Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
What Adapter To Use For Charging Traxxas ID NiMH Battery? >

What Adapter To Use For Charging Traxxas ID NiMH Battery?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Adapter To Use For Charging Traxxas ID NiMH Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 11:58 AM
Tech Rookie

Default What Adapter To Use For Charging Traxxas ID NiMH Battery?

Greetings All,

No ones fault but my own, but a combination of lack of knowledge and LIFE caught up with me so what should have been a year of fun has not..

Anyways..

purchased this truck a year ago and hasn't been used once.. Traxxas Ford Raptor RTR

It came with this battery, NiMH iD Power Cell Battery (#2923X) (7-Cell Flat, Sub-C, 3000mAh)

And I purchased this charger, Venom Pro Duo 80W X2 Dual charger

The Venom Pro Duo came with a gang of adapters, HOWEVER none for this Traxxas iD battery and so the truck has sat for very close to a year now.

I NEED YOUR HELP PLEASE to get this running before another year goes by. The local hobby shops have been no real help, they just keep shoving Traxxas stuff down me throat. One shop even told me to take a LOSS on the Venom charger and just buy another new Traxxas $100+ charger instead... Another one tried to sell me a bunch of adapters, would have been 3 total to charge the Traxxas battery. Not only was like $40 for all 3 but it seemed NOT to safe to me!

1. Since I'm a rookie, would rather NOT cut and solder. So what exact adapter can I purchase to charge the NiMH Traxxas iD battery with my Venom dual charger?

2. What I should have done (before LIFE caught up with me) is just purchased LIPO's, what ones do you recommend for use with my charger and truck, 2S being the max I believe for my ESC. Is SMS still the way to go, would appreciate any links to what ones to get.

3. Trucks been sitting for a little under a year now.. Anythiing I should do on it since its been that long?

4. Anyone know if Airsoft battery tech is the same as RC i.e. can I also use my Venom Pro DUAL charger to charge my airsoft batteries?

really appreciate it yall!!

SUPER excited to get this going now that I have some free time this fall!

oNe

P.S.

Is the battery end considered the male end or the female end?

Old 08-26-2018, 01:27 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)
Arrow Try this...

There should be a FEMALE end on the battery. If you had a male end, the contacts would be exposed & it's likely to short out or discharge if something were to come into contact with it.
1. Easiest way would be to just use a MALE TRAXXAS PLUG & BULLET PLUG on the other end. Plug the bullets (RED & BLACK) to the (RED & BLACK) output channel (either one) on your charger. Then plug the MALE end into the FEMALE end on the battery & charge.
2.SMS is a wonderful battery company & there's plenty of other options as well. If you're not racing, just get something that you can afford & has a decent Mah & C rating.
3. Well, since it was never used, I just check to make sure the bolts, nuts, & screws are all nice & tight. Might check to see if the tires have a flat spot due to sitting for so long. In the future, just store with the wheels just above the ground to avoid flat spots.
4. A battery is a battery is a battery is a battery. Just check that you have the correct voltage & chemistry (LIFE, NIMH, NICD, LIPO, & so forth). Also a good rule of thumb is to charge at 1C when you are not too familiar with the battery. For instance, a 5000Mah battery would be charged at 5Amps. The battery will last longer, but may take longer to charge.
For LIPO batteries, I never exceed 2C (although some can charge at a higher rate). Meaning that the 5000Mah battery, can be charged at 10Amps. And always, always, always BALANCE CHARGE each & every LIPO pack!!

Here's a pic of the leads you need. I hope it will be allowed for me to post, as I'm NOT THE SELLER.

https://www.ebay.com/p/14awg-Battery...3345259&chn=ps

Last edited by TeamSkunkwerks; 08-26-2018 at 01:38 PM.