Wiki Posts
Search

1/8th On Road Losing Popularity?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jrabbito
No ONE person will set the peramiters for this class. Thats what I have been saying all along.

You need to involve ROAR, the local clubs and their members in these discussions. Hash out a set of rules and then execute on that plan. Sounds long and complicated? It is!!! You are devising a new class and the cumulative investment by racers will be in the tens of thousands of dollars!!

I know I wouldn't invest personally in a class that wasn't nationally recognized and I am sure there are others in the same boat. If ROAR backs it then you stand a MUCH better chance of making this fly and adding credability to this. It doesn't guarantee a thing though..I realize that.

This isn't to say that a local club couldn't flourish under its own rules and guidelines.

John

P.S. Writing off peoples opinons and suggestions as marginal if they aren't yours is a sure recipe for failure. I have seen it first hand.

What happened when the IRL constructed a "spec" class for open wheel american racing??? If you think that the potential to hurt the 1/8 open class isnt there think again. There are only so many people willing to race 1/8. Divide them how you like.
John, need to involve ROAR?....check my signature...seems to me like this has gotten the attention of ROAR...Even Rick Wilson is has contributed to the thread...So far we have gotten feedback from a few some clubs, a few ROAR representatives and those racers who are actually ROAR members....

Also, lets not reference and compare other forms of racing to RC, with the gnereal notion that "see it failed there" ..For every failure there is a success somewhere....

I said early, if one club benefits from the implementation of "SPEC" class than the effort was a success. No one is going to enforce that "SPEC" class be run at every track and event...if a club elects not to run a SPEC class, that's fine...all we are trying to do is set some guidelines so those clubs that want to embrace a SPEC class know that there are a standard set of rules to follow.

And YES, they are marginal...
"waiting to see and evaluate the situation"...oh come on...we have enough politicans in this country...lets do something about it now...this concept is not new, people have been talking about it for years...Serpent recognizes the problem...and have introduced a line of reasonable priced engines....

"another class will divide the racers and lose interest"....the same argument can be made for a running the sportsman class...this is worse...by making drivers race in a sportsman class your telling them they are not ready to race with the "experts"...fuck that, that's why the dumbass class failed in the NY/CT...who decides who is good enough or not.....sportsman used to be 2wd 1/8th

"1/8th scale is an extreme form of racing, slowing it down is not the solution"...if we do not do something about rising prices, only the "elite" will enjoy this form of racing....what's really funny is the price of 1/8th scale in no way affects me financially, yet I'm the one arguing to somehow reduce the cost for the benefit of the hobby...so a SPEC class is in no way self served

"adding another class to make the A-Main"....if someone is always worried about making the A-main they are in the hobby for the wrong reasons....

I'm not going to stop what I started...If the executives at ROAR feel a spec class is going to be a deterrent, that's fine....but I will promote this form of racing at our club events, cause I beleive it is truely needed...

One person is not setting the parameters...a proposal will be sent to ROAR and the executive committee with vote on it...

We aready have an informal guideline based on this forum....
> 5 port engines
> non-modified engines (cranks)
> we mentioned off-road engines cause they tend to be cheaper
> Turbo plugs allowed
> Street Price less than $300...

This keeps it simple

So far I've yet to hear a valid arguement, other than "TZ" arguement "that you'll be racing fewer guys directly by offering two classes" This is 100% true and falls in line with Jiml's comment about more guys racing stock versus modified in electric. We have no solution for, but the alternative of not doing something to help lower the cost is even worse

Our goal is to reduce the overall cost of racing...if a SPEC engine for under $300 do not help, nothing will!!!!

And, to comment that MAX power has a modified engine for $500 undermines everthing we are trying to do here....What's the price for a non-modifed, I'll go buy one from Bruckner Hobbies tonight, if it meets the guidelines
Old 09-01-2005, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sohlman
It sounds a lot like F3000, not F1. F1 loses popularity, then it gains it back, and then back down again. Most sports do it. A spec class sounds interesting, but that will just cannibalize from the open class...two smaller classes.?.?.? You may gain some new racers...who intern have left other classes. Viscious circle, huh?
Its all a visicous circle...we want everyone racing nitro....come to noisy side...
Old 09-01-2005, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sohlman
I think I read somewhere that Carl wants to run for VP of ROAR.?.?.?
Don't start....Chris Raffealli is the better man for the job.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

I have an ideal
Roll call for 1/8TH scale in your area
South Cali at a club race we get two heats which equates to 20 drivers
At a major local race we get around 30 to 40 guys.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:06 PM
Tech Master

please reply with guesstamation of your are.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

we are hit / miss....this past weekend at the On-Raod super Regionals there was almost 60 drivers for 1/8th...

on average I would say around 30-45 depends on the weather forcast
Old 09-01-2005, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

Default RAMS

The RAMS get:

20 Sportsman 1/8th
30 Open 1/8th
10 1/10th Outlaw

Typical club Race - we get many more in the beginning of the year.

Our membership is:
123 Members

36 Sportsman
55 1/8th Open
32 Outlaw 1/10th

Our club is consistent in size - for ten years with some up and downs. Smallest size was '97-'98

Our membership: Gained an equal number of members to Balance out the number of lost racers.

Our sportsman class has drawn in many "new" racers. We will continue to grow. We reviewed multiple options to grow our 1/8th scale: Our first approach was the Sportsman Class. Limited cost and the driver selects, at the beginning of the year, which class he/she feels most comfortable in. We have no cost restrictions in Sportsman. The Sportsman Points winner, for the year, must bump, the following year, into the open class.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:35 PM
Tech Master

Default Regionals

The Regionals - 1/8th and Outlaw

57 - 1/8th
14 - outlaw.

71 total
Old 09-01-2005, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

Thanks Rich
Thanks Carl
I am suprised all the talking about what should and should'nt be done for this 1/8TH scale class and only two people replied.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:15 PM
Tech Master

Default Interested Parties

Give it some time. I'm sure there will be others.

A question to those who are following this thread: How many of you started in 1/8th? Most racers, I know, started in different scales and grew into 1/8th.

What I see now, unlike earlier periods, less alternate racing forms. I started in 1/10th off-road electric. Huge: One National had 650 entries.

My point - I think we are missing a major issue: "other" scales/classes to draw in drivers. The Hobbytown races look like they may attract racers. I, personally, feel for the growth of our hobby, we should focus on the avenues that will spawn future RC racers - period - gas/electric - whatever.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:41 PM
Tech Regular

Very well said Rich.

Carl, I know Mike S proposed offroad engines also as you mentioned. I look forward to what you guys come up.

All the best guys,

John
Old 09-01-2005, 03:47 PM
Suspended

i first started in RC with electric touring car from tamiya when i was 6 then upgraded to nitro car G.v done up with 2speed and os12cv-x when i was 13 etc.., and later went into the 235mm class with a Neo Attack mx2 when i was 15 and during that time raced electric Team Losi XXTCR Graphite Plus Truck and now im thinking of going into 1/8th on road with a Mugen MRX3 or a 1/8th off road buggy from CasterRacing and now im 18 and loving the hobby
Old 09-01-2005, 03:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jrabbito
Very well said Rich.

Carl, I know Mike S proposed offroad engines also as you mentioned. I look forward to what you guys come up.

All the best guys,

John
You're the man John.........
Old 09-01-2005, 04:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rinkeberg
i first started in RC with electric touring car from tamiya when i was 6 then upgraded to nitro car G.v done up with 2speed and os12cv-x when i was 13 etc.., and later went into the 235mm class with a Neo Attack mx2 when i was 15 and during that time raced electric Team Losi XXTCR Graphite Plus Truck and now im thinking of going into 1/8th on road with a Mugen MRX3 or a 1/8th off road buggy from CasterRacing and now im 18 and loving the hobby
Nice to here cool stories like this.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rich Browne
Give it some time. I'm sure there will be others.

A question to those who are following this thread: How many of you started in 1/8th? Most racers, I know, started in different scales and grew into 1/8th.

What I see now, unlike earlier periods, less alternate racing forms. I started in 1/10th off-road electric. Huge: One National had 650 entries.

My point - I think we are missing a major issue: "other" scales/classes to draw in drivers. The Hobbytown races look like they may attract racers. I, personally, feel for the growth of our hobby, we should focus on the avenues that will spawn future RC racers - period - gas/electric - whatever.
Rick Wilson (this may not be the place to discuss this and I understand): In the ROAR membership - what class is showing growth?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.