Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this motor Roar stock legal? *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 07:18 PM
Tech Legend

funny ,

Always been told, modifying the endbell in anyway is illegal...
Old 11-09-2005, 07:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jiml
Adding the heat sinks is legal. It does not modify the construction of the endbell, it's just an add on.

Using your thinking an Associated clip on heat sink would be illegal. It's not.
Modifying an end bell is completely different than adding a motor can heatsink. After all, adding a heat sink to the can is in no way modifying the motor itself. Using you logic if you can add heatsink to the endbell than you can also drill new vent holes in the can as well.

These heatsinks are a modification to the motor. And just because a motor builder does something does not make it race legal. Besides, when was the last time you were allowed to use your own stock motors at a ROAR race. They are all handout's! Even the non sanctioned races (Snowbirds, Cleveland) all have handout stock motors.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I vote with it being non-ROAR legal since you used an endbell piece that wasn't from the same model of motor. It's now a hybrid motor.

However, the only people that can tell you whether it's truely ROAR legal is ROAR themselves. Maybe they need to modify this rule for 2006 to clarify the situation.

I'm sure for club racing it's fine.

-Frank
Old 11-09-2005, 08:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)

I get e-mails about this quite abit due to our motors come with heatsinks installed. I got this clarified through 3 people high up in ROAR and what it comes down to is as long as you are not modifying the origional design by moving things around (like spring posts) or drilling new holes, widening the holes on your brush hoods etc. you are ok, it plainly states no modifications of the PHYSICAL CONSTRUCTION (these would be the key words) and yes that would imply you could swap spring posts however they included and specified on the spring posts that you may not.

Basically yes its legal and I got your e-mail and Monsters will be in within a week to 2 weeks depending on shipping. Feel free to place an order from the site and for the wait I will throw in 2 pairs of 767's at no charge.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well, at the ROAR nats last year in portland, it was declared illegal.....it was also not allowed at carpet nats in 2004, nor was it allowed at carpet nats in 2005 or paved nats in 2005......not sure about offroad....

Later EddieO
Old 11-09-2005, 09:15 PM
Tech Champion

Hi Eddie - I have 2 e-mails I found from ROAR stating this is legal and both refer me to this from the ROAR Motor Approval list with a picture:

Rebuildable Stock Orion Orion "CORE" TOP27, Black Can,Gray Endbell,.300 comm, l/d br.

http://www.roarracing.org/approvals/smotor.php

Heres the pic

http://www.teamorion.com/products/motors_stock.asp

Its on the approval list and the picture says 1000 words.

Last edited by dgullickson; 07-01-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:19 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Yay!! We learn something new everyday!
Old 11-09-2005, 09:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

So, the heatsinks come on the Orion motor BUT is it O.K. to ADD them to the Monster?
Old 11-09-2005, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If they come stock on the motor, as it was approved....then its legal.

As I am saying, we tried to add them at Paved nats in 2004.....we were told NO, after a phone call was made to double check the rule.

At carpet nats 2004, earlier that year, it was not allowed....

In 2005, it was again stated it was not legal to do it at both carpet and paved nats....

Bob Ingresol the techincal director was at a couple of the events........

Not sure what the point of adding them is really......if yer stock motor is getting that hot, yer doing something wrong.....all it does it raise the cost and add weight........they look cool though.

Not sure about it, the rules are vague at best.....in the end though, if it is legal, doesn't make much sense to not allow it at the 2 biggest ROAR onroad races for the last two years.

Later EddieO
Old 11-10-2005, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EddieO
Not sure about it, the rules are vague at best.....in the end though, if it is legal, doesn't make much sense to not allow it at the 2 biggest ROAR onroad races for the last two years.

Later EddieO
Still makes more sense than running Brushed and Brushless together........

ROAR decisions do not always make sense, and it appears that a "definitive answer" can be different depending on which ROAR official you ask. Perhaps a clarification like the one regarding two-stage tires is in order?
Old 11-10-2005, 08:53 AM
Tech Legend

Eddio , At every Roar off-road stk National I`v been too they have never allowed anyone to install heat sinks on the endbell....
Old 11-10-2005, 11:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The problem with the ROAR rules is it isn't just one rule that says you can't add the heatsinks it's a combination of rules and the end result is you have to run the motor as it was sent in for approval. Thus the CORE motor can use the brush heatsinks because it is submitted without them. That also means that if someone is using a CORE motor without the heatsinks on it is illegal. As it has been "changed" or "modified" from its approved condition. Pages 35-38 of the ROAR Rule explain the stock motor rules. You can download it for free from www.roarracing.com.

As Ian stated the ROAR rules are too vague on what they mean. Depending on who is reading the rules and interrupting them they can have different meanings. Most often the rules are never updated to give the proper intent.

Brian
Old 11-10-2005, 08:58 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Thank you brian, ok, so back to axiom motors, the monster stocks has heat sinks on them so what about that then
Old 11-10-2005, 09:11 PM
Tech Legend

Its no big having the heats sinks on your monster...

Only a problem if you were in a Roar sanction event .

Like Roar regionals...

And even then its up to the race director`s disgression....

At Roar National events you will be always be using a handout stock motor.
In these events you can`t add the heat sinks on .
And if the heat sinks are already on the thing, thats the only way you can race with it...

Hope this helps...
Old 11-10-2005, 09:28 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by BSchorr
Thank you brian, ok, so back to axiom motors, the monster stocks has heat sinks on them so what about that then
We at Axiom are re-doing our Stock Motor line. They will currently NOT come with the Heatsinks till I hear back from ROAR (again). Bshorr I will send you some heatsinks for free since you have been in Limbo on this. We will be doing new pictures and some of the web design to reflect this. Should be done by Monday. Heatsinks are available on our site for purchase as well.