Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone suggest a good engine porter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 12:35 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Engine modding is about timing and flow, not grinding and poilshing. Just look inside some of OS' latest engines. 3 ports and very little in the way of trickery. It's all about timing. Don't spend $80 trying to make a $125 engine faster. Buy a $250-$300 engine and know that it's right already.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:22 PM
Tech Master

mgt-

My comment wasn't geared towards TNT. It sounds like they have their stuff together. However; this thread isn't solely a TNT thread, and as Aaron mentioned there are a lot of "sub par" modders out there.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:56 PM
Tech Regular

when people like mgtman comes on a forum and promotes tntmods, especially over more established modders, Like EB or Jim Hott, then you have to wonder about his motives....

where did u get all those pics off tnt mods from? why would someone go to so much effort to give out information promoting someone else?

tnt have done lots of advertising in magazines and internet forum, it doesnt give him instant credibility
Old 10-04-2005, 03:04 PM
Tech Adept

I was planning on a new engine and getting it reworked a bit. The main thing that most everyone offers that I see so far is better fuel mileage, and it's my 1st priority. 2cd would be an overall easier to drive, faster motor. By what the guys at TNT have told me so far, looks promising. But for the most part, I'm gonna check into it further before sending just anyone an engine and 80 bucks

P.S.
And thanks Aaron for the heads up
Old 10-04-2005, 03:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Juall
I was planning on a new engine and getting it reworked a bit. The main thing that most everyone offers that I see so far is better fuel mileage, and it's my 1st priority. 2cd would be an overall easier to drive, faster motor. By what the guys at TNT have told me so far, looks promising. But for the most part, I'm gonna check into it further before sending just anyone an engine and 80 bucks

P.S.
And thanks Aaron for the heads up
the engien you have described is an unmodified OS VSPEC.

Run time 8 to 10minutes
Insane power all thru the rev range

best of all... they only cost $230!!!!
Old 10-04-2005, 03:49 PM
Tech Adept

I had also given a thought to that as well qwerty. Either that engine or an R&B S5. I'm sure both engines would suit my need well. It just seemed to me that I'm pleased for the most part with my current engine, but would like better fuel mileage. From what I've read modding will give you about 30-40% better fuel mileage. So I'm about 7-8 now, so should go anywhere from 9-11 with modding. That is, if where all the places I've been the information is correct however, as that's about the most I have to go on atm.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Juall
From what I've read modding will give you about 30-40% better fuel mileage..
lol yeah whoever feed u that is bullshitting you....

end of the day, the engine is restriccted to what sort of engine you have to begin with.... u cant turn a toyota starlet into a comaro v8, no matter what u do to it, it sometimes better to buy something better to start off without modifying it
Old 10-04-2005, 06:19 PM
Tech Addict

30 to 40 seconds maybe!
Old 10-04-2005, 06:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Jim Hottinger... He did all the mods for Paris for a number of years and still does them now.

www.fusionmotorsports.com

Give him a call. Yes, he sponsors me, but I don't think anyone out there can show a track record like him.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If all you care about is fuel economy, get a Collari 3 port. It will get 10-12 minutes and only costs $200 at most.

The V-Spec has great power and economy but the cheapest I have seen them for is $270 and that is before you add in the almost certain rear bearing replacement that within the first 1-2 gallons.

If you are serious about racing buy one of the good fuel economy engines (Vspec, Collari 3 or 7 port, or P5) and run it stock. Anything over 8 minutes is really not necessary unless it gets you over 10 minutes. Mains are usually 10, 15, 20, 30 minutes. 7.5 minute pit stops will get you through most mains nicely. 10 minutes can give an advantage but if the engine is not designed that way a modder can only do so much.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by windellmc
If all you care about is fuel economy, get a Collari 3 port. It will get 10-12 minutes and only costs $200 at most.

The V-Spec has great power and economy but the cheapest I have seen them for is $270 and that is before you add in the almost certain rear bearing replacement that within the first 1-2 gallons.

If you are serious about racing buy one of the good fuel economy engines (Vspec, Collari 3 or 7 port, or P5) and run it stock. Anything over 8 minutes is really not necessary unless it gets you over 10 minutes. Mains are usually 10, 15, 20, 30 minutes. 7.5 minute pit stops will get you through most mains nicely. 10 minutes can give an advantage but if the engine is not designed that way a modder can only do so much.
The collari 3 port will cost more than just 200 since you need to swap the carb out with something that actually works.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Supposedly they have made the 3 port carb slide out of a more durable material. That and setting the endpoints so the slide only opens enough to clear the carb throat instead of having it pull until it hits a stop are supposed to fix the problem.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Well, it's good to see that engine porting is a popular subject here. I'm new to the R/C world, having just gotten into it over the summer with a buddy and a couple of Electric R/C Trucks. Built a track in his backyard too.
I'm definately not new to 2-stroke engine building, and what I see in this forum has had me drooling for days. I finally joined yesterday. I use computer simulation, 2D & 3D CAD, and finite element analysis to design and modify 2-stroke engines for snowmobiles, watercraft, outboards, dirt bikes and competition chainsaws. The stuff you guys are running is insane!!! 30,000 rpm's on Nitro, unreal!!! Hope you don't mind if I just observe for a while in order to learn more about these wicked little engines you are using. I'll pop in to a thread once in a while if I feel I can lend a little insight from 20 yrs. of racing, riding and modifying engines. I've got a lot to learn this winter, and hopefully I'll start putting a truck together after christmas. We have a local Off-Road R/C race track in Kelowna BC, wondering if anyone else from Canada is around on this forum?
Old 10-08-2005, 06:02 PM
Tech Master

Rick Brake at RBMods is great. A few of my friends are sponsor by him and their motors fly and last for a very long time. Shoot Rick will call you if he hasn't heard from you in a while just to make sure everything is ok. If he wasn't so backed up with orders I would send some motors his way.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

JustPinIt- yep there are lots of us Canadians on these forums (I'm one of 'em!), just check out the Canadian RC scene forum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.