Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 08:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think I have one, if you don't want to wait on Dion. Will have to check.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I think I have one, if you don't want to wait on Dion. Will have to check.
let me know if you do
Old 06-20-2011, 06:58 AM
Tech Champion

how did everyones VTA racing go this weekend?...post up your race reports and pics if you have them...let us know whats happenning at your track..cya
Old 06-20-2011, 10:00 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

I am planning on running VTA for the first time with an Xray 008. What gearing to you recommend? Thanks.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
how did everyones VTA racing go this weekend?...post up your race reports and pics if you have them...let us know whats happenning at your track..cya
Some really cool guys from nashville came down to race with us and i had some of the most fun I have ever had racing rc. Each qaul i only got forth and finished 4th but was too much fun to stress about it.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up HobbyPLEX Omaha Trans Am Racing!!

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
This past Wednesday we ran a 2.4 Hour Trans Am Enduro and it was a blast!!!
2.4 Hour Trans Am Enduro Results

We are running a 4 Hour Trans Am Enduro on July 9th, you can see all our results here.

Tim Ski
Old 06-20-2011, 04:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

The race for second is pretty impressive given that it was so close after 576 laps.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:05 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Flying Monkey
Some really cool guys from nashville came down to race with us and i had some of the most fun I have ever had racing rc. Each qaul i only got forth and finished 4th but was too much fun to stress about it.
To add to what Monkey said, Thank you guys for coming down. You made the race day. I guess you know that. I hope that we can get a bigger turn out in the future and offer you guys more competition.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
I am planning on running VTA for the first time with an Xray 008. What gearing to you recommend? Thanks.
With a 25.5 I'd aim between a 3.75-3.80 FDR and temp it to make sure that gear ratio isn't getting anything too warm. Nice car by the way. A number of guys and one gal run that chassis in VTA locally and they all handle really well.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MD
On the track you'll likely be running on, you might be better off running closer to 4:1 FDR for starters assuming your car is up to the weight spec.

I'm having a hard time adjusting to these super low FDRs. The first day racing at Leisure Hours this season (big track, long straight), I ran a 4.12:1 FDR. I think some of the less experienced VTA racers thought I was cheating because I was passing guys exiting the turns like they were standing still. Some of them were running as low as 3.6:1 FDR. By the time they got up to speed on the straight away, I was so far ahead that they couldn't make up the ground. The shorter gear ratio is far more forgiving after a wreck as well. The tall gearing is "no mistakes allowed."

Two weeks later, a couple more fast guys showed up. I geared 3.96:1 to keep up. I had the fastest lap but couldn't do it consistently and wound up with a second place finish. But the car felt absolutely flat out of the turns and trying to get going on that uphill straight away. I guess its just a matter of personal preference, but I don't like my car when it is geared anything below 4:1 FDR.

Last edited by beemerfan; 06-21-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:39 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

beemerfan- Thanks.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Tech Champion

I didnt ask the question but I like the sound of that. Our straight is 103ft. Doest that make a differrence?
Old 06-21-2011, 02:02 PM
Tech Master

The track I was racing on has a 220 ft. straight away that had the last 50 ft or so cut down and turning into a gradual sweeper. It is exactly the type of track where a very low (3.6:1 or so) gear ratio should work to your advantage. But I've been able to stay in front of most of the field running between 3:96 - 4:12. On shorter parking lot tracks with straights around 100 ft., I do very well between 4:12 - 4:20 which is expected on a shorter track with more turns. That's why I just don't get it when guys come on here talking about their 3.8 gear ratios. If you think about it, most passing is done while exiting a corner. Very little ever happens in the straight away. Full scale road coarse racers tend to care less about top end than they do mid range power. It's the same situation. Gearing a car at 3.6:1 is like driving around in 5th gear all the time. Any sport bike riders out there? When is the last time you took a corner in 5th or 6th gear? You hear your engine knock and struggle for more power, so you down shift. With our single speed transmissions, we have to make a choice. Brushless motors provide a ton of torque throughout the RPM range, but the effects of gearing too tall are still there.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beemerfan
The track I was racing on has a 220 ft. straight away that had the last 50 ft or so cut down and turning into a gradual sweeper. It is exactly the type of track where a very low (3.6:1 or so) gear ratio should work to your advantage. But I've been able to stay in front of most of the field running between 3:96 - 4:12. On shorter parking lot tracks with straights around 100 ft., I do very well between 4:12 - 4:20 which is expected on a shorter track with more turns. That's why I just don't get it when guys come on here talking about their 3.8 gear ratios. If you think about it, most passing is done while exiting a corner. Very little ever happens in the straight away. Full scale road coarse racers tend to care less about top end than they do mid range power. It's the same situation. Gearing a car at 3.6:1 is like driving around in 5th gear all the time. Any sport bike riders out there? When is the last time you took a corner in 5th or 6th gear? You hear your engine knock and struggle for more power, so you down shift. With our single speed transmissions, we have to make a choice. Brushless motors provide a ton of torque throughout the RPM range, but the effects of gearing too tall are still there.
If you have a car that maintains excellent corner speed then the 3.8-4.0 FDR range along with the right amount of motor timing works very well. At least over the winter on the shorter carpet tracks, I had great success with this range of operation.

Jimmy (Hurricane Series 2010 USVTA Champ).
Old 06-21-2011, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by g12314
If you have a car that maintains excellent corner speed then the 3.8-4.0 FDR range along with the right amount of motor timing works very well. At least over the winter on the shorter carpet tracks, I had great success with this range of operation.

Jimmy (Hurricane Series 2010 USVTA Champ).
That might be what I'm missing. I don't have as much time to spend on my suspension as I'd like. I may be scrubbing too much speed in the corners and need more power coming out to make up for it. My setup is very forgiving but I guess if I want a shot at finishing on top when I'm with the faster crowd, I'll just have to keep working on it. I think a lot of beginning and intermediate drivers are mislead though by wanting to run the same gear ratios as the "fast guys." The car has to handle perfectly and driving skills need to be top notch to keep up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.