Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
First electric on road 1:10 for 100% RC NOOB. >

First electric on road 1:10 for 100% RC NOOB.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First electric on road 1:10 for 100% RC NOOB.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 04:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Default First electric on road 1:10 for 100% RC NOOB.

Hey guys.

I'm new to RC stuff.
Always had some interest in it, but only now get to practice.

Got some problems in choosing elements of my first build.

First of all, decided to start from sakura S zero.

also I need:

540 Type Motor
Body
2-channel R/C unit with ESC
Battery
Charger

Body is no problem.
But everything else just making my head explode.

What motor I should go with?
What charger to choose, what battery to get?

RC unit probably will be HK 310.

I'm from Russia(sorry for my english, haven't got any practice 4 a while)
So I'll use shops like Hobbyking and Rcmart.
It'll be cheaper 4 me to pay 4 delivery from one or two shops, rather than buy everything from several shops.

Motor... I've read a lot of advices 2 choose smthink like 17,5T, cause it's easier 4 noobs to control it. But I think I'd better get smth more powerful.
Any advices and suggestions?
Also I need proper SEC 4 it I suppose.

Thx in advance.
P.S. I'm total noob, so pls as more info as possible.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

are you planning on racing at a local track? If so, stop by there and see what everyone else is using, always easier that way if you have any troubles and there is someone who can help that is familiar. If you are just going to be on the road playing around, I would reccomend finding an esc motor combo, usually cheaper and less complex. 17.5 isn't tons of power, but it can be pretty fast as a newcomer. check on the sakura thread for more help there with the car and most importantly, have fun!
Old 02-25-2012, 10:27 PM
jf+
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Turnigy batteries from Hobbyking are quite good, and a great value. Go for those. I'd recommend a 5000mAh or more, 20-30C should be fine but more is ok too.. I've had zero issues with them and great run times...

I drive a B4.1, so I can't really comment on your car. Never heard of it. I also go by kV rating, not by turns. Turns only tells you how the motor was constructed, not its RPM... Unfortunately kV rating doesn't hand the amount of torque over to you either. For 540 size motors, a kV rating of 4000 give or take 1000 is probably where you want to be. Lower kV is OK! You aren't street racing, you want punch and low-end torque, not blinding top speed. I run a Reedy 3300kV motor that has plenty of punch for my hard-pack clay outdoor track - good lap times are a shade under 30 seconds. I also have a 4600kV Castle 1406 motor that I haven't used yet, because everbody says I'd be a lunatic to run something with much power and I'd have to de-tune the crap out of it.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jf+
The Turnigy batteries from Hobbyking are quite good, and a great value. Go for those. I'd recommend a 5000mAh or more, 20-30C should be fine but more is ok too.. I've had zero issues with them and great run times...

I drive a B4.1, so I can't really comment on your car. Never heard of it. I also go by kV rating, not by turns. Turns only tells you how the motor was constructed, not its RPM... Unfortunately kV rating doesn't hand the amount of torque over to you either. For 540 size motors, a kV rating of 4000 give or take 1000 is probably where you want to be. Lower kV is OK! You aren't street racing, you want punch and low-end torque, not blinding top speed. I run a Reedy 3300kV motor that has plenty of punch for my hard-pack clay outdoor track - good lap times are a shade under 30 seconds. I also have a 4600kV Castle 1406 motor that I haven't used yet, because everbody says I'd be a lunatic to run something with much power and I'd have to de-tune the crap out of it.
i know this has nothing to do about the topic but i had a motor like that before i went to sensored stuff and to tell u the truth its very easy to get used to as long as you know how to control your car and know when to stop pushing your car to go faster
Old 02-28-2012, 11:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jf+

Torque isn't as much of an issue with on-road as with off-road. Off-road tires are HUGE and heavy and have a lot of rotating mass compared to on-road tires. That's why people say you'd be crazy to use a 4600kv motor in off-road, less torque but higher RPMs would heat that motor up rather quickly.

From a little searching, it would seem most people are running 4000kv and up on their Sakuras, so I'd say 4000kv would be a good starting point. You can always gear up or down depending on what you need from it (i.e., acceleration or top-end)
Old 03-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by elee32
are you planning on racing at a local track? If so, stop by there and see what everyone else is using, always easier that way if you have any troubles and there is someone who can help that is familiar. If you are just going to be on the road playing around, I would reccomend finding an esc motor combo, usually cheaper and less complex. 17.5 isn't tons of power, but it can be pretty fast as a newcomer. check on the sakura thread for more help there with the car and most importantly, have fun!
+1 track rats know best