Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
The Bob Stormer "Radio Control History" project.  Needs you! >

The Bob Stormer "Radio Control History" project. Needs you!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Bob Stormer "Radio Control History" project. Needs you!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M-chassisMark
We have a very humble carpet track at the Hobbytown USA in Mooresville, NC. Many nascar crew guys come race 1/18 Losi latemodels and mini sprints with us, and a few drivers have cars and show up occasionally.
I know, back in the pan car heyday, we sold stuff to most of the teams. At that time, Harry Gants team was the most active, at least with us. his crew chief at that time was, I believe, Andy Petree. If I remember the story correctly, it was his sister that helped us branch out and try some Nascar apparel back in the day. She lived in Montana at the time and had a motorsports shop of her own. I might have a few of the names wrong, but that's pretty close.

All I remember about stocking the apparel, was how fleeting it all was. You'd get a load of shirts in, BAM, the team would get a new sponsor, you'd get more new shirts in. We had a lot of trouble keeping up with it. And eventually threw up our hands and quit stocking it. We stocked No fear at that time too. MAN, that got to be a broad line. Hard to keep up with, was before we really had an interweb.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Bob, I would recommend NOT doing any sort of formal museum. We race toy cars, and they aren't old enough or have sufficient following to start such a thing. On the other hand, if you have a cool part or a nice piece of rare hardware you think is noteworthy, take a picture and post it for us. It doesn't even have to be a good picture, smartphone images would be great. Pics like that old tri-shock Agitator or six-cell builds make my day
Old 03-01-2012, 07:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat
Bob, I would recommend NOT doing any sort of formal museum. We race toy cars, and they aren't old enough or have sufficient following to start such a thing. On the other hand, if you have a cool part or a nice piece of rare hardware you think is noteworthy, take a picture and post it for us. It doesn't even have to be a good picture, smartphone images would be great. Pics like that old tri-shock Agitator or six-cell builds make my day
Website Museum
Old 03-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
I don't know that anybody short of the hundred of us here would particularly care. Actual museum, a nice guaranteed way to lose 100k a year.

It's every where, in every building, in every room. I find axles in coat pockets, rims in the glove box of my truck. I constantly open boxes and find things I forgot about or didn't even know I have.

I find the whole thing very frustrating about 95% of the time. But I can't seem to stop doing it either, or even slow down. 6 boxes of stuff today, a few yesterday, yadda...yadda... But little things. things needed to complete projects. They're not all glory items. I did swing a deal with a guy and I picked up big wad of new in the bag brushed motors to finish off some things.

I have a lot of people PM me on the forums, with obscure stuff. that helps too.

An actual museum, with staff, restrooms, etc. would be a total fail. My family is involved HEAVILY with the Lemay car museum in Tacoma. I know what goes on, and the work involved. It's hard, thankless, and crazy expensive.

I suspect if I could whittle it all down to say a 2500-3000 square foot building, and just store stuff in it, that could work. But it's kind of like that now. Just not well displayed. Right now I'm working through about 1500 pounds of vintage Schumacher offroad stuff we had stored. that was a happy accident. But now it's a mess. I put up about 250 sq feet of pegboard high up in our track room, hoping to get it all hung up in there and organized so I can find it. that stuff is mostly Schu' offroad, I'd say 1990-1995, and a lot of tires from 1984-1990. A lot, thousands.

I do want to restore an old red chassis Cougar-2. those were kinda pimpin.

most people have no idea how many pan cars there were. thinking it was potentially 5-10. It's hundreds. and some obscure companys from back in the day, like "Franklin". Yea, I know youre not gonna know that one, I have 2 of the cars. Most people don't know we did a 235mm car, sold 6 of 18 (I think that's how it went down, or maybe it was 12 of 18.) I really need to get that organized.
You could always make a web based rc museum setup as a timeline with pictures and blogs about various eras
Old 03-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Infinite 12th
Website Museum
Originally Posted by PFKAOG
You could always make a web based rc museum setup as a timeline with pictures and blogs about various eras
That's always pretty much been the plan. I have these as the "doorway" to the museum.

There is nothing on either of them yet. Blank.
http://historyofrc.com/
and
http://radiocontrolhistory.com/

I've got some people on the forums that are web savvy, helping with the tech side of getting it going. Gonna take a few years. It's history, it's not oing anywhere, but the people involved aren't getting any younger and frankly, it's getting harder to remember what's what.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

you could always build a giant time capsule and burry it. somebody years down the road will find it and say what is all this stuff.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:17 AM
Tech Elite

Each of our respective R/C collections is a time capsule. Bob's just happens to be bigger than most.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Each of our respective R/C collections is a time capsule. Bob's just happens to be bigger than most.
would he be considered a rc horder? maybe get a reality tv show. "inside the life of a rc horder". i know i might consider myself one of those.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:32 AM
Regional Moderator

Bob's just happens to be bigger than most.
The TMI police are waiting for you.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
The TMI police are waiting for you.
And the maturity-of-an-eight-year-old police have found you already. Don't check behind you, he's already there with the nightstick.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wait a minute
you could always build a giant time capsule and burry it. somebody years down the road will find it and say what is all this stuff.
Probably would look like this.

Bob's just happens to be bigger than most.
YEA!

And the maturity-of-an-eight-year-old police have found you already.
to be honest, it's all I could to NOT type, "that's what she said..." behind it.

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 03-02-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
Probably would look like this.

YEA!

to be honest, it's all I could to NOT type, "that's what she said..." behind it.
That's the answer Bob. A portable R/C museum. A rolling, revolving museum on wheels. Take it to the big races and trade shows. A different show each time.

Whatcha think?
Old 03-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RacinJ
That's the answer Bob. A portable R/C museum. A rolling, revolving museum on wheels. Take it to the big races and trade shows. A different show each time.

Whatcha think?
I'm in. What could possibly go wrong?
Old 03-03-2012, 10:29 PM
Tech Master

And the maturity-of-an-eight-year-old police have found you already. Don't check behind you, he's already there with the nightstick.
Come on Rat learn to laugh at yourself; we do Doh!! ;-). You didn't really think that type of comment would go unchecked??? We do play with toy cars after all. By the very definition that makes us all somewhat immature.
E
Old 03-04-2012, 12:38 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by EricF
Come on Rat learn to laugh at yourself; we do Doh!! ;-). You didn't really think that type of comment would go unchecked??? We do play with toy cars after all. By the very definition that makes us all somewhat immature.
E
Nonsense!! I'm very mature. In fact I have gone beyond mature. I have achieved genuine "Old Fart" status.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.