Search

Associated RC12R5

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 05:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chris_blakey
Hi guys,

Loving my R5.1 but hating the shocks on that thing!!
The center shock is such a ball ache trying to getting air free and then after a few runs air it needs a rebuild. Now I have started from fresh with new rebuild kits and used green slime on the seals. I have made sure that the o-ring is in and level before putting the end on.

Now is there anyway that this can be stopped?
Has anyone tried any other center shocks on the car, I have heard the hotbodies shock is meant to be really good?

Cheers

Chris
I have never had an issue with air in the shock once I figured out how to build the shock correctly. This also solved the cross threading problem mentioned by Arecee. The steps I teach everyone at our track with a 12r5 or 10r5 are:

fill the shock with oil to the top
put in the piston making sure you do not push any air in
put the plastic retainer in and push into place with a small wrench
put in the o ring. The ring will not be flush with the top of the shock body

***Important Part***

Take a small wrench and "Burp" the o ring by gently pulling the o ring away from the shock shaft. This will release the extra oil. Do this until the oil ring sits flush with the shock body

put the top cap on.

Done!

Hope this helps.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mauromj
Has anyone drilled a new left servo mount hole and been successful in countersinking in? I know where I need my hole and it will be easy to drill, I just want it countersunk nicely. How should I do it?
The owner of my LHS has the 12r5 and he drilled and countersunk a new hole for his servo. He did a pretty good job of it imo
Old 10-22-2010, 08:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

So I just built the car and I have no side springs in it right now. My links are kinda acting like springs and not allowing the pod to move and stay in the position im moving it to. Is this normal in link cars? My side links are bassically acting as torsion bars allitle bit. Thanks
Old 10-22-2010, 08:42 PM
Tech Addict

Just adjusted the center pivot and that seemed to be my problem.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1
Here s your answer Robert

the answer is no !!

good luck at EPs this weekend , shame i cannot be there
I'm not saying that servo is centered or not, but the slight angle that this photo is taken at makes that red line no way of a proper judgment.

Get it all installed and measure it.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Ran my first 1:12 race this weekend and wow... can`t wait to drive it again!

The only problem i had was that i blew the cap right off the side damper 2-3 times in crashes. Is there any way to bulletproof it?

I`m also looking for some parts like diff balls and rear ride height plates on Ampdraw. Can i use parts from other brands?
Old 10-25-2010, 02:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by runar80
Ran my first 1:12 race this weekend and wow... can`t wait to drive it again!

The only problem i had was that i blew the cap right off the side damper 2-3 times in crashes. Is there any way to bulletproof it?

I`m also looking for some parts like diff balls and rear ride height plates on Ampdraw. Can i use parts from other brands?
IRS or CRC ride height adjusters work just fine. Make sure the damper does not have too much oil. The o ring should be flush with the shock body. If the cap has blown of several times the threads may be stripped. It may need to be replaced.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mauromj
So I just built the car and I have no side springs in it right now. My links are kinda acting like springs and not allowing the pod to move and stay in the position im moving it to. Is this normal in link cars? My side links are bassically acting as torsion bars allitle bit. Thanks
Most likely you have the clamp screws on the links too tight. The links should move freely on the pivot balls with minimal to no slop. All four pivot points on the links need to be set this way. It takes some time to get the screws to the proper tightness
Old 10-25-2010, 04:53 PM
Tech Addict

It was the center pivot. I had to loosen both screws then tighten it down again. It would flex to one side then stick there. Smooth as butter now!
Old 10-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default 12r5.1

Hey guys I have a quick question. I had a guy drive up my *** this weekend and after that my car drove terrible. I put the car on the tweak board and the car has a terrible tweak in it. What could be bent that I should look for? Just looked the car over quick and can't find anything. Thanks
Old 10-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Tech Addict

I would first check your chassis. Lay the chassis flush with a flat surface and look if its tweaked. If not it could have tweaked you side springs or links. Prob not front end since you got hit from rear, but check that to.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:14 AM
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by haywood
Hey guys I have a quick question. I had a guy drive up my *** this weekend and after that my car drove terrible. I put the car on the tweak board and the car has a terrible tweak in it. What could be bent that I should look for? Just looked the car over quick and can't find anything. Thanks
First thing to look at in that type of crash will be the rear center pivot. It has most likely moved and has now bound up the rear linkage.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sean Cochran
First thing to look at in that type of crash will be the rear center pivot. It has most likely moved and has now bound up the rear linkage.
I bent the motor plate!
Old 10-26-2010, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by haywood
I bent the motor plate!
Ouch, that takes a huge hit to bend the motor mount.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Thanks to everyone that submitted to this thread!! There are a ton of pages to go through but I have found a lot of usefull information.

I have a few questions about some 12r5.1s that I am setting up.

Eventually I will set up both cars with 1S lipo setups but for now, I am just setting up one brushless and the other one brushed. Is there any problems running a brushed setup in the 12r5.1? Would it be worth picking up the brushed rear pod? Does the other pod have better balnce? Are there any other changes I should consider when running a brushed setup? I am running a 27T brushed motor on a 2S 2100mah lipo and it is working ok...although this my first 1/12 scale so I am not sure how it should really feel.

For the other 12R5.1, I have 2 motors I am considering. I already have a Ballistic 13.5T and an X12 LRP 17.5T. There is no 1/12 scale class at our track so I can run whatever I want, I just don't know which one might work better. I will probably buy an LRP SXX V2 ESC for ease of installation (no extra battery or step up). I can probably only buy one lipo so I am still trying to decide on which one to pick out. I switched to the newer Hyperions in all of my heli stuff and they are holding up very well, but I don't think they have any 1 cell lipos for these cars.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Sorry about the long post and all of the questions. I am completely new to 1/12 scale cars so any advice would be very helpfull.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.