Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree34Likes

Schumacher Mi5

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 09:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

JWick, where are you getting those Solaris wheels/tires?
Old 10-10-2014, 02:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by greenpea76
JWick, where are you getting those Solaris wheels/tires?
I bought them at the german shop RC-KleinKram (also called T2Shop, because he was spezialised on Xray cars).

They are very good and constant and looks very cool with those wheels.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JWick
Thank you very much.

I will test it at the LRP-Challenge (18./19. 10.2014). I will also test an active rear suspension there. I inform you about the results

Here is a picture of the active suspension:
Attachment 1237588
And one about of my Mi5 Evo, which I repurpled
Attachment 1237592
And the matching bodywork
Attachment 1237593
I'd had a look at out fitting my evo with a reactive rear, but a couple of things to bare in mind with the setup you've gone with.

1) Rear lowershock position - It's a lot further in when using the front arms on the rear, which will dramatically alter the level of grip.
2) Rear roll bar - obviously using the front bar on the rear is needed to work with the front arms, but a shorter bar will behave stiffer than the standard longer one.

Not saying that the reactive rear won't be an interesting experiment, but you'll need to bare the above in mind when running it.

Ed
Old 10-11-2014, 05:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by TryHard
I'd had a look at out fitting my evo with a reactive rear, but a couple of things to bare in mind with the setup you've gone with.

1) Rear lowershock position - It's a lot further in when using the front arms on the rear, which will dramatically alter the level of grip.
2) Rear roll bar - obviously using the front bar on the rear is needed to work with the front arms, but a shorter bar will behave stiffer than the standard longer one.

Not saying that the reactive rear won't be an interesting experiment, but you'll need to bare the above in mind when running it.

Ed
I find it great, that other persons build it and find the same "problems".
But there are easy ways to solve some of them.
1) Rear lowershock position - To adjust the ride height in the same range, you have to use other/lower spring plate. So I used them from my old HB TCX (#73510). They suit perfekt and you can easy set for example 4mm ride height.
1.2) Shock position - The biggest problem is, that the lower shock attachment ist much more inside the car and the shock has another angle, so that you have a complete different spring and shock transmission. I calculate a little bit and get a correction factor of 1.17. So your old spring hardness multiplied with 1.17 result in the spring hardness, which you have to use with an active suspension. Also you have to use harder oil. Concrete it means, if you use for example the Spec-R 2.5 Spring now you have to use the 2.9 Spring and instead of 350cSt oil you have to use 400cSt to have comparable values.
2) Rear roll bar - Here the same. To get nearly the same values, you have to use a correction factor of 1.26. So your old diameter divided by 1.26 result in your new diameter of the roll bar. So instead of the 3 point rear roll bar you have to use the 1 point front roll bar.

The biggest problem ist, that the roll center values also changed and
I have no desire to calculate that one too and i´m not 100% sure if my calculates are general right.

But we will see it next week and i will give you an detailed report
Old 10-11-2014, 01:03 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JWick
I find it great, that other persons build it and find the same "problems".
But there are easy ways to solve some of them.
1) Rear lowershock position - To adjust the ride height in the same range, you have to use other/lower spring plate. So I used them from my old HB TCX (#73510). They suit perfekt and you can easy set for example 4mm ride height.
1.2) Shock position - The biggest problem is, that the lower shock attachment ist much more inside the car and the shock has another angle, so that you have a complete different spring and shock transmission. I calculate a little bit and get a correction factor of 1.17. So your old spring hardness multiplied with 1.17 result in the spring hardness, which you have to use with an active suspension. Also you have to use harder oil. Concrete it means, if you use for example the Spec-R 2.5 Spring now you have to use the 2.9 Spring and instead of 350cSt oil you have to use 400cSt to have comparable values.
2) Rear roll bar - Here the same. To get nearly the same values, you have to use a correction factor of 1.26. So your old diameter divided by 1.26 result in your new diameter of the roll bar. So instead of the 3 point rear roll bar you have to use the 1 point front roll bar.

The biggest problem ist, that the roll center values also changed and
I have no desire to calculate that one too and i´m not 100% sure if my calculates are general right.

But we will see it next week and i will give you an detailed report
WOW
Old 10-11-2014, 01:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Try using RC Crew Chief - http://rccrewchief.wrightdesign.ca/ The Mi5-Evo has been modeled so you can swap out the various dimensions for front on to rear and have the program calculate the new values.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Mi5evo alloy chassis

anyone have any thoughts on alloy chassis on carpet?
Old 10-13-2014, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Gino S
anyone have any thoughts on alloy chassis on carpet?
+1.
I'll be looking to pick one up as a tuning tool, but curious if anyone has had experience with it, seems like it would definitely help with high grip, such as our club.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

With the IIC going on this week in Vegas, I'm sure that something will be posted as several drivers are there and running the alloy chassis...stay tuned
Old 10-13-2014, 03:48 PM
Tech Rookie

[QUOTE=Gino S;13591703]anyone have any thoughts on alloy chassis on carpet?[/QUOTE:

We did test it to the 1st round of the Danish championship on a high grip Carpet track with Sorex 28. And this is one off the best things we have done to make the car even better on High grip tracks!
Schumacher Mi5-alloy-chassis.jpg-randers.jpgSchumacher Mi5-drcmu1-2014-randers.jpgSchumacher Mi5-car.jpg
Old 10-13-2014, 09:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)

got a used mi5 last fri,with a bunch of rear arms in their marked bags,my ? is how do you tell the difference in the amount of tow,once you take them out of the bag?
thay all look the same to me.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:38 AM
Tech Rookie

[QUOTE=KILDK;13592732]
anyone have any thoughts on alloy chassis on carpet?[/QUOTE:

We did test it to the 1st round of the Danish championship on a high grip Carpet track with Sorex 28. And this is one off the best things we have done to make the car even better on High grip tracks!
Attachment 1239503Attachment 1239504Attachment 1239505
I seem to be finding that the alloy chassis develops under-steer on high grip, and rather surprisingly seems to work quite well on low grip as well. Have moved to 2.5 rear toe. Still under-steers.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:12 AM
Tech Rookie

[QUOTE=Gino S;13593687]
Originally Posted by KILDK

I seem to be finding that the alloy chassis develops under-steer on high grip, and rather surprisingly seems to work quite well on low grip as well. Have moved to 2.5 rear toe. Still under-steers.
We did have so much steering that we did use a geardiff with Ride45 in the front to make the car less agressiv in the steering, so maybe you have to make some set-up adjustments :-)
And we did also test the same set-up at our local very low-grip track and had the same very god experience as you
Old 10-14-2014, 02:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

@JWick: Car looks nice!
After reading your post it seems you are using the front Wishbones in the rear, which means that your ratio between wheel bump travel and damper travel is changed quite a lot. (damper and springs are moving less at same bump travel)
So if the ratio difference is at 1.26 (so 26% less movement), as you mentioned, you use 26% stiffer springs!
But the dampers not only move less, so damperforce is reduced by the changed ratio, also the SPEED!!! is changed. And as the speed nearly linearily effects the damping force the damper effect is reduced by the changed ratio in both ways.
Therefore you need to increase the damping effect by 1,26 * 1,26 = 1,59 (so you need 59 % more damping.) So i would recommend using about 550 cst oil. To get a) the same roll and heave stiffness and also the same roll and heave dampening.
I hope you can read my english ^^, coming from germany too.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:56 AM
Tech Rookie

[QUOTE=KILDK;13593721]
We did have so much steering that we did use a geardiff with Ride45 in the front to make the car less agressiv in the steering, so maybe you have to make some set-up adjustments :-)
And we did also test the same set-up at our local very low-grip track and had the same very god experience as you
Thanks.

Did you also run the chassis braces? My car is so stiff with chassis braces and 2.5mm top decks - i'm wondering if this is over-kill?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.