Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 Offroad Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hello,

The Swift is not an MBX5 copy, as few if any of the parts from the Mugen will bolt onto the Swift without modification. Pivot ball suspension has been around for a lot longer than Mugen 1/8 off-road cars, and "laydown" servos have been around since the 70's. I'd call the Swift an evolution of several cars out there, combining the best from Kyosho and Mugen into one car. Copying? No. Borrowing technology? Maybe. But not from Mugen. A revolution? Hardly!

Also, many of the pictures of the Swift out there are of a prototype car with plastic for display purposes only. From what I've heard on the manufacturing side of things, many companies from Taiwan (Power Racing is based in mainland China, and the Swift is the first car to be _completely_ made on the mainland) are impressed with the production composites used for the A-arms and other stress-bearing parts, wondering how a new company could figure it out so quickly. Let me just say that there was a lot of persistence from our testing crew to get it right the first time...several different composites were tested before the parts went together to create the final version. Besides, one can't use a durometer on a computer monitor. Looks can be deceiving!

Like any new car, parts may be hard to find at hobby shops at first. I can tell you that our warehouse is full to the hilt with parts, so it's up to the shops to carry them. You'll be seeing reviews of the Swift in R/C Car magazine soon, and soon after R/C Car Action too. We'll also be at the Nitro Challenge in Hemet, hopefully without getting our arses stomped into the ground too hard!

The only negatives right out of the box (what, a manufacturer telling the truth! ack!) are the lack of loctite on the CVJ's, and the crappy paint job on the stock body (we are including a clear body as a limited time offer in addition to the pre-painted one). Some have them on the setscrews, some don't. I said to USE LOCTITE to our factory in China so many times, I turned blue. Luckily, it looks like they listened for the second production run of the car. There are other little tips here and there on various message boards to help you out, and our website will have them listed soon.

The most commonly replaced parts on the Swift are the suspension mounts, like many other cars, and those are pretty cheap and fairly easy to replace. They work fine on normal size jumps, though. To date, I've only heard of one person breaking an a-arm, and that was because the car whacked a concrete curb at full speed. Naturally lots of upgrades are being worked on as well, and a "Pro" version will be available in a few months.

Hopefully this will dispell some of the myths of the Swift out there. Is it as good as some of the other RTR's out there? That's up to you! At least you know the radio doesn't have any question marks. Thanks for reading.

-Cameron
Power Racing
[email protected]
Old 01-05-2004, 04:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Its good to see a truthful response from a manufacturer!! I think the buggy looks great and the price is even better. For what you get I can see that this season there will be a lot of Swift's at our local track!!
Old 01-05-2004, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

If you want a Corvette you would buy a Corvette right? If you want to win races you would buy a car that has proven itself over and over again right? 1/8 buggy's are not going to ever be a cheap car to run so trying to be cheap about it is foolish. The cars are expensive and so are engines and tires. If you want to be a cheap ass get a mini-t or something.

If you want to win races buy a KYOSHO! or mugen.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:20 PM
Tech Master

Getting back to 1/8 buggies. Can't wait to try it again!!!
Old 01-06-2004, 05:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by uDi_MP7.5
no problemo.

this is where you want to go about a lightning.
http://forum.maxxtraxxusa.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33

theres likely a good bit of talk about it already. theres some talk on the swift too i believe. The swift is an X5 copy, like the lightning is a 7.5 copy... But considering the X5 for a good part is a 7.5 copy anyway, its all a much of a muchness. You're basically just looking for the best quality parts in the cheapest package, and from what I see, the lightning takes the gold. No bias, seeing as im an avid kyosho fan myself.

and if you see me being a jackass on those forums, ignore it, it comes naturally.
UDI 7.5
If I remeber correctly you are a HACKER!! You dont race you only BASH (nothing wrong with that) but how many of these cars that you Praise & Slag have you actually seen???? I would really hate to see you influence some one when you have NO IDEA what the other kits you give reviews are like???????
You live in Aust just like me & I bet you don't even know who the best drivers are in your own country??? Buy the way what's the best Australian site for info on 1/8 & 1/10 nitro off road????
Old 01-06-2004, 04:20 PM
Tech Addict

Last edited by uDi_MP7.5; 04-26-2012 at 06:31 AM.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

are some of the swift parts compatible with the MBX5? if so, what are they?
Old 01-07-2004, 10:17 AM
Tech Adept

Cheers, but i've heard it all before. Your not the first one to 'borrow a few ideas' - it'd be nice if you new chinese/taiwanese companies actually brought some new ideas with you though, tell me what a swift has that none of these other buggies out there these days have? A copy doesn't have to have backwards parts compatibility. Throw a swift next to an X5 and they look pretty similar, i'm glad if its a good kit - but manufacturers words are always to be taken with a grain of salt, as is yours. Following the get-what-you-pay-for theory, and knowing Mugen's longer established quality track record, why in the name of god would I buy your swift instead of an X5?
Sounds like you have a grain of salt against "you chinese/taiwanese companies" already! All kidding aside...

I don't see any "new" ideas on the Mugen MBX5 either, that was my point. On the other hand, I don't think Mugen "copied" anyone else, either. To answer your question: there isn't anything on the Swift that hasn't been done before, just a decent quality car at a much more affordable price.

I doubt you've heard this before: If you have US$900 to properly prepare an MBX5, I would definitely recommend that car over ours. If you want something that's way-more-than-half-the-quality-even-as-an-RTR but half-the-price, our car is the way to go. A new company has to offer something that the big guys can't: our offer is a quality product at a low price. Got the money? Spend it. I welcome people to do that if they can. If not, that's what Power Racing is for. Besides, it's fun being an underdog. As was stated earlier: "If you want a Corvette you would buy a Corvette right?". I don't think our car is a Hyundai, though!

From approximately 90% of the feedback (yes, I actually keep a database) I've had via e-mail and over the phone, most people are getting a LOT more than what they are paying for, teething issues aside. And I'll be darned if any new company has that kind of track record for their first car that has only been out one month. Unfortunately, that makes expectations high, but that's another issue...wait'll the magazine reviews come out.

There's really not much else to say, you have your opinion, I have mine. Hope this clears some things up for others out there, though. Thanks for keeping it real.

Best regards and enjoy racing,

-Cameron
Old 01-07-2004, 06:28 PM
Tech Elite

...I'd be interested in getting a Swift......I just want to wait first. .....or maybe try driving one before I buy it. From what I've seen from the pictures...it looks really promising....the price is awfully tempting too.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:39 PM
Tech Addict

Last edited by uDi_MP7.5; 04-26-2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by uDi_MP7.5
First you state the Swift is not a copy of the X5, now you state that it's a similar car for a lot less price, which is it?
I can agree with you - I don't see many new ideas on the X5, I am not a Mugen person, a devout Kyosho fan if anything - but there is more than 0 new ideas on the kit. Laydown servos are new for buggies, and mugen was the first to implement that regardless of how much real world performance gain that involves, the plastic bushings in parts are useful so we replace cheap small parts instead of expensive larger ones, bringing split center diff mounts back in is a good idea, etc etc.

Your points are all valid, and most are quite quite correct. I'm not sure what position you hold in the company, but if its somewhere in marketing/advertising, you're doing a great job.

But my stand on this - is there's far too many half price underdogs, yet no new ideas coming out. Anyone can whip up a company like Power Racing, and no doubt there are plenty of people who will buy your kits, purely for price. But what is your company bringing to this hobby, other than half-price copies of what exists currently? Amazing, you are letting people get into the hobby for cheaper - but a HB lightning, a nice Hyper, whatever - will do that fine. You're filling a nonexistant void.

Why don't you go out and do something that will benefit this hobby, and stop diverting dollars that otherwise just might end up with a company that does pour some of the money back into developing these kits, so our hobby, and particularly this branch of it - which imo has gone nowhere in the last few years - might actually move away from the now VERY boring 7.5 platform.

Your company will make money, thrive and survive for at least a while. But maybe there are better ways of doing it, ways that just may help out in the long run.

That's a very one-sided post, but that's my stance on it. If anyone wants to flame me because I am a mere basher (or 'just some kid in front of a computer') and this likely doesn't affect me, save it.

As for your comment on magazine articles - well that's another kettle of fish. Have you ever seen a magazine straight out put down a car? they never will, even if it's the worst thing since the Ofna GTLX. That's that.

jmo
uDi
Dude, why are you arguing? This is like the "AE owns shaftdrive" argument. PRP is not using anything in thier buggies that hasn't been implemented in the past by multiple other companies. And yes, I have seen a magazine put down a car, XRC does it all the time. If people like you were in charge of the future of R/C, I would quit. Whats wrong with making some money, even if they are using the same technology as someone else, I don't see anything wrong. Infact, I'm getting one, I wasn't planning on it, but you convinced me, good job!
Old 01-07-2004, 09:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

why are you guys hating on the new guy.
. i have seen a box stock set up swift running a ofna hyper 8 port. take the expert a main in a 25 car field!! the swift is a race worthy car it has proven that, over the month it has been out. so if your on a budget and want to race 1/8 buggy. this new car is worth checking out. you can get a swift for the price of a t-maxx. you cant even touch that price with anyother buggy. plus with the fm digital radio!!!
Old 01-07-2004, 10:47 PM
Tech Addict

Last edited by uDi_MP7.5; 04-26-2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:09 AM
Tech Adept

wagnerov - while it is sweet to see a company representative backing up the swift at quite a few forums (i'm seeing your username pop up around the place), let me remind you that it might also be wise to let the car speak for itself if it's so good.
You have a good point there. We're trying to achieve a little respect that has taken Mugen (remember the Bulldog? Athlete?) or Kyosho 15-30 years to achieve in a bit less time. I hope it doesn't take that long, I might be bald by then.

On the other hand, those same companies don't need to put up with all the BS from people thinking they know everything about their car already, be it from people on the Internet, or other manufacturers that don't want us in their treehouses...they're either too big of a company to really care, been around long enough to ignore the freedom of the Internet, or have such large volumes that the few bad apples don't spoil the bunch.

Customers of our car don't know the whole story either (as much as I like to talk to them!), so that is why I post here...to dispel such myths and hopefully enlighten a few. Whether these comments sell cars or not doesn't matter to me, I just want to see the truth out there about our car and company (okay, I don't want to see anyone calling it a pile of sh*t! Everyone has their bad experiences sometime, hopefully the Swift won't intersect with that time, and we'll do our best to fix the problem). And someday, hopefully soon, you _will_ see something from us that hasn't been done before by anyone else. 'nuff said from me.

Have fun down under and avoid the vegemite,

-Cameron
Marketing guy and general geek/slave from Power Racing
Old 01-08-2004, 07:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Hey, if they don't like the Swift coz it's not the new design of the century,that's fine. They'll get used following the beloved Swift during the mains[right behing them trying to catch up]. Right now local races are where we based our new info about the car. Every weekend we try to call PRP and update them on what we found out about the car. Either it's good or bad. Lately it's always been good.Between the Swift and the other BIG companies, I probably have a few hundred dollars extra to buy me tires,gas,entry fee and other important stuff I need to race my cars.If there is what you call the design of the century come out in 1/8 buggy, how can you be sure it's the way to go when creating a new buggy. The current design works and is good enough. Unless you work for the industry and understand the engineering that goes with designing race buggies, I think we just need to give the Swift some time to make a name. I rather am concerned on how it does locally than Natinally. What the results from regular skilled drivers doing very well with the car is more important right now.I am not sure how the local races from other countries are but on a regular offroad raceday we get 160 racers in offroad and one of our local onroad tracks get the same amount on a local weekend race. So, when we talk about the Swift winning locally. We don't mean it winning a cheesy weekend race when some races get less than 50 for that day.Kinai or MBX 5 are super cars but why be ordinary???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.