Originally Posted by RobsRacin
I think it's only going to get worse
Old 12-05-2014, 04:35 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Yep, only makes me think even more about some bad stuff going on
Old 12-05-2014, 05:49 PM
Tech Addict

It's a shame because they're my favorite brand but they're falling off hard.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:44 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by madweazl
You do realize you're talking about a company who's first vehicle was targeted directly to the racer, right? It remained that way for over a decade before any "basher" vehicles came from them. I'd argue that they need to drop the non race vehicles and refocus on the race market (along with Losi) but they want that money.
Yes. Couldnt agree more.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:55 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by M03Racer
As far as I know from a source who works for AE, since they have been purchased by Thunder Tiger they are re-structuring. What I don't wanna see is more of the TT stuff being used by AE like in the ProLite SCT. This would make they're products cheaper. I've been a fan of AE since the mid 90's and I'm hoping that they will still bring out quality RC cars and trucks.
The way their website reads thunder tiger has been building associated cars for a long time and the merger took place in 2005.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm just coming back to hobby since my RC10 days in late 1980's. I recall trying to assemble that dang wiper speed control as a young teenager. Great learning experience though. Lot of great choices, but after research, looks like I'm going with dedicated high quality racing companies like kyosho, and new ones I disnt know about like serpent, Xray. I don't want mess market average stuff. Just quality for me.

Looks like three business models: really high volume and cheap parts, medium high volume and medium price, but upgrade parts or frequent replacement parts make up for not having high volume, and low volume high quality but you have to pay higher prices because the company has to spread overhead costs over less volume. Kyosho seems to straddle the high end high quality and medium volume medium quality.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:23 PM
Suspended

Wow thats a awful review. Looks like im scrubbing my plans to get the b5. I have a 4.1 and really like it. Im not a great driver by any means but ive only broke 3 arms in 2 years. And i send it tumbling all the time. I do have a set of rpm arms ready to go on when the time comes.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mtpocketsracing
Wow thats a awful review. Looks like im scrubbing my plans to get the b5. I have a 4.1 and really like it. Im not a great driver by any means but ive only broke 3 arms in 2 years. And i send it tumbling all the time. I do have a set of rpm arms ready to go on when the time comes.
The B4 is a great platform, but the B5 is better in my opinion. Yes my ball cups were a bit tight and I did glue my hub inserts in - but in every other way I feel my B5 is FAR superior to the B4.2 I built for my son. Parts fit, design, and composition of the plastics are very good - and beefy too.

You can have quality issues with any company. I hear people praise TLR for their quality yet I have experienced missing and defective parts in the TLR kits I have purchased. Doesn't mean TLR is a bad company - it happens to all of them.

I think AE is headed in the right direction with the next gen cars and I think some of this chatter will subside once they update the rest of their race platforms.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

ouch !
Old 12-06-2014, 04:28 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I have yet to build an Associated car that didn't have any quality issues. I decided to give in and purchased my first new AE car to run in over 4 years. My LHS had a Black Friday sale on the B5M. Noted that the overall quality of plastics and finish has improved since my B4 days. The screws hardware is vastly improved. However it is still not as good as other high end manufacturers quality on overall build.You get what you pay for.

My kit had an under drilled hole size on the CVA coupler so I couldn't finish my kit. The oxide coating on the turnbuckles were making my fingers black! I have never encountered this on any other RC kit. These turnbuckles are going to rust fast. Also found an eye lash and two strands of hair in my kit. Gross. I still have to finish the car, hopefully won't run into other issues. Just poor quality control overall.

Associated support has been great but these things could have been taken care of up front easily. I'd be glad to work for them to address it since I work as a quality engineer. Haha
Old 12-06-2014, 04:41 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by madweazl
You do realize you're talking about a company who's first vehicle was targeted directly to the racer, right? It remained that way for over a decade before any "basher" vehicles came from them. I'd argue that they need to drop the non race vehicles and refocus on the race market (along with Losi) but they want that money.

That's fine and great. I personally couldn't care less about racing any more. Too much money, too much time, too many classes, too much sitting around waiting for my heat, too much of a PIA to find a pit guy, etc.. I do however still like 8th scale offroad RC's - a lot, and have an RC8T, RC8B, SC8, and SC8e.. (the SC8e is boring as hell and so is for sale.. Probably my best RC- the RC8T too, soon.. If I can even get a reasonable price for it, given that it's been out for five years, and in racing one year is ancient.....) Point is, I don't have to care about racing to dump money into the company. But I did. Lots. So did LOTS AND LOTS of other people. The RC8.2e had to be a huge money maker... Problem is, in racing you need ("need"....) an upgraded model every 10 months, and at the scale on which AE operates, that wasn't feasible probably. Which is unfortunate, because it's exactly what I liked about AE - so many cars based on the same platform sharing so many parts...

Part of the problem IMO is racing. It's too fractured(too many classes), and people take it way too seriously. Maybe they could do like Losi and make AE the racing side like TLR, and TT more the basher side.. Kind of seems like they're doing that anyway. TT btw does make great basher cars. Can't say AE is having the same success on the racing side... Huge mess over at AE. Unfortunately...
Old 12-06-2014, 06:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm an Associated supporter and I love my B5, no issues with the build and no broken parts despite my lack of driving skills. There is no question they have some outdated platforms.

The big red flag for me was when team driver Ryan Mayfield resigned and joined TLR. Like many of us, Ryan is racer, and racers want equipment capable of winning races. I have to believe that he saw some problems in management and/or development that he believes can not be easily fixed in the short term.

Like I say, I love my B5 but I'm afraid Associated is moving too slow, and lacking commitment and direction.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:44 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by vikingen
ouch !
Jason has some good reviews! I'm not sure how I missed this one but I'm glad I watched it. A few months ago and I was thinking about trying a 1/10 4wd buggy and was browsing the b44.3 thread on here and turned away quickly after reading a few pages.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Fastforward
I'm an Associated supporter and I love my B5, no issues with the build and no broken parts despite my lack of driving skills. There is no question they have some outdated platforms.

The big red flag for me was when team driver Ryan Mayfield resigned and joined TLR. Like many of us, Ryan is racer, and racers want equipment capable of winning races. I have to believe that he saw some problems in management and/or development that he believes can not be easily fixed in the short term.

Like I say, I love my B5 but I'm afraid Associated is moving too slow, and lacking commitment and direction.
I always thought he moved to TLR because the lack of movement with AE's 1/8 platform.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

I wonder if they're coming out with a new rc8.2e anytime soon? Tower had the FT kits on sale yesterday for $409... $365 w/ the coupon code.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.