Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Problems with Slash motor frying

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 12:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Problems with Slash motor frying

Hey guys I'm new here so pardon my lack of knowledge.
I used to race back in the days (16 years ago) and have just started to get back into it.

I bought the Slash and decided to tweak it a little so I dropped in my Tekin
speed controll (I cant remember which model but its about 6 years old) and I bought a 7 cell Losi 4600nimh pack.
the problem I'm having is that I've fried 3 motors in the truck each one with a single charge on the Losi pack.

first I fried the stock motor (no surprise there) so I dropped in my Orion Chrome modified 15t double and fried it in about 9 minutes so then I tried my Komodo 19t and same thing it lasted about 12 min then got so hot it melted the solder joints.

I have been running that Tekin speed controller in my sons T3 for about 3 years with the same Orion chrome modified motor and have never had any problems until getting the Losi race pack. could that really be the problem or do you think it is a mixture of both ?

the speed controller is supposedly goodfor 4-10 cells and good to "no turn limit"

any help would be appriciated.

thanks guys

Jason
Old 10-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

7 cell packs are definitely harder on a motor, that's probably the issue since you've also had problems with other motors.

It's also possibly a drivetrain binding issue. Take the motor out (or at least disengage the pinion from spur) and see how freely the transmission turns. You should be able to spin the wheels without much resistance.

I'd put money on it being the batteries though.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The extended run times with newer batteries will cause more heat to build up in the motor. For trucks like the slash I would recommend not using high timing motors like the komodo, they just don't run very efficiently. The slash has the added problem of a plastic motor plate that doesn't help the motor dissipate heat. What pinion and spur gear are you running? You might need to gear down (smaller pinion) to keep motors alive.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

+1 on gearing down. Also, make sure your motors are nice and clean as dirty comms and gritty bearings are not helpful in keeping motors alive. 12 minutes is a pretty long time to run that setup so that might also be a contributing factor to your heat problem.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

ya gear it down maybe. ive been running the stock ESC (which is water proof and lipo ready with warning signal) and 7 cell 4200 packs without issue. not sure what pinion i have on it atm though.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by Timmahh
ive been running the stock ESC (which is water proof and lipo ready with warning signal)
Are you talking about the XL5 in the Slash? If so, is that a new update and when did they start that?
Old 10-28-2008, 08:50 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

yes. stock Slash ESC/Motor. 4200mah 7cell packs. im just not sure what pinion is on it. I ll ASSuME its around a 18T pinion.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't see anything about lipo alarm in specs?
Old 10-28-2008, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

The stock esc (Blue Cased XL-5) is not A li-Po ready esc. There has been no updated version either. And stock out of the box gearing is 18/86.

This is right from Traxxas's site: ** The installed XL-5 does not provide low voltage detection for LiPo battery packs. Consult your hobby dealer for add-on solutions that will allow Lipo usage with the XL-5. Batteries sold separately. **

Jason
Old 10-28-2008, 04:34 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

*Insert thinly disguised Max Amp plug for lipo cut off here*

You shouldn't be using Lipo in the slash anyway, it's a waterproof car yes, Lipos and water simply don't mix. I run my Slash on 7 cell Nimh only, no way will I run a lipo in it if I intend to get it wet (which is always)
Old 10-29-2008, 06:47 AM
Tech Master

It's perfectly fine to run Li-Po's in a Slash with a an LVC or an LVA. And water isn't good for any battery period whether NimH or Li-po. Packs can get splashed it's not going to hurt them at all. But submersion isn't a good idea and that goes for Both types. Simply put don't be put off by some who appears to be a bit biased about Li-po's. They are perfectly safe to use in any RC car. Oh by the way all I was doing was pointing out that the Blue cased XL-5 is not li-po ready. You simply turned it into a great plug thanks.

Jason
Old 10-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

JAM rocks. And so do the Maxamps batteries. There's your plug. LOL.

Anyways. A little confusion here on my part. I keep seeing the 18t quoted as being stock, but here on Traxxas' site it's showing 19t as stock with the 23t optional included in the box.

So is it 18 or 19 tooth stock pinion?
Old 10-29-2008, 11:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Arrow

Originally Posted by air8
JAM rocks. And so do the Maxamps batteries. There's your plug. LOL.

Anyways. A little confusion here on my part. I keep seeing the 18t quoted as being stock, but here on Traxxas' site it's showing 19t as stock with the 23t optional included in the box.

So is it 18 or 19 tooth stock pinion?
I checked to be sure. Mine came with an 18T pinion with the 23T as the optional one.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:54 AM
Tech Master

I've got mine sitting here in my hand. I pulled it because I'm running a Mamba Max with a 7700kv on a 16T right now. Just counted the stock and it is 18T.

Jason
Old 10-30-2008, 05:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Ok. Thanx guys. Just checking. Mine arrived at the LHS today but I have to work 12hrs tonight so I can't open it till tomorrow. Bummer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.