Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fuel Filter Cooler Pressure Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 09:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Fuel coolers work in the most extreme cases. It removes the heat from the gas going into the tank. The Prupose of this is to keep the heat out of the fuel. If too much heat is added to the fuel, the characteristics (properties) of the fuel change. This happens because the heat in fuel will cause it to evaporate. IE methanol and nitromethane. If this occurs your essentually running a fuel with less of a percentage, therefor you need to ritchen your settings to maintain equal power causing you to use more fuel. That is why it helped the novarossi onroad guys in the hot weather to get a full 5 minutes. That worked for onroad also because those guys are traveling at a very high rate of speed. that means there was more than likely alot of air moving across that cooler which will reject more heat being benificial.
I put mine on cause it was gold....and thats the only reason. for Offroad it will have very little to no effect, unless you are the best of the best and that motor is tuned perfectly.
For me My cars come off the track and my first thought is wow that motor had a ton of power. then my pit guy shows me the temp gun at 300 eeeek!!!!

take what you will from it
Old 03-20-2013, 10:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I think it's a scheme by novarossi to sell a product. Do ya really think they will say it did nothing? That marketing guy would be gone! It's not like hot air is consistently moving into the tank. It's taking the place of the fuel removed. Blow on a cold drink. Do ya think you changed the temp of it much? Now, the air coming from the exhaust is not "flowing", thus it's a scam! It doesn't take a genius to figure that out. It's common sense...

Your best bet is to keep the inlet line away from the exhaust. Another thing to think about. Heat makes things do what? Expand. There's not enough heat put in the tanks to cause evaporation... Think about it....
Old 03-21-2013, 12:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Just keep your fuel in the fridge, then try a timed run and see the difference.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:15 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by jwm2
I've seen a few of these threads pop up year after year and the consensus is the same, some claim they work, most claim they don't work but both will admit that someone else got their money. Like I said, they are built to take your money.
Why? Most racers already buy a pressure chamber, even some cars do come standard with it, why not getting a chamber with cooling?
Beside that, get a piece of aluminium or copper tube, bend it into a coil and you have a 2 dollar gascooler.

And if you have the tools or know someone with the tools, make your own:

Or a more chalanging tank cap:

Old 03-21-2013, 03:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sschultz
I think it's a scheme by novarossi to sell a product. Do ya really think they will say it did nothing? That marketing guy would be gone! It's not like hot air is consistently moving into the tank. It's taking the place of the fuel removed. Blow on a cold drink. Do ya think you changed the temp of it much? Now, the air coming from the exhaust is not "flowing", thus it's a scam! It doesn't take a genius to figure that out. It's common sense...

Your best bet is to keep the inlet line away from the exhaust. Another thing to think about. Heat makes things do what? Expand. There's not enough heat put in the tanks to cause evaporation... Think about it....
Your never going to convince the guys that have already spent money or time on this thing. I said the exact same thing in the last "cooler" thread roaming in here and you are spot on!
Old 03-21-2013, 05:02 AM
Tech Lord

As mentioned in other topics I did not notice a thing of the runtime but probably I do not search the limit that tight but dit notice a better consistent tuning so the theory of finding a better limt with a lower consumption is there.

The datalogger on the heli in the link I showed did show a lower and more consistent temperature with a cooler of the fuel and also my telemetry did show a temperature of 40 degrees in the tank without a cooler.

Also take a look to some specs of oil. between 30 and 40 C there is already a difference in the viscocity.

You can tell what you want but the numbers and a lot of experiences do not lie. But yes, it is adding weight and longer fuellines, as if you buggy drivers do use short lines...
Old 03-21-2013, 05:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am not saying this would work but if pipe pressure were used to run a pump to pressurize the tank with ambient temp air, I'm picturing a fan in the pipe to mechanically drive an air pump mounted where the pressure fitting is typically found, it would at least eliminate the concern associated with introducing hot air into the tank. For that matter, if it works at all, there might also be enough pressure to drive a small fan on the carb intake. I probably have not thought this through enough but if anyone could figure this out and actually build it well, it will be The Philly Jynx.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlueStreakOne
I am not saying this would work but if pipe pressure were used to run a pump to pressurize the tank with ambient temp air, I'm picturing a fan in the pipe to mechanically drive an air pump mounted where the pressure fitting is typically found, it would at least eliminate the concern associated with introducing hot air into the tank. For that matter, if it works at all, there might also be enough pressure to drive a small fan on the carb intake. I probably have not thought this through enough but if anyone could figure this out and actually build it well, it will be The Philly Jynx.
I think that would kill your bottom end performance, since if the exhaust is turning a fan it would restrict your exhaust flow, once it started turning it wouldn't be bad but the initial spool up would suck. If you want something like that just buy that goofy supercharger thing you see on eBay from rb innovations, its supposed to force air down the carb and has a pressure fitting to run a line to the tank.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for all your input I've decided to go with just a fuel filter seems like its the more sensible option