• 2 Post By gigaplex

Help picking first on road race chassis

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 07:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Help picking first on road race chassis

Hi all
I'm an avid off road carpet racer, thinking in trying on road for the first time. The place I race at has a GT Stock class, that seems to allow tt01 or tt02 chassis families only.

Would i be better off going with a tt02rr right off the gate, or should I get the plain tt02 and upgrade from there? Seems like they only allow brushed in that class, so the tt02 is tempting and super cheap. I have spare electronics from off road.

Thanks for any input, sorry if this is a question you guys get all the time, just have no clue about on road

by the way, can I use my shorty 2s lipos on the tt02? They seem to have no restriction at the track, just wondering if it fits
Old 02-05-2020, 07:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

U would be best getting the TT02rr if u buy the hop ups later u will spend alot more money that way then just getting them right away with the RR. The shorty will work in the RR.
rippen likes this.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:42 PM
Tech Addict

Ask the track you plan to race at what the specific rules are before buying.

I run at a place where they run a class that is similar but it's box stock plus bearings. No r modules or anything like that, kit has to come with a body. Super cheap, tough and fun. All comes down to driver cus you can't modify to win. I love driving it, 1973 911 RSR, looks awesome on the track even if it's slow.

After you confirm rules at your track, if they will let you get the best version possible. If it's a box stock class, you will still have a hoot!
jgil089 likes this.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:05 AM
Tech Regular

I was at the track taking a look on the rules yesterday, from what I can remember, they allow any Tamiya hopups for the TT01 and TT02 chassis. That's why they recommended getting the TT-02RR, as it comes with better parts. But learning that they don't allow brushless (only kit motor or the RS 540 torque tuned), I'm leaning towards the plain TT-02 and upgrade as I go, if I do get into to it. I would have to invest on a body and all electronics on the TT-02RR, almost twice the price.

Does the ESC on the TT02 work with a 2s shorty?

Also another class they run is the M chassis TCS - on that one 21.5 is allowed. But at this point I'm just looking to try on road and see if I get hooked as much as I am into off road.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:46 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by m3rcfh
I was at the track taking a look on the rules yesterday, from what I can remember, they allow any Tamiya hopups for the TT01 and TT02 chassis. That's why they recommended getting the TT-02RR, as it comes with better parts. But learning that they don't allow brushless (only kit motor or the RS 540 torque tuned), I'm leaning towards the plain TT-02 and upgrade as I go, if I do get into to it. I would have to invest on a body and all electronics on the TT-02RR, almost twice the price.

Does the ESC on the TT02 work with a 2s shorty?

Also another class they run is the M chassis TCS - on that one 21.5 is allowed. But at this point I'm just looking to try on road and see if I get hooked as much as I am into off road.
The kit ESC will work with 2s shorty no problem. For the cost just to try it, base kit would be fine. At least it comes with ESC, motor and body. The only big upgrade you will want are decent shocks. TRF are great, but pricey. Durability wise the cars are tough but a better steering rack would be good, metal motor mount for the heat and CVD dives instead of kit dog bones. Have fun, they have some killer kit bodies too, Audi rally car, 911 RSR, STI , Ferrari, etc.
r_lud likes this.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Pardon me for asking - is the GT stock class that runs TT0x's the only onroad class you could run there? Because "unlimited" TT0x's class is looking like the worst possible way to get started racing onroad if you ask me.

Having said that if you're hung on TT0x's, and you're new to onroad, I would recommend a stock TT0x then buy bearings, alloy motor mount, possibly (plastic!) shocks if you want, and that's pretty much it. At least it lets you get a feel for the "class" (ahem) and you'll already be 95% there in terms of performance vs fully. hop-uped (ahem).
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:47 AM
Tech Addict

Oh yeah, the kit motor is the torque tuned motor, so you are good to go.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

I have had both of the cars you mentioned and I also have the Tamiya MAN truck which is also based on the TT-01e chassis. The TT-02 Mustang I had was very nice, but I found that it had more slop than I expected and I was never able to get the car to track straight and I was always trimming. I ended up selling it and have built a TT-01e with the Mercedes 190e body. Box stock right now to be compliant with my club's TTGT rules but added the Gravity RC USGT tires as these are permitted. The nice thing with these kits is they include the excellent Tamiya bodies, decals, Torque Tuned brushed motors, pinion gear, TBLE-02s brushed & brushless ESC, tires and rims. The kits are very complete and Tamiya have excellent instructions. All you would need to complete is your transmitter, receiver, steering servo, battery and charger.

I decided to go with the TT-01 chassis for several reasons. The battery sits on the right side of the chassis and we race in a clockwise direction, which puts the battery on the inside of most of the large sweepers. The diff internals are metal versus the plastic bits in the TT-02 and are more durable. The downside with the TT-01 is the webbing in the battery tray area that limits you to lipo packs with a rounded profile, the TT-02 accepts rectangular packs as it has no webbing. Luckily, my club allows the webbing to be removed to fit a rectangular pack. Not hard to do with a Dremel.

Lonestar and JoeyE like this.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Lonestar
Pardon me for asking - is the GT stock class that runs TT0x's the only onroad class you could run there? Because "unlimited" TT0x's class is looking like the worst possible way to get started racing onroad if you ask me.

Having said that if you're hung on TT0x's, and you're new to onroad, I would recommend a stock TT0x then buy bearings, alloy motor mount, possibly (plastic!) shocks if you want, and that's pretty much it. At least it lets you get a feel for the "class" (ahem) and you'll already be 95% there in terms of performance vs fully. hop-uped (ahem).
I believe they only run 3 classes: M chassis, TT GT Spec and Euro Truck. They told me to start with the TT, but I have no idea what would be the best first step. Maybe I will show up on a race night and see what class has the most people racing
Lonestar and rippen like this.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by m3rcfh
I believe they only run 3 classes: M chassis, TT GT Spec and Euro Truck. They told me to start with the TT, but I have no idea what would be the best first step. Maybe I will show up on a race night and see what class has the most people racing
Of those 3 choices I'd personally go for M chassis, but definitely go watch a race there before deciding.
Lonestar and rippen like this.