Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AE GT2 ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 11:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default AE GT2 ???

Cannot seem to reach a human on the phone at AE so I figured I would ask here. Is there some sort of hardware foul up in this kit. Seems like allt he small screws were machined wrong. I have gotten them in but they will not come out now. Already scratched the crap out of the front aluminum hinge pin piece trying to remove the screw. Needless to say I am pretty PO'd. I also do not see how the small screws that hild the pins in in the arms etc.. will hold them in. The heads of the small screws dont seem to even reach the pin???? Thanks
Old 02-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Keep calling AE. When I first got my kit they replaced all the screws I needed at no charge. Just find out what screws and write the part number down from the manual. Possible they may send you a new bulkhead as well if you have to dremel it to get the screw out. Have to ask them.

I had to call them the other day and it was busy forever too.

Last edited by jbrow1; 02-26-2007 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ah glad to know I am not nuts. Thanks
Old 02-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Tech Addict

AE was moving buildings last week and so may have been hard to reach. Call customer service and talk to Don or Bill and they can get you setup with some replacement screws. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You better check if you are using the correct screws. The ones that came with my kit do hold the hinge pins. The allen head is much smaller though so check if you have the correct wrench from the kit.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lyung
You better check if you are using the correct screws. The ones that came with my kit do hold the hinge pins. The allen head is much smaller though so check if you have the correct wrench from the kit.
On my kit all the small hinge pin screws were bad, the front bulkhead screws, and most all the screws that were the same size as the tranny screws. It's definately not an imagination thing. I never even put mine in tight until I got the replacements.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Tech Adept

Yeah, they definitely got a bad batch of hardware, but AE customer support is great. They got me squared away with all the hardware that needed replacing.

The hinge pins require a .050 hex head and that size isn't included with the kit. Unfortunately, I had to buy one and it cost me $8.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

OOPS
Old 02-27-2007, 05:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

I double checked everything. This certainly isnt my first kit just knew something wasnt right but it was too late for a couple. I got them most of the way in and then they wouldnt go any further or come out do to the head. Basically I need to replace all the hinge pin retaining screws and recieved no eclips as well. Thought I would find them in another bag through out the build but never came acrossed them either. Not a biggie but i will mention it to AE. I will contact them and get it all worked out. Oh and NO I didnt lose them. LOL I keep a very oraganized bench and open only what I need at that given time. Thanks for all the responses. I do appreciate the help.

My dungeon!

Old 02-27-2007, 08:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

AE was moving buildings last week and so may have been hard to reach. Call customer service and talk to Don or Bill and they can get you setup with some replacement screws. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Kdub, Just got off the phone with Don and no questions asked besides what I needed to be sent out. EXCELLENT service. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Was wondering if I could get some suggestions on Front and Rear shock oil for a good starting base setup? Im new 1/10th so I have no clue where to start.I have also built everything according to the manual as well. Looked around the net for a setup sheet but cant seem to find one for the GT2 (that has been filled out that is not a blank one LOL)Thanks