Wiki Posts
Search

Polycarbonate paint choice

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 11:46 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Polycarbonate paint choice

I am new to painting but have a few bodies I will need to paint in the near future and would like to see what paint is preferred. I was looking at proline and duratrax not sure which one is better.
any suggestions are appreciated
Old 07-02-2021, 01:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

We use mostly Tamiya lexan paint for rattle can. Some duratrax for backer coats.

Last edited by Silverbullet555; 07-03-2021 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Tamiya and Pactra are quite popular, in my experience Tamiya paint seems to coat better, but I'd use either one if I could get a deal. If they were the same price I'd go with Tamiya.
Old 07-03-2021, 11:28 PM
Tech Master

Keep in mind that Testors discontinued the Pactra line last year. There may be some outlets that still have stock, but whatever they have, that will probably be it.

Anyway, that being said, if you’re looking at spray painting from a can, the aforementioned Tamiya lexan, or Duratrax lines are likely the way to go. If you are interested in airbrushing, your options open up a bit. There’s the Pro-Line paints, and there’s also Createx paints. Both are acrylics, as opposed to the lacquers that spray can paints usually are.
Old 07-09-2021, 08:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thank you all for you input
Old 07-09-2021, 08:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For Spray Cans: I've tried everything else and will now only use Tamiya PS and Spaz Stix (https://www.hobbyrecreationproducts.com/pages/spazstix)
Old 07-09-2021, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I like Tamiya PS paints because the nozzle they use on their cans makes the paint come out in a finer mist. This makes it easier to apply multiple lighter coats.

When using rattle paint cans....
- don't hold the can too close to the body when painting.
- light coats are better
- you can use a hair dryer to speed up the drying process between coats (make sure to check any paint masking tape after using the hair dryer)
- decals can make any paint scheme look better

Regardless of which paint you choose, make sure to wash the body out with dish soap/plenty of water and completely dry before painting.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Painting

Proline is made by Createx and there is another popular named one (cant remember ) that is marketed like Proline but is also Createx. If you plan on only a few here or there then I suggest the Tamiya polycarbonate rattle cans.. I posted one I did with it and Testors model paint (highlights with a brush) it takes longer with the Tamiya paint but if you dont already have an airbrush setup then its the cheaper way to go.. You can also use a combination of the Tamiya and Createx (airbrush highlights) .. So theres several ways of skinning that cat.. Mine didnt turn out too bad .. Wanted to see the cheapest way of doing one custom like.. Good luck
Old 07-28-2021, 06:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Painting

Tamiya Spray cans and a little Testors playing..
My hands aren't as steady as they once were..
Old 07-29-2021, 08:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Another vote for Tamiya PS rattle cans. If I did more than a couple bodies a year, I'd invest in an airbrush setup.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:38 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by IbeBondo0151
I posted one I did with it and Testors model paint (highlights with a brush)
It is not recommenced to use regular model paint on Polycarbonate bodies.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:42 AM
Tech Master

Proline is made by Createx and there is another popular named one (cant remember ) that is marketed like Proline but is also Createx. If you plan on only a few here or there then I suggest the Tamiya polycarbonate rattle cans.. I posted one I did with it and Testors model paint (highlights with a brush) it takes longer with the Tamiya paint but if you dont already have an airbrush setup then its the cheaper way to go.. You can also use a combination of the Tamiya and Createx (airbrush highlights) .. So theres several ways of skinning that cat.. Mine didnt turn out too bad .. Wanted to see the cheapest way of doing one custom like.. Good luck
I never got confirmation, but you might be thinking of Parma/PSE Faskolor? By the time they came out, I was already airbrushing with Createx and using Pactra in the jar (slightly thinned) as a seal coat for my Nitro bodies.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by mrreet2001
What are the negatives to using Testors on Lexan? I used some to do a grunge stroke on a buggy body...been holding up OK for a few months now, backed with Tamiya PS.

Old 07-29-2021, 02:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Testors

Originally Posted by mrreet2001
Testors also makes Acrylic paints. Picked up a 10 piece box of the major colors at Hobby Lobby for 13.99.. Washes up with water and it's tough to get off to almost impossible when dried on the Polycarbonate bodies..
Old 07-30-2021, 05:18 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Testors also makes Acrylic paints. Picked up a 10 piece box of the major colors at Hobby Lobby for 13.99.. Washes up with water and it's tough to get off to almost impossible when dried on the Polycarbonate bodies..
Originally Posted by RynoRC
What are the negatives to using Testors on Lexan? I used some to do a grunge stroke on a buggy body...been holding up OK for a few months now, backed with Tamiya PS.
Non polycarbonate paints do not have the necessary flex agent. They are MUCH MUCH more likely to crack / peel / flake on impact. If you want to take that chance on your body that's on you, but please don't recommend it to new painters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.