Wiki Posts
Search

'Real Shocks'

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 03:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default 'Real Shocks'

With shocks being the hot topic of the new year has anyone seen these 'real shocks'?

www.realshocks.com

http://www.redrc.net/2012/01/mip-rea...ton-technology
Old 01-27-2012, 04:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I'm thinking that the Traxxas Revo platnium had something similar. We have the pistons and shims that go in the shocks at the store. They change the flow based on the amount of force. Since it was Traxxas, I never took it serious.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:39 AM
Tech Adept

I like the idea but think using the system reversed is probably the best way in offroad.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Interesting....definitely looks like 2012 is going to be a year of suspension innovations. About time too....

It would be interesting to know if this design provides progressive damping, based on shaft speed. At the very least it allows the user to control compression a bit better.

The discs appear to deflect, which controls the flow through the piston holes during compression. On rebound, the disc blocks off all of the holes, and the flats on the outside of the piston determine the rebound rate. Rebound rate is less critical, so that shouldn't be a big deal.

I know the cost is prohibitive, but I'd really love to see a true external bypass shock for RC cars. . That's where we would see significant advances in progressive damping.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:08 AM
Tech Elite

It looks backwards to me unless there is a reason to slow down rebound?
Old 01-27-2012, 06:25 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Stubbs
Interesting....definitely looks like 2012 is going to be a year of suspension innovations. About time too....

It would be interesting to know if this design provides progressive damping, based on shaft speed. At the very least it allows the user to control compression a bit better.

The discs appear to deflect, which controls the flow through the piston holes during compression. On rebound, the disc blocks off all of the holes, and the flats on the outside of the piston determine the rebound rate. Rebound rate is less critical, so that shouldn't be a big deal.

I know the cost is prohibitive, but I'd really love to see a true external bypass shock for RC cars. . That's where we would see significant advances in progressive damping.
This is how Penske racing shocks work for on road cars.

The reason they slow down the rebound is to help keep the tire planted. Its ideal for on road where you don't have to deal with bumps and jumps.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:30 AM
Tech Elite

Don't we want faster rebounding shock in RC offroad cars? This looks like the pistons has a dynamic compressionrate, but the rebound seems slow!
Old 01-27-2012, 07:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by morgoth
Don't we want faster rebounding shock in RC offroad cars? This looks like the pistons has a dynamic compressionrate, but the rebound seems slow!

Logically speaking, would you want a fast dampening and slow rebound on a really blown out bumpy track? The fast dampening would "suck up" the bumps and the slow rebound would prevent the tires from falling deep into the valleys of the ruts.

However, I'm not a suspension expert...

my $.02

Last edited by nv529; 01-27-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

as long as whatever they come up with is priced good they will sell, but i think the future is in magnetically controlled shocks but it seems the cost of producing them keeps them from the market...
Old 01-27-2012, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nv529
Logically speaking, would you want a fast dampening and slow rebound on a really blown out bumpy track? The fast dampening would "suck up" the bumps and the slow rebound would prevent the tires from falling deep into the valleys of the ruts.

However, I'm not a suspension expert...

my $.02
If the shocks don't rebound fast enough, the chassis will bottom out.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Yeah, generally you want the rebound to be faster than compression off road. Keeps the car reacting to the terrain and keeps it from "packing up" and staying too far into the travel. On road I think slower rebound is what you want w/ the smooth surfaces.

I actually have a set of the Traxxas stuff, super simple shim that covers 2 ports on compression, but allows all four to function on rebound. Or the opposite depending on how you put them in.

traxxas variable piston kit

Couldn't go wrong for $6, I put them in my Revo and it didn't really work that well at first. I opened up the rebound ports to 1.2mm (they were less than 1mm) and it works great! I have 40 wt in there now and need to bump it up to 50 wt, it's a little soft. Compression damping is noticeably slower than rebound. I am actually impressed w/ a $6 Traxxas part!

I just got a set of Fioroni dual pistons for the D8T. Speaking as a machinist they are nice looking parts, I can't wait to play w/ them!
Old 01-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

watch a trophy truck go through the desert at mach...super fast rebound.

that keeps the tire in contact with the ground as much as possible which is what you need to get what you want out of a car/truck in "off road".
Old 01-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

MIP's been around a long time and usually, his stuff works very well.

It can be reversed for those wondering...

http://www.realshocks.com/Reversed.html

This is probably the most tuneable, but beautifully simple bypass type RC piston to be introduced to date.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

These RPM pistons have been around for a long time. (for T Maxx)

They offer "X" amount of compression damping and "Y" amount of rebound damping.

These new pistons from MIP offer the same thing.............BUT because they use a flexible disc, they are also shaft speed sensitive.

I can't wait til someone figures out how to gas pressurize our shocks.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Does anyone have an ETA/Estimated cost on these things?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.