Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help a beginner ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The shimming of Kyosho diffs are left up to the kit builder. It's that way on any kit you build. It isn't that hard to do and the ST-R is one of the best platforms (based on the Inferno MP777) that you can buy. I haven't seen any go bad because they weren't shimmed EXACTLY but I have seen a couple go bad because they weren't shimmed at all.

So if someone says that they blew a Kyosho diff then it is operator/builder error.

(Spoken from an owner of OFNA/Jammin and Kyosho buggies.)
Old 09-04-2006, 02:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AreCee
The shimming of Kyosho diffs are left up to the kit builder. It's that way on any kit you build. It isn't that hard to do and the ST-R is one of the best platforms (based on the Inferno MP777) that you can buy. I haven't seen any go bad because they weren't shimmed EXACTLY but I have seen a couple go bad because they weren't shimmed at all.

So if someone says that they blew a Kyosho diff then it is operator/builder error.

(Spoken from an owner of OFNA/Jammin and Kyosho buggies.)
This is what I'm talking about...Owns one and tells it like it is...
Old 09-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well, a good friend had a hellfire, and it broke ALL the time, more than a XXX4 even, on the stupidest things. Some of his breakage was in hard wrecks, but most of it was just the slightest of bumps, or barely tapping the pipes. I am sure they "fixed" the problem, as you put it, but I have yet to see anyone switch back to the Hellfire, yet. The Kyosho I drove was shimmed properly by a fellow that races all the time and with help from a professional driver and it lasted all of an hour, which was 4 laps in 2 qualifiers, 40 minutes of engine break in and the first lap of the A-Main at the RC Pro series West round 3. Of course they are all going to have a problem, they all do, but the sheer volume of problems that people are having with the front diff on the Kyosho is more than just a user error, just look on the starting grid. The new Hellfire SS might be a great truggy, but I have yet to see any in action. The CRT RTR is going to have issues, but I wouldn't get the RTR in that, in fact I doubt that I would get a RTR truggy anyways. The reason that I mentioned the LSP as a RTR is that it is inexpensive and been around so many of the issues have been worked out. So sure take what I say with a grian of salt, I have only driven the ST-R, a MSR MBX5T Prospec conversion, an ST-1 and a CRT. The ST-1 also has issues with the front arms, have one sitting in my garage right now, fwiw.
Rod
Old 09-04-2006, 04:31 PM
Tech Lord

Did your friend ever talk to anyone in customer service at HPI to address these problems ? I broke my first set of A arms very easily I must say, But I called HPI and talked to them about it, I was informed that the problem was in the manufacturing process (air pockets) and it was not just the A arms on the RTR's it was all the A arms. So if your friend had broke an A arm and he got the replacement part from the LHS it is very well he could have gotten one of the bad A arms. I used to own a carpet track and it was tight and it had some unforgiving boarders, I can remember a "few" of the racers just beating on their cars in some of the heats and then they would just "tap" a board and break and then bitch about how easy their car broke... ...I guess they never thought about all the other times that they hit the boards and you can only hit so many things before something plastic breaks. I have not really broken anything other than the original A arms, I guess your friend is either very un-Lucky or I'm very lucky. I will commend HPI for at least offering the replacement parts for free. I was running a modded CRT RTR and I'm back running my Hellfire... I had bought an LSP Pro when it first came out and had tons of problems with it, But I never broke or bent any A arms...Just everything attached to them... I hope you do understand where I'm coming from on this. I own a few of the truggys you had talked about, and as far as the Hellfire goes I thought to make such a statement like you did and not give a reason for your statement was not right. It would have been better to at least say...My friend had one and it always broke and it was a...etc...I cant say much on the ST-R, I don't own one or work on one.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

yeah, I totally understand, I was just trying to get where my points had come from. I heard that the first gen was bad, but it is just one of those things that you get a bad taste in your mouth and it spoils you. I was just trying to get out some points to a newer racer. every race I have been to has had excellent support for the Jammin, and limited for the Hellfire, the Kyosho has really picked up for parts support over the summer.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:26 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by gatermaxx
yeah, I totally understand, I was just trying to get where my points had come from. I heard that the first gen was bad, but it is just one of those things that you get a bad taste in your mouth and it spoils you. I was just trying to get out some points to a newer racer. every race I have been to has had excellent support for the Jammin, and limited for the Hellfire, the Kyosho has really picked up for parts support over the summer.
As far as the Jammin goes their is so much support for their product, Team drivers are approachable and willing to help. They know that their products are designed for racing first. Their is also a lot of aftermarket support for their Truggy. On the HPI Truggy I was told that they (HPI) are not a "racing" company, this is what Hot Bodies is for, after this year the Pro4 WILL be discontinued. Even though I own a Hellfire and I do like it, I would not recommend it for someone who is looking to get into racing. Not because I think it handles bad, not because I think its fragile, but because I don't think HPI is committed to racing, so you are NOT going to see any "Team" drivers, your not going to get a lot of set up help/advice. I do think that the SS Hellfire is a great deal for someone looking for a great basher/race truggy. I would not be surprised to see Hot Bodies market the Hellfire under their name and "retire" the LSP line of truggys. I do understand where you were coming from...Trust me on this one...I was not to "pleased" either with the A arm snapping like a twig when I got my Hellfire... ...I even know some guys that work for HPI...
Old 09-05-2006, 06:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

LSP is an excellent truggy to get into truggy racing. The ackerman problem was an easy fix by adding a second stock ackerman plate for what $5?
Ive raced mine for a year now and have broken a couple front bulkheads in nasty crashes and thats it. Not a single part otherwise and I think I discovered why I broke those bulkheads and corrected it.

Alot of people diss on the LSP because it doesnt get the national attention that the others get. The only reason it does not get the attention is because HB/HPI didnt spend any money on team drivers to promote their product. That was their mistake. But let Hara show up with one and he is still a force to be reckoned with.

The only thing I dislike is the parts are not a dime a dozen like the Jammin parts. The CVD's are not rebuildable with HB parts because they only sell a complete assembly. Doesnt matter now to me since I put 8mm buggy axles on it.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:16 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by mach51
LSP is an excellent truggy to get into truggy racing. The ackerman problem was an easy fix by adding a second stock ackerman plate for what $5?
Ive raced mine for a year now and have broken a couple front bulkheads in nasty crashes and that's it. Not a single part otherwise and I think I discovered why I broke those bulkheads and corrected it.

A lot of people dis's on the LSP because it doesn't get the national attention that the others get. The only reason it does not get the attention is because HB/HPI didn't spend any money on team drivers to promote their product. That was their mistake. But let Hara show up with one and he is still a force to be reckoned with.

The only thing I dislike is the parts are not a dime a dozen like the Jammin parts. The CVD's are not rebuildable with HB parts because they only sell a complete assembly. Doesn't matter now to me since I put 8mm buggy axles on it.
But the Problem is their are just as good or better Truggys out their for the same or less money. The parts support is also better for the "other" brands, After owning an LSP and a Hellfire I'm a hard sell on their products now, I know just "how" the LSP was for me and I don't think you can convince me any different... I did not dislike the LSP though and I don't think it was a bad Truggy either. It was not without it's problems though...
Old 09-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Tech Initiate

sounds to me like I am in the market for a jammin truggy... I was told at a local shop that the mugen was the best one out now, but the price is just too much for a first nitro. It doesnt sound like it is that justified yet either. It's my understanding now that most all have problems when the line first starts, so Mugen probably will not be that different.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Also for the Dallas natives,,,, I like racing at Mikes shop, don,t get me wrong. However; Mikes is the only electric track in the area that I know of, and he will be closing his doors in a lil over two years. There are at least 3 high quality gas tracks in the area , prob more that I dont know about yet.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:54 AM
Tech Master

Really, because the mugen is almost the least expensive of the truggies, 449 right now at amainhobbies.com, plus 10 to ship anywhere in the US. I have heard that you do not need to go prospec on the truggy, just switch from captured hingepins and 2 piece motor mount and eventually switch to the prospec shock towers.
Mugen
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/7383
LSP
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/4140
Old 09-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Tech Addict

Gas is expensive to get started if you want to be competitive at racing. You'll need lots of pricey stuff:
- the kit (duh!)
- at least 1 high torque servo for steering
- another decent servo for throttle/brake
- engine
- pipe
- tires and rims
- starter box, starter box battery, glow plug heater, glow plug, glow plug heater recharger, battery box battery charger
- metric tool set
- fuel
- the list goes on but that's the most expensive stuff.

I spent probably around $1500+ to get started. Whatever you buy just make sure there is local parts support.

I went from electric buggy at Mike's to gas at Speed Racer's Hobby. I love the long heats and mains. I don't see very many truggies there. 1/8th scale buggy is the most popular class by far.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:50 PM
Tech Initiate

expensive is right,,, that is why I am considering starting with a used truggy or buggy. I understand that you cant count on the engine being any good, but even with an engine replacement, I still think I might be better off than starting with a RTR package.
If there isn't going to be many people running truggy class, I may go ahead and get the buggy. I am a Losi fan, so I may try and hold out for the Eight.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:06 PM
Tech Addict

The Losi could be the next great thing, but don't forget almost every new car of any scale goes through growing pains where flaws are uncovered. Being a rookie it might not be the best idea to be an early adopter of an untested car.

I'd stay away from a used engine. You can buy an O.S. RG on Tower Hobbies for like $100. It has plenty of power and tunability for a new gas racer at SRH. You don't want to start with a $400 engine as a rookie anyway.

If you decide to take the plunge drop me a PM and we can talk.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:15 PM
Tech Initiate

ok, so if its a buggy then there are lots to choose from. How about a lil input on the buggies. Jammin, Mugen, Kyosho???? and which model?

I made the mistake of buying a xxt and 5 weeks later found that all parts are discontinued. I dont want to make that mistake again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.