 8 all the time now and just gear down as needed based on temp. I found it is tough to choose between 1 pinion up and #7, or one pinion down and #8, although usually i find smaller pinion and #8 gives slightly better laptimes for rubber/asphalt but the temps are right on the limit (i can feel the motor losing punch near the end of the race).

For same gearing #8 always gives lower laptimes compared to #7 but again temps are higher.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:22 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gameover
Will LRP post indicative dyno power/torque curves for the SPX used with the 10.5t stock spec motor (and 17.5t)? This would be very useful in choosing gearing and/or profile for different tracks. Even just knowing the shape of the power curve and where the peak is would be useful. I don't really want to try my 10.5t on #8 on the fantom dyno to find out the max revs, lol.

I basically use profile 8 all the time now and just gear down as needed based on temp. I found it is tough to choose between 1 pinion up and #7, or one pinion down and #8, although usually i find smaller pinion and #8 gives slightly better laptimes for rubber/asphalt but the temps are right on the limit (i can feel the motor losing punch near the end of the race).

For same gearing #8 always gives lower laptimes compared to #7 but again temps are higher.
What brand is your 10.5T? I think different motor may react differently with SPX since they have different default hardware timing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.