Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fordfreak95

1/8 buggy with bigger tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 06:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default 1/8 buggy with bigger tires?

What wheels/tires are best to convert 8 scale e-buggy into a muggy I think some people call them.? Getting a new 1/8 ebuggy and keeping it for track use only. Want to use old buggy for bashing. Will truggy wheels work?
Old 06-04-2020, 07:58 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CoryRC
What wheels/tires are best to convert 8 scale e-buggy into a muggy I think some people call them.? Getting a new 1/8 ebuggy and keeping it for track use only. Want to use old buggy for bashing. Will truggy wheels work?
You can definitely slap some 3.8's on a buggy, like the Proline Badlands and depending on your gearing, it should work fine. At least it did for me when I tried in on my TLR nitro. What I ended doing though was installing a set of Proline 2.8 Bandlands with Raid wheels and used the 17mm adapters. It's more of a truggy setup but without the extra mass the 3.8's introduce. Even geared low, my clutch shoes were taking a beating, you shouldn't have that issue with an electric though other than heat management. If you want more width, you can install the wider 17mm offset adapters and I'm sure there are more options coming from manufacturers soon to work with the Raid wheels. For bashing, the 2.8's have been great compared to standard buggy sized options.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I extended the hub hexes and went with 2.8 Badlands on my Typhon, to turn it into a basher after retiring it from track use. After some changes with diff fluid, gearing and suspension it was a pretty amazing basher. So you could certainly go that route. I ended up recently selling it to my friend who wants to get into RCs with his son, so it is back to being a regular buggy. Here it is before I changed it.

Old 06-04-2020, 05:19 PM
Tech Addict

Very cool. Never heard of raid wheels.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:58 AM
Tech Initiate

I always opt for the MT version of the buggy from the same platform or a solution to mount a body that covers the shock towers. If you use a buggy as a basher , at some point you will crash and your exposed towers, shocks, and wings will get banged up.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:24 AM
Tech Addict

Bigger tires will actually protect the towers and shocks better. Wings are meant to break so people spend more money.
Old 06-06-2020, 06:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Ofna 96106 wheels died red and Proline 1141-02 crimefighter tires. Buggy is a Losi 8ight x converted to electric. Arrma Kraton shock cap protectors. Body painted with truck bed liner. This is my 3rd monster buggy build. I have built Muggys also (Truggy based) but the Monster Buggy are much more agile in the air.

This is a Losi 3.0/4.0 mix that I built back in late March using 3.2 dish wheels and Panther 3.2 tires. Guy I built it for like to keep it low.

I use the stiffest Losi springs I can get and 45 weight fr/ 40 weight r shock oils. Diff oils are also increased to 50/100/30. I also alway use T bone bumpers. Building them is fun...destroying them jumping sky high is even more fun!
CoryRC likes this.