Wiki Posts
Search

TC3 Assembly Tips, Factory Team Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 11:41 AM
Tech Regular

Default Punisher Pins

John - got the book, very informative and detailed.. great job

I installed the Lunsford Punisher Hinge Pins in my TC3, has anybody else had issues keeping them in? when i drive all four pins work close to 1/4 to 1/2 the way out halfway thru a pack. just curious if anybody has had this problem and if there is a remedy
Old 04-10-2003, 11:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

omalley-Thanks. I assume you are talking about the outer hinge pins. They are held in place by the setscrews which are a bit difficult to tighten properly. When they get snug, I push on the hinge pin with the small allen driver to see if it will move. If the hinge pin moves, reposition it and tighten a little more and try to move the pin. When it is difficult to move you are done. This process prevents you from over tightening the setscrew and stripping the plastic threads. If the hinge pins are bending too easy switch to the BRP polished steel hinge pins.

I would prefer Mike D's method for improving ride height in the front over shimming the rear shock tower up which might make the shock tower move in the crashes. Thanks for the tip. I used the same method on the front of the XXXS before the short front shocks came out for a slightly different reason. On the original XXXS car the shock ends would bottom on the shock bodies during uptravel if you set your ride height low.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 04-10-2003 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:58 AM
Tech Regular

John.. thanks, how about the front.. I dont have a set screw on the front set of pins.. (would be logical though)
Old 04-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Tech Elite

The front setscrews are on the bottom. Takes a #5 set screw.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:19 PM
Tech Regular

crap, forgot about those
Old 04-11-2003, 06:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Stripped setscrews...

Dubro at your LHS sells 4mm setscrews in packages of 4. Drill the stripped hole out with a hand drill, and appropriate sized bit in your caster block or rear hub... and replace the smaller setscrew with the 4 mm setscrew. I have yet to have a set strip since... and i have drilled all of my caster blocks... and rear hub carriers... both ASC and Losi. Also... adding a little drop of CA to the threads of a setscrew for a stripped hole, will get you going in a pinch.
- Dave
Old 04-20-2003, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Default Wild 8 Invitational

Here are some results of the Wild 8 Invitational at ReflexRC this weekend along with pictures of the top two TC3's in the triple mod A-mains.

Barry Baker 1 st, Christian Tabush, 2cnd, Kyle Skidmore 3rd. Barry was overall TQ with Christian TQ ing a couple of rounds of qualifying.

Here is a photo of Barry Baker’s TC3. I had a little chat with him after the races. One tip, he mentioned, is that he always removes the hot motor right after a race to minimize the effects of motor heat on the motor mounts. This was also mentioned previously in this thread by another racer.

A couple of notes from this shot. Lead wires are short. Front bumper is held down by friction fit body washers. A long body clip stiffens the front posts. Rear shock tower is being used on the front with the blue spring all the way out. Receiver is on the side. The power capacitor can be securely mounted low to the chassis. He has a front sway bar. Camber links are long.
Attached Thumbnails TC3 Assembly Tips, Factory Team Kit-barry-baker%5Cs-tc3-c-.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 08-24-2003 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-20-2003, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

Here is a slightly different view of Barry Baker's Car. It looks like the battery is moved over a bit toward the center, but you can still see part of the x in the center rib so its not moved over far.
Attached Thumbnails TC3 Assembly Tips, Factory Team Kit-barry-baker%5Cs-tc3-d-.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 04-20-2003 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-20-2003, 03:06 PM
Tech Elite

Here is a picture of Christian Tabush's TC3. The battery on this car is moved inwards quite a bit. Half of the X in the center brace is dremeled away. Note that on both of these cars the transponder has been moved onto the top of the servo to keep the left right balance good after moving the battery closer to the center. Some weight has been added to both cars near the right edge of the chassis. Christian is using the front shock tower on the front with the blue spring all the way out. He has a front sway bar.
Attached Thumbnails TC3 Assembly Tips, Factory Team Kit-christian-tabush%5Cs-tc3-c-.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 04-20-2003 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

To correct John...
Barry was overall TQ... He TQ'd the 1st and 2nd round, I TQ'd 3rd and 4th, but his combined time was faster than mine (he had a 26 lapper)
Old 04-21-2003, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

I took another look at the photos. It looks like Barry's car has Losi rear hubs. Inner camber link positions are upper front and back. I believe both Christian and Barry ran locked diffs in the front. I can't see any blue on Barry's front outdrives so I am not sure. Christian maybe you can fill us in on more details.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 04-21-2003 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:19 AM
Tech Regular

There is a video of one of the mains and some more pics of Barry's car here.
Old 04-21-2003, 04:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

do you guys know if barry ran the spool in that race, his car looked like it coming off the corners.

i put the irs spur mount on my car today and notice there was some movement between the key pin and the retaining e clip, so to take out some of this play i put a couple of thin stub axle washers. have any of you guys running these noticed this?
Old 04-21-2003, 08:04 PM
Tech Adept

Default setup?

john, thanks for such an informative page. its helped me tons, but i have a question on setup. i run on a medium size 40x90 outdoor bumpy and medium grip asphalt surface. we race at night here in kansas so the temp of the track is pretty chilly. we usually run TakeOff pre mouts 27 compound with paragon. everyone uses exactly what the bumpy track setup is in the manual. but the car doesnt seem to handle as well as you guys explain it to be able to handle. my car seems to be a little loose in the rear exiting the corner. it has good turn in but a slight push in the mid corner. also what gear ratio would you suggest for a 19turn? if you have any more questions about my setup or anything i'll try to explain them better thanks again for the page and i'll definatly keep reading...

~ZigZag
Old 04-21-2003, 09:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Barry ran 25 wt all around #2's, If I'm not wrong... The reason why his spool isn't blue is because he had his made by a guy at socal out of stainless steel... It was beautiful...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.