Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF417

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sith Lord
If I'm explaining it right, I can't seem to get enough droop using the v5 Aeration shocks running foam tyres. Currently my foams a around 55-56mm compared to regular rubbers at 64 or so.

Are the regular old style TRF shocks longer and therefore give me the ability to get more droop?
Im pretty sure the shocks are very similar in length. Since the ride height is changed by about 8mm im sure that has some effect on the droop
Only other thing I can think of is for the front, the c-hub hits the arm before the droop screw hits the chassis, that happened to me at the start with the v5 so I sanded the arms and It fixed it...
Old 04-13-2013, 02:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default Raceberry

Good day of testing today, low grip asphalt again but this time with the soft raceberry chassis mounted - big improvement! Overall grip was similar to the V5 but the car was far more agile and easier to drive on the limit. There's a lot more to come with some setup work, I sort of feel like I'm starting from square 1 again with a new car
Old 04-13-2013, 05:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Craig, you are running that chassis on a 417x with the bulkheads shimmed up correct?
Old 04-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

For West Coast RC, what weight diff oil do most of you run in the rear? 1000?
Old 04-13-2013, 02:23 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by SS LS1
Craig, you are running that chassis on a 417x with the bulkheads shimmed up correct?
yes I converted one of my x's
Old 04-13-2013, 02:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sith Lord
If I'm explaining it right, I can't seem to get enough droop using the v5 Aeration shocks running foam tyres. Currently my foams a around 55-56mm compared to regular rubbers at 64 or so.

Are the regular old style TRF shocks longer and therefore give me the ability to get more droop?
Originally Posted by narcotiks
Im pretty sure the shocks are very similar in length. Since the ride height is changed by about 8mm im sure that has some effect on the droop
Only other thing I can think of is for the front, the c-hub hits the arm before the droop screw hits the chassis, that happened to me at the start with the v5 so I sanded the arms and It fixed it...
Thanks for your thoughts Narcotiks. Does anyone have both shocks handy to measure, so I can rule in or out this option for me?

Cheers
Old 04-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Tech Champion

Aeration and HL shocks are the same length
Old 04-13-2013, 05:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

@CraigM...
Sorry but I am sure that you covered this already. This is about the Raceberry chassis set. How many mm raise for the front and rear bulkheads? How many mm for the top deck.

Thanks~!
Old 04-13-2013, 06:51 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JoeyE
@CraigM...
Sorry but I am sure that you covered this already. This is about the Raceberry chassis set. How many mm raise for the front and rear bulkheads? How many mm for the top deck.

Thanks~!
0.5mm under the bulkheads and 2mm under the top deck for 417X bulkheads

Nothing under the bulkheads and 1.5mm under the top deck for 417V5 bulkheads

My friend pointed out yesterday that with the X bulkheads you could cut up an old top deck to use instead of the 2mm shims. I might give it a go later today
Old 04-14-2013, 08:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CraigM

My friend pointed out yesterday that with the X bulkheads you could cut up an old top deck to use instead of the 2mm shims. I might give it a go later today
Cool thanks~! Need to order a few 0.5 shims. The kit came with 2mm for the top deck.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CraigM

Is the new gearing now 1.85?
Old 04-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Tech Regular

Good day of testing today, low grip asphalt again but this time with the soft raceberry chassis mounted - big improvement! Overall grip was similar to the V5 but the car was far more agile and easier to drive on the limit. There's a lot more to come with some setup work, I sort of feel like I'm starting from square 1 again with a new car
Craig, I could also feel the car being more agile today.
Coming from the X, I only had at the moment the stiffer Raceberry chassis, but even with that my car was a lot easier to drive for me (compared to the X spec)!
I could manage to win my local championship race today, on quite difficult conditions. In the morning it was partly raining, with getting dry in the late afternoon. Car was a little pushing into some tight corners, as some of you also noticed, but despite of that still very agile in the quick chicanes. This made it easy to drive on the partly wet track, great.
Only problem I had was on the Yokomo pulley: One side plate did pop off, and was loose after one run. Cannot say way, the belt stayed still on.

I´m very keen on the soft chassis now for the next races!

BR,
Matthias
Old 04-15-2013, 04:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi guys, having a trf417v5, will a full hudy setup station be useful or do i just need gauge, etc. what are the most useful tool/s needed for tuning this car?

Last edited by dingsky; 04-15-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Default 416x diffs

Hi guys, question for anyone about the diffs!!! I am in process of building my 416x and I am wanting to know if the ball diff that is for the rear is interchangeable with the spool in front? The reason for my ? Is that I currently have a TA-05 running gear diffs front and rear and really like how it drives! So I have purchased the TRF gear diff for my 416 to run in rear and will eventually like to get one for front but until I purchase it I was thinking I could run the ball diff in front. I have never ran a spool and don't know what to expect with it on carpet! Thanks for your help
Old 04-15-2013, 11:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jstarr300
Hi guys, question for anyone about the diffs!!! I am in process of building my 416x and I am wanting to know if the ball diff that is for the rear is interchangeable with the spool in front? The reason for my ? Is that I currently have a TA-05 running gear diffs front and rear and really like how it drives! So I have purchased the TRF gear diff for my 416 to run in rear and will eventually like to get one for front but until I purchase it I was thinking I could run the ball diff in front. I have never ran a spool and don't know what to expect with it on carpet! Thanks for your help
Yes they are interchangeable!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.