Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 03:56 AM
Tech Regular

I read this on one of Josh Cyruls tips page

Free Drivetrain
Q: When you free up the drive train of your xray, do you cut every other tooth out on both front & rear pulley or just front? Also, do you cut the teeth out of belt too? I also saw that you extended the steering knuckles where steering linkage connects to, what does that do?

A: I just cut every other off of my front pulley. I DIDN"T CUT THE BELT!!! The extensions on my steering are actually pieces of the "foam tire" front shock tower cut off to fit. It gives the car less Ackerman - more high speed steering..

Anyone tried this on the 415?

cheers
Old 02-15-2006, 07:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eirik
Brian,

It's Tamiya's own Flourine coated ball ends, super smoooooth!!

TAM53599 Tamiya FL Coated Aluminum Ball Nut 5mm
TAM53598 Tamiya FL Coated 5mm Aluminum Ball Studs
I don't know why more people don't run Tamiya. I just decided in the last few weeks to check it out and I've been overly impressed with all they have to offer. I think I'm just over half way reading through this thread and you guys got your stuff together with knowing this car. Thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions as I go.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 129 (100%+)

Does anyone have a picture or scanned image of the world's part set sheet showing all the suspension blocks and what angles they generate? Would be useful to all of the new and future MSX owners. Thanks

Erik
Old 02-15-2006, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brian Anthony
I don't know why more people don't run Tamiya. I just decided in the last few weeks to check it out and I've been overly impressed with all they have to offer. I think I'm just over half way reading through this thread and you guys got your stuff together with knowing this car. Thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions as I go.
Your right, especially since the X-Ray T2 is a good copy of the MSX. I have both and decided to sell the X-Ray after one run...did not see the advantage over the MSX. (other than the fact that everyone around me runs an X-Ray one)

Last edited by Carl Giordano; 02-15-2006 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Eric look under Tryhard's signature he has a portion of his site that has that info.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

posed a Tamiya related question in the TCS thread if anyone happens to know the answer...

http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18976
Old 02-15-2006, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Simon A
Maybe your setup was to soft?
marc was running a very hard setup in vegas. 60wt oil and 33lb and a 28lb springs.I ran harder springs and oil lately and it is much better. I would love to get the 4mm chassis tho
My setup was almost the same as Marc's minus the 4mm chassis and a few tweaks here and there. I always run XRay springs on carpet Violet/Purple. I also had AE 60wt. Blah blah blah.. hehe. The setup is fast here at the local track. But it slowed down at the Birds. Honigl's car stayed the same during all 3 rounds in Mod. 28 laps at 5:06.

Anyways, setting the car back up for asphalt. Gotta get ready for TCS next month in MD. This should be a fun one....
Old 02-15-2006, 02:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Jimmy, I will be waiting !! with msx and MINI
Old 02-15-2006, 03:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by noobie
I read this on one of Josh Cyruls tips page

Free Drivetrain
Q: When you free up the drive train of your xray, do you cut every other tooth out on both front & rear pulley or just front? Also, do you cut the teeth out of belt too? I also saw that you extended the steering knuckles where steering linkage connects to, what does that do?

A: I just cut every other off of my front pulley. I DIDN"T CUT THE BELT!!! The extensions on my steering are actually pieces of the "foam tire" front shock tower cut off to fit. It gives the car less Ackerman - more high speed steering..

Anyone tried this on the 415?

cheers

Tried what ? Cutting every other tooth off the pulleys ? Nope and I wouldn't do it if i were you. Reason is, it won't change the drivetrain efficiency, and you won't get enough teeth in contact to transmit all the power, the drivetrain is struggling enough as it is now IMHO that I had bigger primary pulleys made up. Remember the XXX-S had massive pulleys so they could do it without fearing to have the belts skipping.

For the Ackermann you can try using the outer holes on thefront hubs that's exactly what they do, don't forget to re-set your EPA if you do this.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Casey
Jimmy, I will be waiting !! with msx and MINI
You better get dialed in while you are up there!! I plan on reclaiming my TQ again!!
Old 02-15-2006, 04:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TRF415boy
Tried what ? Cutting every other tooth off the pulleys ? Nope and I wouldn't do it if i were you. Reason is, it won't change the drivetrain efficiency, and you won't get enough teeth in contact to transmit all the power, the drivetrain is struggling enough as it is now IMHO that I had bigger primary pulleys made up. Remember the XXX-S had massive pulleys so they could do it without fearing to have the belts skipping.

For the Ackermann you can try using the outer holes on thefront hubs that's exactly what they do, don't forget to re-set your EPA if you do this.
Josh dremeled off every other tooth on the front diff pulley of his X-ray. I believe it is a 32 tooth pulley he did this to. The Losi guys used to cut every other tooth off of the yellow belt on the XXX-s. They they got the frictionless black belt and did not need to do this.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:44 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by KilRuf
My setup was almost the same as Marc's minus the 4mm chassis and a few tweaks here and there. I always run XRay springs on carpet Violet/Purple. I also had AE 60wt. Blah blah blah.. hehe. The setup is fast here at the local track. But it slowed down at the Birds. Honigl's car stayed the same during all 3 rounds in Mod. 28 laps at 5:06.

Anyways, setting the car back up for asphalt. Gotta get ready for TCS next month in MD. This should be a fun one....
i wish i could go tou big events all the time

But not that many down here
Old 02-16-2006, 03:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Brian Anthony
Josh dremeled off every other tooth on the front diff pulley of his X-ray. I believe it is a 32 tooth pulley he did this to. The Losi guys used to cut every other tooth off of the yellow belt on the XXX-s. They they got the frictionless black belt and did not need to do this.
Oh right i thought there was something wrong in there, josh and XXX-S, lol. I still don't see the use of it, drivetrain efficiency is given by the radius of curvature of the belt and the longitudinal speed of the belt, cutting teeth on the diff pulley won't change any of those parameters.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Casey & Jimmy...are you guys racing at Mimi's the weekend of March 3rd. Carpet season is not yet over
Old 02-16-2006, 07:33 AM
TFR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Just saw these pictures from an Hong Kong forum, seems Tamiya driver at TITC is testing new steering system.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF415-1.jpg   Tamiya TRF415-2.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.