Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo, Indoor Tracks, & "That Guy"

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 05:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Cain
It will not surprise me that the mamba will be legal for next year. I think I heard that the actual ESC is legal, its just the motors they use aren't but other types that would work with it are?
The motor is what gets approved from what I have read.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Craps
Both types were used and I don't know why all you guys are hung up on paying almost twice as much for a li-po in a plastic box!!! What a joke!!!
Both you and I know there is more of a difference than a plastic box. There is a world of differences in the cells themselves. I'll take one quality pack over two unknowns any day with lipos happily.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by kuzo
Both you and I know there is more of a difference than a plastic box. There is a world of differences in the cells themselves. I'll take one quality pack over two unknowns any day with lipos happily.
I perfer the MaxAmps and Thunder Power packs myself. I can get 8000 mahs cheaper than the battery box with 4800 mahs.

I was trying to help a racer get the voltage back up on a Orion li-po that had been overdischarged on my Astro Flight 109 charger and it started to swell pushing the box apart...junk. The battery in the box will not save it from the biggest problem of overdischarging that an 8000 mah battery is alot more forgiving to overdischarging than 4800 mahs...common sense!!!

The battery in the box is something to make everybody feel safer from all the internet gossip BS and just plain false hype about li-pos that has scared everybody that has never used them for any length of time to a very high paranoia that is totally uncalled for! The battery in the box from a recognized battery name in the industry is capitolizing on that fear by charging way to much to just put a battery in a plastic box....no thank you!!!

The only known battery problem during the Nats was Maifield overdischarged a battery in a box during a qualifier and swelled it up when the guys with the 8000 mahs ones in shrink wrap had no problems!!!!

You guys keep wasting your money on plastic boxes for the batteries!!!
Old 07-25-2007, 06:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

And you are welcome to believe that. Me? I'll consider maxamps just as soon as I know who makes the cells they use. That and there is at least one very recent case of a maxamps 6000(?) pack going up in flames. I don't care what caused it, it happened and it's not acceptable when so many are trying to gain acceptance for lipo. Wouldn't have happened with Kokam's cells would it? And cry me a river - irresponsible over discharging and attempted recharging? The pack is crap because it only swelled? Thank god it wasn't a cheap pack - talk about yet another possible anti-lipo episode...
Old 07-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Tech Legend

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 07-25-2007 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:01 PM
Tech Legend

Maybe Dawn Sandchez, VP of ROAR will answer this one, but my understanding it will be legalized in certain classes next year and the Li-po Brushless Truck Class will be a regular class next year due to the popularity at the Nats.
Great news , but I`ll wait & see if they do the correct thing for as I`m not really interested in endurance racing.

I like racing the mod class`s . That is what I race on the club level & if I wish to compete in a Roar event, that the class I`ll prepare for ...

Will just have to pass on Roar events until I can race with my Li-Po...
Old 07-25-2007, 07:06 PM
Tech Master

A 20 minute race is not an endurance race it just allows the cream to rise to the top unlike a 5 minute race with the lucky first lap usually wins!!!

I even perfer 10 minute qualifiers too!!!!

The masses in RC want long runtime and longer races!!! You want electric to come back, make the races longer and make it almost maintence free!!!
Old 07-25-2007, 07:08 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Craps, you tried to recharge a pack that you know was over-discharged and continued until it swelled? You are experienced with LiPo, you know better than that... (imagine old lady waving finger). Be careful, if that had sparked off you would have become "that guy".

FWIW, while the Orion's are expensive it is because the Kokam cells are more expensive than the cheaper generics that are used in Max-Amps and others. Thunder Power are also Kokams and more expensive despite not having plastic cases. The plastic case is not as important in off road where the whole car protects the battery but in TC where the battery is much more exposed the plastic case is critical for safety, one hard crash against a lipo that is only shrink wrapped and the internals can short and you will not have the luxury of seeing it swell and taking it off the charger. You would be lucky to save the car. The plastic case is also designed to split to allow the cells to swell if they are overcharged. We have that plastic cased, over priced pack to thank at least in part for Lipo's current safety record. We might still be a lot further from approval if not for that.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:15 PM
Tech Legend

A 20 minute race is not an endurance race it just allows the cream to rise to the top unlike a 5 minute race with the lucky first lap usually wins!!!

The masses in RC want long runtime and longer races!!! You want electric to come back, make the races longer and make it almost maintence free!!!

I`m sure your 20 minute race is real fun , but for now the top dog is still mod ..

Thats the class I` m aiming for ...

Not the 20 minute one ....
Old 07-25-2007, 07:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Well said. I prefer the 10 minute races. The 20 minute mains will insure the manufacturers more battery sales.
5 and 10 minutes the batteries will last longer. Better over all. The speedos are not quite ready for the 20's yet I don't think.
People cuss about the speedos going bad and forget they just ran 20 minutes on an esc designed primarily for 5 minute races.
We are at the tip of the ice burg. I've done some testing and for now I believe the 10's are the best for now. Oh how the time flies next the RC planes will be testing solar power. I mean I really think if you were to look at all the types of lipos they use its obvious they paved the way. And you just don't hear a whole lot of bad about theres. Which battery you use really isn't the deal, some will last some wont, yet they all will perform. Its the user that will count.

Last edited by UN4RACING; 07-25-2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Davidka
Craps, you tried to recharge a pack that you know was over-discharged and continued until it swelled? You are experienced with LiPo, you know better than that... (imagine old lady waving finger). Be careful, if that had sparked off you would have become "that guy".

FWIW, while the Orion's are expensive it is because the Kokam cells are more expensive than the cheaper generics that are used in Max-Amps and others. Thunder Power are also Kokams and more expensive despite not having plastic cases. The plastic case is not as important in off road where the whole car protects the battery but in TC where the battery is much more exposed the plastic case is critical for safety, one hard crash against a lipo that is only shrink wrapped and the internals can short and you will not have the luxury of seeing it swell and taking it off the charger. You would be lucky to save the car. The plastic case is also designed to split to allow the cells to swell if they are overcharged. We have that plastic cased, over priced pack to thank at least in part for Lipo's current safety record. We might still be a lot further from approval if not for that.
My rookie friend, I have saved a few packs that went down to around 5.0 volts and brought them up real slow to be used again. This one was in the high 4 volt range and I tried and it swelled. The Battery was junk and I don't know what Orion does, but Thunder Power and Max Amps stand behind they're batteries depending on the age, I have seen TP fully replace one around 3 months old to sending in a 2 year old one just for inspection they allow half off for a brand new one. MaxAmps has a warranty, but have not had to put it to the test yet since I have not a problem with them.

Thunder Power is a great company, it's just they are an airplane battery company where MaxAmps works with racers that I like right now. I don't care where MaxAmps cells come from as long as they keep performing like they do, I have no problem with them.

We have around 50 li-po truck racers here in the Carolinas using either the MaxAmps or the Thunder Power with some of the TPs close to 3 years old still racing. There is guys who use the Orion's in Stock truck in the shorter races and I honestly can't tell you there is a difference except with an 8000 mah will have almost twice the runtime as a 4800 mah battery in a box for little less cost....this is not rocket science!
Old 07-25-2007, 08:13 PM
Tech Lord

Rookie? How do I lose that status? Breaking more stuff? I've been racing on and off since 1985. I have not seen a single lipo issue in person but we are still not taking advantage of the run time at our tracks yet, we're still running 5-7 minute races because there are still several guys running brushes (read: sponsored).

A warranty that covers operator error is known in the service industry as a "goodwill retention policy".
Old 07-25-2007, 08:24 PM
Tech Master

No disrespect David, but I have been RACING with li-pos for almost 4 years in off-road from 1/10th scale 2wd stadium trucks (my favorite) to a XXX-4 to a Mugen MBXR4 Electric 1/8th scale buggy with a 6S 8000 mah li-po pack using a Schulze 40.160 ESC that is the size of your hand with a C50-10XL Hacker motor. It eat diffs up every run when I got it to quit eatting pinion gears that was over 3 years ago when I quit fooling with it. It was overkill big time!!!!
Old 07-25-2007, 08:37 PM
Tech Lord

I know you have alot of experience with Lipo, that's why I gave you a hard time for trying to save a trashed pack. All in good fun. We have a guy that runs a Lipo 1/8 buggy against the rest of us with nitro power. It's funny when corner marshalls pick up the car and tell him it's flamed out.