Ask Aaron Waldron

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Aaron Waldron

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

offroadracer - What Casper said! I don't have a trick wheel balancer or anything.

Bubonic - I'm not sure you'll see companies race to make tires for Losi's wheels, haha. You can mount Pro-Line tires without cutting them, but they fit a bit better if you do. Also, I think Panther makes a tire (maybe the Python? I have no idea) that fits without being cut as well.

The Losi truck needs a 26mm offset, like the Jammin' CRT. Otherwise, you can use axle spacers for the Mugen truck.

Bobby - That's an awesome shot, thanks!

I saw him yesterday, but I totally forgot to ask, haha. I'll send him a message.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
Eric. What are you using to attach the wheel to the balancer shaft? That hole is pretty big in an 8th scale tire. The magnets are pretty strong on the top flight unit but I have not tried to figure out how to adapt the rim to the shaft.
I do like Lovell said. Use a spare hub and nut...
Old 06-23-2007, 07:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Offroadracer3
What is the best way to balance tire's? Can I make a jig at home. Were do I start. I read on the Proline package to use a prop balancer and some puddy. Do I make up some sort of arbor from an old axel?
I use a dubro prop balancer, along with a Mugen 17mm hex and a little fuel tubing... Works great... I use the Gmk supply sticky black stuff...

Old 06-23-2007, 09:30 AM
Tech Initiate

i have a balancer that i sell, check it out!

http://www.bluegrasshobbies.com/bg/c...roducts_id=472
Old 06-24-2007, 08:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Is there any other way to remove tires from the wheels with out ruining either, other then acid tone? I need to replace the foam inserts.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Aaron you know about the fuse in a M11 on the board near the charging jack? like is it soldered or is it plug type so i can change it myself. if soldered, due to size i would need someone else to do it. what do you think of letting a computer repair shop changing it. so it is a one day fix and not two to three weeks by sending it off to Global now. with the recent change im worried how long it would take. thanks for the help.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

Bobby - I'm not sure, I still use my favorite radio...the M8 .

If anyone opens the radio but Airtronics/Global, your warranty is void. With that said, you could probably get away with taking it to a computer repair shop and walking them through what you need done. I'm not sure they would understand the importance of your "toy" if you just dropped it off and left, but if you show them what you need done and that just want them to change a fuse, you might have better luck.

dido - It's a good thing this message board has so many helpful people, hopefully someone will throw out a method they have experience with..haha.

Even using acetone could ruin the foams, unless you used a very shallow jar and only enough acetone to soak the bead of the tire, but even that turn the foam to mush. I've heard of people baking the tires off the rims in an oven, but I don't know how to do it.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:42 AM
Tech Regular

well as it would figure the damn thing works today after repeatedly turning it on and off and after about 15 times it now works again. i found some posts on this issue in rctech. as it turns out you should not use the charging port to charge with. and that if you use a lipo, like i do, you definetely should not use it. and the charging jack and the fuse can both fail and cuase the radio to not come on. i'll post a pic of the fuse for you to see and after seeing it and knowing about the charging jack it will be off to Global. dang it.

the small red box is the fuse.
Attached Images  
Old 06-24-2007, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

Haha. Well at least that takes the guesswork out of it.

Sorry to hear about that, and good luck!
Old 06-24-2007, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Aaron- For 1/10 scale tire balancing could I just take the dogbone out of the rear hub and put in an old axle without the dogbone, make sure the tire is straight (90 deg) spin the tire and see which side is heavy? Throw some putty on the light side, put it back on and remove putty until the I have it balanced. Do you think this might work well enough? I might give this a try.

You can bake the tires off the rims. I have been doing this for years. I just turn on the oven at 325. put a piece of aluminum foil on the rack place tires on the foil, bake for about 15 minutes, turn over for about 5. Take them out with an oven mit. I let them cool unitl I can handle them (usuall just a few minutes) and press on the bead of the tire with a towel. It comes right off. It will smell up the kitchen a little so I do this late at night while the wife is sleeping. Tire, foam, and rims are all reuseable. The rims will have a small amount of dryed glue that I just use a Xacto knive or single edge razor and flake off the dried glue. I usually do this to replace foams or on old tires to reuse the rims. Hope this helps.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

Aaron whats the difference between running your bump steer down and your bump steer up.What type of track for which?

I am also having a problem.I`m getting more steering throw to the right side than I am to the left.Turnbuckles are threaded evenly and when I attach my servo hor to the servo the wheels where straight.I have one of the first release`s of the 8ight and somebody told me it could be my uprights.

Thank`s in advance

Yes the baking tip works great.Depending on how long the tires have been glued for you might have to leave them in longer.Never tire to do a set of new premounts there a painI ended up baking them for a hour.15 minutes at a time
Old 06-25-2007, 12:00 AM
Tech Elite

Doug T - I can't see why that wouldn't work to balance tires. Maybe not as easy as a purpose-made jig, but just as effective.

rossoh - Down is stock. I think running them in the up position is supposed to make the car feel more aggressive. I've never tried running them up, my car has felt very good on many different kinds of tracks.

I had heard of people grinding on the caster blocks to get more throw to one side but I haven't done it.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

rossoh10 - make sure the screw that goes on the servo horn is not hitting the servo case when you turn left. I'm using a Dynamite servo horn with a Futaba 9450 and I had to grind a little bit off the case to get full throw to the left out of the steering block.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

Thank`s guys
Old 06-25-2007, 07:58 AM
Tech Regular

Default Shocks

Thanks for all the great feedback about tire balancing!

Here is my next question. I would like to go down to 4 shocks instead of 8 on my t-maxx. Is there a good, or big enough shock on the market to be able to just run 4 shocks. Lets just say I wanted to run 4 kyosho shocks. Would this work?
Attached Thumbnails Ask Aaron Waldron-0620072201%5B1%5D.jpg   Ask Aaron Waldron-0620072201b%5B1%5D.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.