Wiki Posts
Search

Help a beginner ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 06:13 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sturat5150
ok, so if its a buggy then there are lots to choose from. How about a lil input on the buggies. Jammin, Mugen, Kyosho???? and which model?

I made the mistake of buying a xxt and 5 weeks later found that all parts are discontinued. I don't want to make that mistake again.
I feel your pain... On the buggies their are so many out their right now it is hard to make a choice, or at least one that you can live with. I think if you sift through all the "hype" the three that you listed would be at the top of any ones list. The Mugen and Kyosho are both proven performers...but at a price. The Kyosho is $ 750 with no motor, the Mugen Prop spec is $ 640 with no motor. Really great cars but by the time it's all said and done you will have $ 1100 or more invested... The Jammin is not what I would call cheap either, The FT version is $ 520 with no motor, the Pro is $ 480. The better deal on the Ofna's is the Hyper 8 pro, still not cheap at $ 420 but for a pro level buggy it's not bad, It can and has competed at the same level as the Kyosho and Mugen but at a better price. Their are a few other buggies out their worth a look but questionable parts support here in the US would make them a no look for me...That's the Xrays and The CEN. My choice would be the Hyper 8 Pro with an OS VZB, Nice combo. Not the fastest motor, not the most expensive buggy but you would be more than competitive at any level. If your going to buy a used off road anything be very very careful, Photos can not really show bent, worn, or some of the other damage that off road racing or bashing can do to a car or truck...Your idea of "clean" may not be the same as the person who's selling the car/truck to you.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

When I got into gas a short time ago, I was advised that the OFNA Hyper 8 was the best bang for the buck. Only two or three people run one at SRH ("Speed Racer's Hobbies" soon to be renamed to "Speed RC" in Richardson) though. I'm not sure if the parts support is there right now, you'd have to check.

I ended up with an Xray XB8R because my friend had one. It made it easier on my wallet at first because he was letting me share his starter box and glow plug stuff.

Most people run an Xray XB8 or TQ at SRH. There are a handful of Mugen's and Kyosho's though. We don't really suffer parts shortages to the best of my knowledge because RC America (Xray distributor) is in town. If you can drive decently enough to avoid the spectacular crashes into cinder blocks or landing upside down it's rare to break anything anyway. These cars are tougher than electric cars.

Anyway this is not intended as an ad for Xray. My advice is that you go to the track and talk to the racers. Check out the hobby shop wherever you plan to run. If it's SRH than Danny and Ty (the owners) are very friendly and helpful. Ask the same questions you are asking here. Danny has a Mugen ProSpec and Ty runs a Kyosho (not sure on model type). Between them and all the racers you will get the gist of why they like each vehicle.

My objective when getting into any class was always to see what the fast guys were running. It's always good to have someone to copy or talk with rather than struggling with a car no one knows much about setup wise.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Tech Lord

...That's funny, Where I live you cant give Xrays away (sorta of a joke, I'm sure you could) RC America SUCKS!!!!!! it has to be one of the WORST distributors, If Xray was smart they would send Burch packing and give the distributorship back to Horizon. When Horizon was in "charge" you could get parts...they kept them in stock. If you do break something (you do remember Murphy's Law...right) you will be left high and dry. Before I bought anything Xray I would check to see IF the parts you "might" need are in stock or are they in RC Americas favorite "spot"...on freaking back order! The other reason why I would get something other than an Xray is they are no faster than a $ 400 dollar car that you CAN get parts for. So I guess you could say that this is the "other" view of RC America...whom I have dealt with on more than one occasion, I used to own a hobby shop so I am more than familiar with them...But I guess since your in Texas you might actually get parts... the rest of us don't...
Old 09-08-2006, 10:39 AM
Tech Addict

I don't know anything about the r/c biz, I'm just a racer trying to help a local guy get started.

I've heard that elsewhere Mugen and Kyosho are the most popular cars. For some reason its Xray at my track. Just letting the guy know because if I am not mistaken he would end up at the same track.

I've never had the opportunity to drive either a Mugen or Kyosho. If I did I'd give you a report. I've read elsewhere on this forum about which car seems to do something better than the other. Use the search function to find lots more to read on what people think one car does better than the other.

Last edited by Rysuleod; 09-08-2006 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:04 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Rysuleod
I don't know anything about the r/c biz, I'm just a racer trying to help a local guy get started.

I've heard that elsewhere Mugen and Kyosho are the most popular cars. For some reason its Xray at my track. Just letting the guy know because if I am not mistaken he would end up at the same track.

I've never had the opportunity to drive either a Mugen or Kyosho. If I did I'd give you a report. I've read elsewhere on this forum about which car seems to do something better than the other. I'll see if I can locate that information.
Its all good, I have had a "few" problems with RC America, The Xrays are fine, in fact I came very close to buying one, loved how it ran on the track, looked sweet, well built, and very cheap (under $150) but the problem is out where I live the local shops have a hard time getting Xray parts. Out of 3 shops only one will even bother with trying to get Xray stuff. I think anytime you drive a top of the line buggy that's set up well it's going to be fun, If you drove a Mugen or Kyosho that was not set up properly you might have a low opinion of them. From what I remember the Kyosho had a ton of steering was a bit on the "darty" side going into some of the more rutted up turns, jumped well, But I do think that the buggy I drove was the way it was because of set up more than anything else. I'm also used to running a truggy so the darty thing might be more of something i'm not used to, larger truggy tires dont seem to get "up set" as much as the smaller buggy tires do.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:16 PM
Tech Initiate

I dont want to have to order my parts ,, I will probably race at SR, what part lines are most available there ?
Old 09-08-2006, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xxxkat
But the Problem is their are just as good or better Truggys out their for the same or less money. The parts support is also better for the "other" brands, After owning an LSP and a Hellfire I'm a hard sell on their products now, I know just "how" the LSP was for me and I don't think you can convince me any different... I did not dislike the LSP though and I don't think it was a bad Truggy either. It was not without it's problems though...
Im not really trying to convince you of anything. About part support, Ive got a huge box with a couple hundrer dollars of spare parts and the funny thing is, I never use them. The only part I have ever broken was a front bulkhead.

Just because there are newer flavors doesnt make them better. Hotbodies problem was lack of sponsorship for fast drivers but Hara was still fast with it.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:06 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by sturat5150
I dont want to have to order my parts ,, I will probably race at SR, what part lines are most available there ?
I'm no expert on their inventory but I think they have Mugen, Kyosho, and Xray parts for 1/8 scale buggies. They may have more. I'm going to race Sat night so I'll ask.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by mach51
Im not really trying to convince you of anything. About part support, Ive got a huge box with a couple hundrer dollars of spare parts and the funny thing is, I never use them. The only part I have ever broken was a front bulkhead.

Just because there are newer flavors doesnt make them better. Hotbodies problem was lack of sponsorship for fast drivers but Hara was still fast with it.
It's all good...I do agree on the newer is not always better . One thing with the LSP it did not like the 40's series tires... once I quit using them I really did not break much...