Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Advice On Discontinued Motor Upgrade >

Advice On Discontinued Motor Upgrade

Advice On Discontinued Motor Upgrade

Old 08-23-2018, 12:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Questions?? Advice On Discontinued Motor Upgrade

I'm looking for some advice on replacing a motor that's been discontinued. I have an Associated SC10 RS with the stock Reedy SC700-BL ESC in it. The motor in it now is the stock Reedy 540-SL 3300kv. I would like to upgrade this to a faster motor. According to the Reedy documentation, the SC700-BL would work with a 540-SL 3900kv, or 540-SL 4900kv motor, but these are discontinued and don't seem to be easily found used.

The current pinion is 19t, and spur 87. I would rather not change out the ESC right now, but really would like to squeeze in maybe 4-8 mph on the top end, and a little more acceleration from the line. If it matters, this is for race use on clay, dirt, and occasionally carpet track. Any recommendations on a new motor that would drop into place with this setup?
Old 08-23-2018, 02:52 PM
Tech Lord

Did a search
https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=20344

Looks like is is comparable with a sensored 13.5 turns. So going for a 10.5T or even a 8.5T sensored motor is an option, the sensors are not used witg your esc
Old 08-24-2018, 07:32 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post

Looks like is is comparable with a sensored 13.5 turns. So going for a 10.5T or even a 8.5T sensored motor is an option, the sensors are not used witg your esc

Thanks for the reply. So is it safe to assume most any brushless motor from 13.5 down to 8.5 turns should be workable with this ESC, maybe with some gearing work thrown in to keep the heat and speed in line?
Old 08-25-2018, 03:36 AM
Tech Lord

https://www.rccaraction.com/brushles...-vs-kv-rating/

There is a list of turns <> kv rating

4900kv should be 9.5 turns but I do not think that is easy to get. 10.5 turns is more common because for sure in Europe it is used as spec motors.
Indeed when going for a faster motor you have to change the gearing.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:39 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post

4900kv should be 9.5 turns but I do not think that is easy to get. 10.5 turns is more common because for sure in Europe it is used as spec motors.
Indeed when going for a faster motor you have to change the gearing.
Thanks for your help on this!
Old 08-27-2018, 01:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
Thanks for the reply. So is it safe to assume most any brushless motor from 13.5 down to 8.5 turns should be workable with this ESC, maybe with some gearing work thrown in to keep the heat and speed in line?
Yes, the general rule ive seen is if you go 1 turn down (10.5 to 9.5, for example) you should also gear down 1 tooth on the pinion (19 to 18, for example). Hope that helps.