Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Best 1/8 buggy for bashing and and little racing? >

Best 1/8 buggy for bashing and and little racing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Best 1/8 buggy for bashing and and little racing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 08:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've bashed a AE RC8.2e for a while take a beating and does good on the track. Only recommendation reinforce the rear chassis brace. Only part that's broken.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Take a look at the basher sabertooth 1:8th scale truggy from hobbyking. Got plenty of get up and go for brushless and pretty affordable.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fenton06
If you still haven't bought anything a Tekno would be killer.
Yup, any of the EB48 series built like tanks AND EXCELLENT race cars.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? What 1/8 buggy for bashing and maybe some racing do you recommend? (must be RTR)

Hi, I always liked rc cars and now I can buy a better one. I always wanted to own a decent nitro 1/8 buggy. Some bashing, and maybe going in a track, it would be nice if im not completely humilliated, but im not looking forward customizing it because im a software guy and I have no idea how cars really work beyond the surface. It wouldn't be competitive but still you always want to do decent.

Anyway, which one would you recommend? I really like the TKI3 Readyset.

I remember Kyosho being a respected brand since I was a kid. How durable is that car? apparently it's a decent option if you want to do some casual racing as well as just bashing for fun. Price range no more than 450€.

What are gas prices these days and where do you store the gas? im living on a flat right now unfortunately I don't have a basement so im kinda worried about that.

And I want to ask about that odd looking wheel with an angle on the transmitter. Has anyone tried it? notice how it's angled. Is it comfortable or it will be weird feeling?

I also wonder what's the deal with all these weird looking bodykits these days. I like the one on that Kyosho, but for instance compare it to the new Tki4 one.

IMO tki3 looks better but whatever, I guess body is not that important, just my observation on aesthetics.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I would go with the TLR 8IGHT RTR.

I even have a thread about it where I document the very few upgrades needed to be a true contender.

Losi 8IGHT Nitro 1/8 4WD RTR Buggy - v.2016/17

Oh and that very car in the pictures, is for sale by yours truly if you're interested :-)
Old 02-02-2019, 04:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Evoking1230
I would go with the TLR 8IGHT RTR.

I even have a thread about it where I document the very few upgrades needed to be a true contender.

Oh and that very car in the pictures, is for sale by yours truly if you're interested :-)
Thanks. I asked somewhere else and I got told that RTR is a waste of money because they will drain a ton of money in repairments, because they are really shitty in terms of durability... so im not sure what to do now. I don't have the skill to build a kit myself neither have the time, but I don't want to claim bankruptcy if I buy a RTR and I need to buy spare parts everytime I go to a track to have some casual fun...

What other RTR ones would you recommend?

Btw that Losi has that body design i was talking about. I really don't know what they were thinking with that design. It's just me that finds it odd? it's like it's flipped and it's facing backwards, or like some sort of truggy-buggy weird hybrid. I really like the tki3 readyset design a lot compared to that. Maybe im taking crazy pills but to me it just looks like it's running into the opposite side. I can't post pics to illustrate unfortunately. It doesnt let me post links.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by buggybuggy
Thanks. I asked somewhere else and I got told that RTR is a waste of money because they will drain a ton of money in repairments, because they are really shitty in terms of durability... so im not sure what to do now. I don't have the skill to build a kit myself neither have the time, but I don't want to claim bankruptcy if I buy a RTR and I need to buy spare parts everytime I go to a track to have some casual fun...

Btw that Losi has that body design i was talking about. I really don't know what they were thinking with that design. It's just me that finds it odd? it's like it's flipped and it's facing backwards, or like some sort of truggy-buggy weird hybrid. I really like the tki3 readyset design a lot compared to that. Maybe im taking crazy pills but to me it just looks like it's running into the opposite side. I can't post pics to illustrate unfortunately. It doesnt let me post links.
Whoever told you that is an uneducated, uncultured swine

I have put it through its paces, and only bent a hinge pin.

Yes, RTR's do have a notorious reputation of being cheap, but this one breaks the mold.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

https://www.amainhobbies.com/losi-8i...s04011/p543247

i would get truggy for bashing lot more fun.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:00 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by buggybuggy

I probably wouldn’t recommend RTR for bashing, that is just asking for Broken parts and repairs. I’ve had 3-4 ready to run kits in my younger years, two years ago I bought Tekno nb48.3 Andy was amazed at the difference in quality of the parts. Yes’m RTR is gonna be cheaper initially, but in the long run, your better off buying a kit.

buy one on sale when they release a new version of that kit. Will save you some money, that’s what I did. I had never built a kit before and didn’t have a ton of time to work on it so it took me 3-4 weeks to assemble. After you build the kit work on buying your engine, then electronics, wheels and paint body. You will be much happier with what you have and you will also know how to disassemble and reassemble for repairs and maintaince. And when building a kit you don’t have to buy the most expensive parts, buy entry level engines for $150, $60 servos, $100 radio. And don’t buy top of the line wheels and tires, look at James racing or similar brand $40 per set.

Or look on eBay or the classifieds. you can probably pick up a kit someone else built with servos and good engine for $500 and quality will be much more superior than a ready to run.
Goof likes this.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I’d go with losi over kyosho for bashing. I break my tki4 arms a lot. Losi mainly need alum shocks and everything else is very dutable
Evoking1230 likes this.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Soyer
I’d go with losi over kyosho for bashing. I break my tki4 arms a lot. Losi mainly need alum shocks and everything else is very dutable
see...+1 for the Losi RTR ;-)
Old 03-09-2019, 06:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Either way, yes there are some RTR cars that are just asking for money to be dumped into them - Hong Nor etc. But as stated here too, there are some RTR cars that are well worth it, and with a few upgrades can get you to race buggy levels. TLR and Kyosho are well established with their Buggies, as such their RTR cars are pretty solid choices. Serpents RTR Cobra is nice too, yet keep in mind how hard or easy will it be to get spares for? Also look through the threads on some of these platforms to see what others are talking / discussing in regards to them, and what they have found works and what does not.

As a word of caution, the older MP9 Readyset cars only had 4 gear diffs, and as such were not 6 gear diffs like the race buggy. So look at these cars instruction manuals and exploded views to see what you may need to upgrade in the future.

- EDIT: I wanted to add that the Kyosho Buggy does come with rather Undesirable Phillips hardware, so there is that to keep in mind.

Last edited by 1/8 IC Fan; 03-09-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

same with the TLR RTR with the gear diffs. It only has 4 gear diffs in them, but surprisingly hold up very well to race conditions. I only upgraded the center diff to 6 gears because I had an extra 3.0 diff laying around. Otherwise, no issues on my end.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Serpent for the Novarossi engine alone. Pay the extra price now and enjoy it in the long run!
Old 03-21-2019, 10:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

So if I had the option to get a Tekno EB48.4 or a Losi 8ight 4.0 which would you all get?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.