Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2nd time rookie, need a good race buggy

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 07:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 2nd time rookie, need a good race buggy

I used to race r/c cars back in the late 90s early 2000s. the last car I had was an rc10T3 when it had just came out. I am now looking at getting back into the hobby, but it seems things have changed A LOT in the past 10 years. I am pretty confused on what car to buy. I will be racing 2wd electric buggy, simply because that is the most competitive class at my home track. What is a good car that will keep me competitive? Money is not really an issue, and this will be strictly for racing, no back yard bashing. What do you guys suggest? I also see that most cars come RTR. Do people even build their own cars any more? So basically I want a solid buggy with plenty of aftermarket parts that are readily available? Ideas please. Thanks
Old 02-24-2012, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tmr931
I used to race r/c cars back in the late 90s early 2000s. the last car I had was an rc10T3 when it had just came out. I am now looking at getting back into the hobby, but it seems things have changed A LOT in the past 10 years. I am pretty confused on what car to buy. I will be racing 2wd electric buggy, simply because that is the most competitive class at my home track. What is a good car that will keep me competitive? Money is not really an issue, and this will be strictly for racing, no back yard bashing. What do you guys suggest? I also see that most cars come RTR. Do people even build their own cars any more? So basically I want a solid buggy with plenty of aftermarket parts that are readily available? Ideas please. Thanks
LOSI 22 and your good to go!
Old 02-24-2012, 09:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Look a few posts back in this thread, I had a topic about 1/10 buggy when I started onto the board not that long ago.

To summarize, the basic 3 to consider are generally the Losi 22, Associated RC 10 b4.1, and the Kyosho Ultima RB5. One of the biggest things you should consider is how easy it is to get both support and parts in your area.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

They all can/will be competitive with the right setup or driver so to look at some of the other factors for each...

B4.1 Pros: Cheapest, widespread. Tons of parts out there. Tons of cheap used ones out there.
Cons: Low fit/finish out of the box, kind of agricultural. Very made-in-China, not the Associated someone who last raced in the 90's would remember.

22 Pros: Can go mid-motor out of the box if you're racing carpet, astroturf or a very, very high bite surface.
Cons: Check local parts availability - some stores just don't stock much Losi anymore due to them being part of the Horizon distributorship corporate family. Also, see if anyone in your area who is fast is running one. By me, many have been shelved.

RB5 Pros: Best fit/finish out of the box in the 1/10th OffRoad world today. Made in Japan rather than China and it shows. Hard to setup so it won't work at least ok.
Cons: Expensive, even worse parts availability.

Durango Pros: Nobody else at your local track will likely have one so if you get it hooked up, you could have a bit of an advantage for a while.
Cons: What some call innovative, others will call quirky and the "pro" for the car may wind up being unachievable. Worse still for your local track just having parts on the shelf.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Tech Rookie

talked with the owner of my local track, all of the fast guys, including him, are running the losi 22. this car also has the most support in my area. I had him order one for me, it will be in tuesday. I can not wait to get this thing built. He is also selling me his Tekin 7.5 motor and RS Pro speed control for 175. They both have 5 races and are basically brand new. From what I have read, those are the best of the best. Is 175 a good deal?

Now I need help choosing a radio, charger, and batteries. I have already spent more on the car, motor, and esc than I was planning on spending for the whole setup, so I would like to keep these as inexpensive as possible, but I do not want junk. I have read that the 22 has limited space for electronics, so a small receiver is a plus. I can upgrade servos later, but obviously I want something pretty good to start with. The batteries have completely changed since I last raced, al I know is that I need LiPo, not sure why or what that means, but ive been told thats what I should get. The owner of the track said I could use his charger for the time being, but if there is a good, inexpensive charger, Ill go ahead and buy it. I am assuming that radios still come with receiver and servos correct?

I need your reccommendations on radio/receiver/servo package, LiPo batteries, and charger. Like I said, I will most likely upgrade in the future, but I want something that will last for a year or so, not give me any problems, and will keep me on a pretty level playing field, something with a very good bang for buck ratio. I am open to gently used items as well, so if anyone is selling any of the above items, please let me know. My track is closed this coming week and weekend for redesign, which is actually good because it will give me time to get everything set up. Im hoping to practice next wednesday and thursday, and depending how rusty I am, I might be racing the following weekend. I have not been this excited in a while. Please help me out. Thanks
Old 02-28-2012, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tmr931
talked with the owner of my local track, all of the fast guys, including him, are running the losi 22. this car also has the most support in my area. I had him order one for me, it will be in tuesday. I can not wait to get this thing built. He is also selling me his Tekin 7.5 motor and RS Pro speed control for 175. They both have 5 races and are basically brand new. From what I have read, those are the best of the best. Is 175 a good deal?

Now I need help choosing a radio, charger, and batteries. I have already spent more on the car, motor, and esc than I was planning on spending for the whole setup, so I would like to keep these as inexpensive as possible, but I do not want junk. I have read that the 22 has limited space for electronics, so a small receiver is a plus. I can upgrade servos later, but obviously I want something pretty good to start with. The batteries have completely changed since I last raced, al I know is that I need LiPo, not sure why or what that means, but ive been told thats what I should get. The owner of the track said I could use his charger for the time being, but if there is a good, inexpensive charger, Ill go ahead and buy it. I am assuming that radios still come with receiver and servos correct?

I need your reccommendations on radio/receiver/servo package, LiPo batteries, and charger. Like I said, I will most likely upgrade in the future, but I want something that will last for a year or so, not give me any problems, and will keep me on a pretty level playing field, something with a very good bang for buck ratio. I am open to gently used items as well, so if anyone is selling any of the above items, please let me know. My track is closed this coming week and weekend for redesign, which is actually good because it will give me time to get everything set up. Im hoping to practice next wednesday and thursday, and depending how rusty I am, I might be racing the following weekend. I have not been this excited in a while. Please help me out. Thanks

On Lipo's the Higher the mAh's and C's the longer run time and more power you get.

Again I think the best thing to do is see what the local guys are running are got the the Losi 22 thread on these boards and use the search function. It would probably serve you best.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...gy-thread.html
Old 02-28-2012, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

"They all can/will be competitive with the right setup or driver so to look at some of the other factors for each...
B4.1 Pros: Cheapest, widespread. Tons of parts out there. Tons of cheap used ones out there.
Cons: Low fit/finish out of the box, kind of agricultural. Very made-in-China, not the Associated someone who last raced in the 90's would remember."

This is why the B4.1 dominates at the worlds and about every other big race it shows up at right?
Old 02-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I would go wit the B4.1 Worlds Car..

You can learn more about it with the following link:
http://www.hobby-pros.com/Team-Assoc...-Kit_p_62.html

Hobby-Pros has some cheap prices so worth a shot
Old 03-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Funny discussion -

I just bought a 4.1 World- built it and decided I didn't want to run it.

I now have a 22 on the way.

The big sales point for me was durability.