Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electric as fast as nitro?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 12:53 PM
Tech Adept

Electric as fast as nitro?

Is electric as fast as nitro? Why choose electric if it is slower? Not criticising, just wondered what the benefits are of electric over nitro.

Perhaps I'm just a speed freak & want the fastest r/c car on the road.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:20 PM
Tech Addict

Man, I've noticed a trend, who ever is new to R/C always want the fastest car ect... If your new to R/C I recommend you try a electric car over nitro. I my self have never owned one. Why? THey're dirty, the nitro engines require lots of matienece, they break. Why choose electric? Different race class (mod or stock). Also, you have an option with electric whether if you want to choose a slow or fast motor. Hope this helps.. If your new I recommend you go with a TC3.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

There is no answer to this question. Electrics are faster off the line and tend to accelerate faster. Nitros hit second gear and can be faster than electrics. At our local track the lap times between mod electric and nitro are almost the same. Usually the electrics end up with the best laps of the night, but not always. The big benefit of electric... you can run them year round!!
Old 07-26-2005, 01:24 PM
Tech Adept

speed shouldnt matter.... a brushless motor or a low turn motor should get u going faster than u want... if u want speed, get one of those drag cars... they can hit 100 mph+ with a low turn motor.

I personally drift so I dont care about speed
Old 07-26-2005, 01:35 PM
Tech Adept

Default Lol.....yep, speed.

I am a relative newbie. I used to building r/c gliders but got into nitro cars.

Lol......speeeeeed. I know I will grow out of it when I start to respect the hobby & maybe start racing, but for now I am messing around with trying to get a really fast 1/10th to thrash around our local car park.

I am toying with the idea of electric because they have a whole asthetic nature & respectfull following of there own & they are clean.

Thanks for your comments guys.

God bless ya'
Old 07-26-2005, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Welll I can tell you at my local tracks 2 of them. The Stk. TC's are only about 2 seconds off of the nitro in a five min race. Mod. is almost 6 seconds faster than nitro. I run Stk mainly and love to go out when the nitro guys are out there and pass them at will... They get upset! LOL

At one of the tracks we run on has like two straights that are around 75-100ft long. and the lap times are in the 16 sec. range so its not a small track. I think most ppl just like the sound of nitro, it draws them to it.

I myself love to hear the whine of a 6single at the end of a staright!

The race this Sun.

stk winner 18laps 5:02 fastest single lap 16.27
mod. winner 19laps 5:05 15.43
gas winner 18laps 5:03 16.46
Old 07-26-2005, 04:47 PM
Tech Master

newbs are all about having the fastest "gas" car. when i was new, the sound of " gas car" attracted me, sheez u cant find them at radio shack. as i grew, i ditch nitro to electric. a lot better, i can tune the car better and drive better.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:58 PM
Tech Master

If you're going to race, electric cars will always do better in the infield because of the instant response to accelerate. Nitro cars are slower in the infield since the clutch isn't an instant response. That is why people who drift their cars prefer electric over nitro.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think when you are starting out the lower gas classes are cheaper to get into as opposed to the electric classes. That is why more newbs start out withgas over electric. For example at my local track youcan race in a pull start class with a ready to run package costing $600au at the shop next to the track. There are guys that have proven these cars to be capable of winning in that class without hopups or mods. To race electric competetively a chassis alone would cost $550au. Then you have the cost of radios batteries motors speedies etc.
However inthe long run i think running electric becomes a lot cheaper as you move up through the ranks. I have raced in both the pull start and pro tourer gas classes and now race electric. For me the electric car is the least hassle. I just turn up peak my batteries before each race and only fix my car if it breaks at the track. All other maintenance is done at home and i don't have to worry about tuning the engine everytime i race.

Terry
Old 07-26-2005, 06:53 PM
Tech Adept

The guys made some good points here for the electrics. Now, if this post was over in the Nitro area... The boys over there will make just as good points.

This will always be an endless arguing point in the hobby. The answer is resolved by flipping a coin. Heads or tales, but, when tossed the dammed coin acts as if it has a mind of its own, missing the hand that is supposed to catch it, hits the floor, bounces, rolls out the door and into the storm drain!

For me, its electric! In order to make an electric car consistantly go fast, you face a bigger challenge than bolting on horsepower.

Last edited by Hick; 07-26-2005 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:46 PM
Tech Master

Oh Dear Oh my....

Its another edition of electric vs nitro topic...

While I basically a electric driver.Its a totally different class to start with. In terms of speed,electric is surely faster.The fastest RC car to date is an electric car.Just use a Pan car chassis,slap on a brushless and load it with as much cells the car can fit.And just run it!!!

But if you want speed...Get a 1/8 on road car....
Old 07-26-2005, 09:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

i'm pretty sure the world record holder for speed with an r/c car was electric...
Old 07-26-2005, 09:40 PM
Tech Addict

Yes, i'm sure, I remember there was an electric car not an tc but, some kind of r/c electric vehicle that just spun around. Supposedly it went up to 200mph it was connected to a string. not sure if i'm correct.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:34 PM
Tech Adept

Default 200mph, yep thats right.

Yes, the fastest recorded r/c car was indeed clocked at 200mph! It was teatherd to a post & slowley spun round & round, under its own power of course & eventually clocked 200mph. I saw the video clip, you couldn't see the car, it was just a blur.

Click http://www.ssrcracing.com/rc-videos.html and scroll down to the last video clip!

And yes, it was a gas powered & not electric.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:40 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by vi3tishduy
Yes, i'm sure, I remember there was an electric car not an tc but, some kind of r/c electric vehicle that just spun around. Supposedly it went up to 200mph it was connected to a string. not sure if i'm correct.
Wrong ! .....That was a gas powered car ! ....there's no mistaking the "hum" of the nitro engine "going onto the pipe" !
I believe they're called tethered slot cars.

I do both EP and GP and feel it is pointless to go into a debate on which is faster. they both have their pros and cons. but I think pple who blindly state that EP are the fastest should try their hands on 1/8 on-road first !

PEACE ! ......

Originally Posted by silacomalley
Yes, the fastest recorded r/c car was indeed clocked at 200mph! It was teatherd to a post & slowley spun round & round, under its own power of course & eventually clocked 200mph. I saw the video clip, you couldn't see the car, it was just a blur.

Click http://www.ssrcracing.com/rc-videos.html and scroll down to the last video clip!

And yes, it was a gas powered & not electric.
btw.... that's not an "R/C" car ! Not in the sense that we know !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.