'Real Shocks'

Old 01-27-2012, 04:57 AM
  #1  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (53)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Belleville, MI
Posts: 4,524
Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default 'Real Shocks'

With shocks being the hot topic of the new year has anyone seen these 'real shocks'?

www.realshocks.com

http://www.redrc.net/2012/01/mip-rea...ton-technology
nv529 is offline  
Old 01-27-2012, 05:30 AM
  #2  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (68)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,583
Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)
Default

I'm thinking that the Traxxas Revo platnium had something similar. We have the pistons and shims that go in the shocks at the store. They change the flow based on the amount of force. Since it was Traxxas, I never took it serious.
Greg B is offline  
Old 01-27-2012, 05:39 AM
  #3  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 147
Default

I like the idea but think using the system reversed is probably the best way in offroad.
AmiSMB is offline  
Old 01-27-2012, 05:51 AM
  #4  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (58)
 
Stubbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,184
Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default

Interesting....definitely looks like 2012 is going to be a year of suspension innovations. About time too....

It would be interesting to know if this design provides progressive damping, based on shaft speed. At the very least it allows the user to control compression a bit better.

The discs appear to deflect, which controls the flow through the piston holes during compression. On rebound, the disc blocks off all of the holes, and the flats on the outside of the piston determine the rebound rate. Rebound rate is less critical, so that shouldn't be a big deal.

I know the cost is prohibitive, but I'd really love to see a true external bypass shock for RC cars. . That's where we would see significant advances in progressive damping.
Stubbs is offline  
Old 01-27-2012, 06:08 AM
  #5  
Tech Elite
 
hakmazter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,468
Default

It looks backwards to me unless there is a reason to slow down rebound?
hakmazter is offline  
Old 01-27-2012, 07:25 AM
  #6  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 544
Default

Originally Posted by Stubbs View Post
Interesting....definitely looks like 2012 is going to be a year of suspension innovations. About time too....

It would be interesting to know if this design provides progressive damping, based on shaft speed. At the very least it allows the user to control compression a bit better.

The discs appear to deflect, which controls the flow through the piston holes during compression. On rebound, the disc blocks off all of the holes, and the flats on the outside of the piston determine the rebound rate. Rebound rate is less critical, so that shouldn't be a big deal.

I know the cost is prohibitive, but I'd really love to see a true external bypass shock for RC cars. . That's where we would see significant advances in progressive damping.
This is how Penske racing shocks work for on road cars.

The reason they slow down the rebound is to help keep the tire planted. Its ideal for on road where you don't have to deal with bumps and jumps.
Miniracer23 is offline  
Old 01-27-2012, 07:30 AM
  #7  
Tech Elite
 
morgoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2,821
Default

Don't we want faster rebounding shock in RC offroad cars? This looks like the pistons has a dynamic compressionrate, but the rebound seems slow!
morgoth is offline  
Old 01-27-2012, 08:17 AM
  #8  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (53)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Belleville, MI
Posts: 4,524
Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by morgoth View Post
Don't we want faster rebounding shock in RC offroad cars? This looks like the pistons has a dynamic compressionrate, but the rebound seems slow!

Logically speaking, would you want a fast dampening and slow rebound on a really blown out bumpy track? The fast dampening would "suck up" the bumps and the slow rebound would prevent the tires from falling deep into the valleys of the ruts.

However, I'm not a suspension expert...

my $.02

Last edited by nv529; 01-27-2012 at 08:31 AM.
nv529 is offline  
Old 01-27-2012, 08:36 AM
  #9  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 630
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

as long as whatever they come up with is priced good they will sell, but i think the future is in magnetically controlled shocks but it seems the cost of producing them keeps them from the market...
J-MAN is offline  
Old 01-27-2012, 09:09 AM
  #10  
Tech Elite
 
morgoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2,821
Default

Originally Posted by nv529 View Post
Logically speaking, would you want a fast dampening and slow rebound on a really blown out bumpy track? The fast dampening would "suck up" the bumps and the slow rebound would prevent the tires from falling deep into the valleys of the ruts.

However, I'm not a suspension expert...

my $.02
If the shocks don't rebound fast enough, the chassis will bottom out.
morgoth is offline  
Old 01-27-2012, 09:50 AM
  #11  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (40)
 
Precision1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 662
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default

Yeah, generally you want the rebound to be faster than compression off road. Keeps the car reacting to the terrain and keeps it from "packing up" and staying too far into the travel. On road I think slower rebound is what you want w/ the smooth surfaces.

I actually have a set of the Traxxas stuff, super simple shim that covers 2 ports on compression, but allows all four to function on rebound. Or the opposite depending on how you put them in.

traxxas variable piston kit

Couldn't go wrong for $6, I put them in my Revo and it didn't really work that well at first. I opened up the rebound ports to 1.2mm (they were less than 1mm) and it works great! I have 40 wt in there now and need to bump it up to 50 wt, it's a little soft. Compression damping is noticeably slower than rebound. I am actually impressed w/ a $6 Traxxas part!

I just got a set of Fioroni dual pistons for the D8T. Speaking as a machinist they are nice looking parts, I can't wait to play w/ them!
Precision1 is offline  
Old 01-27-2012, 04:11 PM
  #12  
Tech Master
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: michigan
Posts: 1,678
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

watch a trophy truck go through the desert at mach...super fast rebound.

that keeps the tire in contact with the ground as much as possible which is what you need to get what you want out of a car/truck in "off road".
o.s. power is offline  
Old 01-27-2012, 04:43 PM
  #13  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (86)
 
mblgjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: AL
Posts: 2,179
Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)
Default

MIP's been around a long time and usually, his stuff works very well.

It can be reversed for those wondering...

http://www.realshocks.com/Reversed.html

This is probably the most tuneable, but beautifully simple bypass type RC piston to be introduced to date.
mblgjr is offline  
Old 01-27-2012, 05:08 PM
  #14  
Tech Master
iTrader: (12)
 
motomatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: WI
Posts: 1,283
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

These RPM pistons have been around for a long time. (for T Maxx)

They offer "X" amount of compression damping and "Y" amount of rebound damping.

These new pistons from MIP offer the same thing.............BUT because they use a flexible disc, they are also shaft speed sensitive.

I can't wait til someone figures out how to gas pressurize our shocks.
motomatt is offline  
Old 01-27-2012, 05:59 PM
  #15  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (11)
 
brainiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 595
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Does anyone have an ETA/Estimated cost on these things?
brainiac is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.